You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sterling's form demands new improved deal (ESPN article)

tlw content

by Dave Usher for ESPN

"He's usually the best player on the pitch".

That was a quote last week from Liverpool's young Spanish midfielder Suso when discussing Raheem Sterling. He's right. More often than not in 2014 Sterling has indeed been the best player on the field, even when he has shared that field with much more established and illustrious names.

Sterling's rise has not exactly been meteoric -- he was tipped for stardom from a very young age -- but he does seem to be developing much faster than expected.

Liverpool knew he'd be good, but did they know he'd be this good, this soon? It seems preposterous now, but 12 months ago you could have made a very strong argument that Sterling should have been loaned out to a Championship side after a promising start to first team life looked to have fizzled out.

A year on he's now consistently one of the Premier League's best players week in week out.

Was anyone actually surprised that he was the star turn during England's drab 1-0 victory in front of a half empty Wembley Stadium last Wednesday night? It would have been more surprising if he wasn't; he's the country's most in-form player based on the opening three games.

The progress in his game over the past nine or ten months is such that he is now outplaying his contract; a contract which initially seemed a little on the high side when he signed it in December 2012.

For 12 months Sterling's performances never justified his increased salary, but now they are exceeding it by some distance.

Read the rest of the article here.

Click here to view the article

Sterling deserves a new contract, no question, as much to reward his excellent performance as to look after our own interests too. I don't know about handing a 19 year old kid 100k, as suggested, no matter how good. You don't want to tell the boy that he has reached the pinnacle already and it's just a comfortable retirement after this. I believe something in the region of 70/80k with a buy-out price tag of 60/70m should be in order--subject to review after a two- year period. If he continues to progress on the present trajectory, anything is possible for him after that. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think we need to be careful. If he wants a new contract with some more basic wage, in return for another couple of years on his contract and a massive buyout clause (one that says 'starting' amount... you know, where if you off 85m we start talking to you) then fine, but making him crazy offers can backfire. He's just a kid. Still, I trust Rodgers to get that one right. He seems to know how to deal with players and contracts, etc.

A good, promising, youngster, who did not excel at the world cup and who has yet to test himself in the CL.

At the end of this season, if he has been a key figure in England's Euro qualifying campaign and has acquitted himself well in our CL campaign then we will need to review matters, but not before then.

A great read for his agent and bank manager, but the lad still has much to prove.

A good, promising, youngster, who did not excel at the world cup and who has yet to test himself in the CL.

At the end of this season, if he has been a key figure in England's Euro qualifying campaign and has acquitted himself well in our CL campaign then we will need to review matters, but not before then.

A great read for his agent and bank manager, but the lad still has much to prove.

If he has a great domestic season & Champions League for Liverpool I don't see why we would care about his England form, plenty of greats down the years have failed to regularly turn it on for their country.

• Upvote 1

He was playing for Roy Hodgson.

• Upvote 2

Agree with the view that he needs to show this sort of form throughout the season. It is mainly those in the media and probably his agent that are in a rush to have him tied to a new lucrative deal off the back of his form over the past year, and in these situations they love to try and suggest that the player could move on if he's not offered a new deal. I'd point out to Raheem that he won't get the same room to develop like he has here if he were to move on to one of the financially doped clubs or one of Spain's big two, and it is our development of him and others that has helped him reach the level he's currently at.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

the lad still has much to prove.

He has a lot to prove he's one of the best players in the world, he's already proven beyond doubt that he's one of the best young players in the world with all the attributes to be one of the best in the world.

If you don't pay players their value you get what happens at Dortmund where they get paid well elsewhere. Or at Arsenal where players see it as a stepping stone to other clubs. People assume it is in the players interest only, it is in the clubs interest to preserve the players value and have good relations with the player and his agent.

But there is zero indication he is unhappy or would even consider anywherelse. Here is hoping he keeps progressing and is so good he can get a payrise every year. As for buyout clauses i hate them. What is seen as fair value as a clause one year can be seen as a giveaway the next. Not too mention it plants seeds in all parties. I doubt there will be problems with Sterling. But Sturridge and his injury record might pose some sort of dilemma.

I agree with everything you say Dave, but the hype around the lad is becoming potentially damaging in my view. He's in front of the mic too often and cited as being the saviour of England by everyone and yet he's 19. Pay him the money but keep him out of sight and rest him a bit before the backlash/injuries begin.

• Upvote 3

I agree with everything you say Dave, but the hype around the lad is becoming potentially damaging in my view. He's in front of the mic too often and cited as being the saviour of England by everyone and yet he's 19. Pay him the money but keep him out of sight and rest him a bit before the backlash/injuries begin.

The press are building up expectations nicely so they can blame him for England's dismal performances, as they do with all the young kids they hype and then burn, despite abysmal management.

The press are building up expectations nicely so they can blame him for England's dismal performances, as they do with all the young kids they hype and then burn, despite abysmal management.

Some tried it the other day until Hendo stepped in. He shouldn't be in front of the mic at 19, in my view.

He can have a rise linked to inflation like every other fucker (if they're lucky) and fuck off if he doesn't like it.

this whole players salary business needs to be sorted, you can't just keep throwing more and more money at players.

scrap transfer fees and bring in salary caps, somehow, I don't care how, just do it.