You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen

Gnasher

I rate Allen quite highly.  I think he's a better footballer than Henderson - he's certainly braver and better at holding on to the ball in tight areas.  If ever we get a decent midfield, I suspect he'll be part of it.   

If we are to ever have a decent midfield again he certainly wont be part of it.

• Upvote 1

Atleast next season Allen will have a player next to him in Milner who is somewhere near to his ability on the ball, he may be able to pass to him and expect him to deal with being pressed.

It would also help if he was actually allowed to play the Xavi role instead of the Busquets role.

Allen will be back up to Henderson and Milner.

Atleast next season Allen will have a player next to him in Milner who is somewhere near to his ability on the ball, he may be able to pass to him and expect him to deal with being pressed.

It would also help if he was actually allowed to play the Xavi role instead of the Busquets role.

I think rodgers knows where to play his player mate he finished 2nd

I think rodgers knows where to play his player mate he finished 2nd

Unfortunately for Allen he has been filling in for other players ever since he came here when Lucas got injured straight away.

One thing I would criticise BR for is his handling of Allen, when I was saying Allen was unreplaceable I was considering a lot of factors like his low wage and his professionalism where he doesn't moan when benched or shifted around.

That seems to have worked against him now as he was dropped to the bench while inferior players like Henderson started ahead of him when Gerrard was put back in the team, I'm hoping this was because BR was keeping Henderson sweet so he would sign his contract.

I still think we may go for a dm unlike others, when BR came here Lucas was a starter the first two seasons up until Gerrard was moved there.If that happens Allen should get a chance further forward and if Henderson doesn't considerably improve his form Allen should be ahead of him.

Unfortunately for Allen he has been filling in for other players ever since he came here when Lucas got injured straight away.

One thing I would criticise BR for is his handling of Allen, when I was saying Allen was unreplaceable I was considering a lot of factors like his low wage and his professionalism where he doesn't moan when benched or shifted around.

That seems to have worked against him now as he was dropped to the bench while inferior players like Henderson started ahead of him when Gerrard was put back in the team, I'm hoping this was because BR was keeping Henderson sweet so he would sign his contract.

I still think we may go for a dm unlike others, when BR came here Lucas was a starter the first two seasons up until Gerrard was moved there.If that happens Allen should get a chance further forward and if Henderson doesn't considerably improve his form Allen should be ahead of him.

I like the way your first factor for considering whether someone is irreplaceable or not is their low wages, nothing to do with their actual ability or performances on the pitch or anything like that. FSG have taught you well.

Milner in the Busquets role would be worse than Allen. People can say what they like about Allen but he's better on the ball than Henderson and Milner in terms of keeping it. Henderson and Milner are grafters who can add a good final ball, not players who can affect a game much in central midfield.

• Upvote 1

When I see this bumped, I expected to see Bournemouth have launched a 4million bid.

Has he ever been linked with another team since he has been here.

I think we'd be more or less be offered our money back because of the Premier League market. There's always a West Ham, Sunderland or a Stoke prepared to take Premier League proven players off us.

Like with the Borini deal though or Lambert in January he'd say no and we'll end up with fuck all when he does go. I'd keep him as a squad player though to be fair.

Joe Allen's alright, I quite like him, but he's one of a collection of tidy little players who seem wedded to a supposed system to make them flourish, and will never change a game on their own. Our squad looks almost intentionally stripped of any characters, and as much as he has some qualities to be lauded, Allen's become pretty indicative of the type of non Alpha male we've been steadily accruing these last few years.

If the vision isn't coming from the owners, then you'd hope it'd come from the manager, but when it's not apparent there you need players who won't accept what happened at Stoke, rather than reasonable CMs who constantly look to the manager for instruction.

• Upvote 1

Joe Allen's alright, I quite like him, but he's one of a collection of tidy little players who seem wedded to a supposed system to make them flourish, and will never change a game on their own. Our squad looks almost intentionally stripped of any characters, and as much as he has some qualities to be lauded, Allen's become pretty indicative of the type of non Alpha male we've been steadily accruing these last few years.

If the vision isn't coming from the owners, then you'd hope it'd come from the manager, but when it's not apparent there you need players who won't accept what happened at Stoke, rather than reasonable CMs who constantly look to the manager for instruction.

He's a good footballer but he seems the docile type Rodgers likes. He doesn't want the likes of Reina, Carragher and Agger prepared to be forthright when needed. The captain candidacies are the likes of Milner and Henderson who run around a lot on the pitch but Milner hardly seems the type to bust a few heads or offer genuine leadership. The one real leader left is probably Toure who will get minimal playing time.

I rate Allen quite highly. I think he's a better footballer than Henderson - he's certainly braver and better at holding on to the ball in tight areas. If ever we get a decent midfield, I suspect he'll be part of it.

Totally disagree.

Your bias against Henderson is almost as bad as some of your anti Rafa stuff.

Allen is an average player without goals while Henderson is above average with a few goals thrown in.

Neither really ideal but Henderson's abilities are more useful than Allen.

• Upvote 2

I like the way your first factor for considering whether someone is irreplaceable or not is their low wages, nothing to do with their actual ability or performances on the pitch or anything like that. FSG have taught you well.

My point was we wouldn't be able to sell him and get someone as good as him on the same low wages who would tolerate being moved around and dropped like Allen has been.

I think we will play three in midfield most games next season either in a 433 or 442 diamond so he should get a chance in his favoured position.I think we have to be looking at getting someone in as a dm even if they are a backup player as Lucas will be leaving.

• Downvote 1

Totally disagree.

Your bias against Henderson is almost as bad as some of your anti Rafa stuff.

Allen is an average player without goals while Henderson is above average with a few goals thrown in.

Neither really ideal but Henderson's abilities are more useful than Allen.

I'm not biased against Henderson, I just don't think he's as good as I thought he'd be when he joined.  I thought he'd be a really good, energetic, box to box midfielder with athleticism, bravery, good decision making and technique.    Turns out he's only some of these things, and then only so often.   I guess it's only bias when it isn't the same as your opinion.  

I thought Suarez was fantastic, but then I was biased.  I think Allen is better than Henderson.  You think the opposite.  We're both biased.   Or maybe it's just opinion. 

Have him stuffed and mounted, and give him to Stringvest as a conversation piece.

He'd go straight into the cupboard under the stairs.  

Let's see what he can do this season.  I still think he has most of the tools required to be a much better player than he has been for us to date.   I want him to be great.  I want all our players to be great.  Then we'll have a team full of great players.  Then Brendan should be able to win things.