You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina claims he's here to stay

tlw content

Honestly don't know. Not if he doesn't want to be at the club. Very unconvinced with Mignolet.

I have been very impressed with Mignolet, personally. I view him as Rodgers third best signing. He's flawed, certainly. That instinct you have, from having watched a lot of football, that a keeper is dodgy? I had that a few times during the title run in. However, I'm of the view that those flaws look a lot more pronounced, because Rodgers doesn't know how to/has little interest in drilling a back 5, and I'm happy for him to be our number for a few years.

• Upvote 1

I think he is a great shot stopper but that is basically the standard back handed compliment for a keeper. I'd love him to sort the rest of his game but he needs to make huge improvements in certain areas, and quickly.

I do, however, entirely agree with what you say about Rodgers and his need to make the style of play a little more pragmatic. Because as good as our attacking options still are, they're a lot more predictable without Suarez, and a lot easier to come up with a plan to nullify.

I have complete faith in the manager. One of his biggest attributes seems to be learning from his mistakes, and righting his wrongs. I also believe he's shown himself to be fairly ruthless when he's had to. Mignolet needs to work on a few aspects of his game, that their is no doubt. Either one or two things will happen. He'll either improve on his weaknesses or he'll be fucked off. I've no doubts about the manager shirking such a decision.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. Both are serviceable enough if they're part of a defensive unit that can accommodate their weaknesses and play to their strengths. The list of shaky keepers still plying their trade in the CL is surprisingly long.

I agree Mig's got holes in his game, but I also think he looks more error prone than he actually is due to a certain nerviness. Our defence leaked goals, let players take shots from distance, our fullbacks rarely stopped crosses and our CBs had a habit of clattering people and sticking the ball into our goal. Who wouldn't look nervy?

Give Mig a chance with a settled CB pairing, hopefully with one player marshalling things (Lovren?), and at least one assured fullback before writing him off completely.

I doubt the defence will ever be setup to suit the weaknesses of the players though.  That's what Rafa did. That's why IMO, slightly better than average players like Agger, Reina, Skrtel et al looked much better than they do now.  Rodgers will setup the defence to suit the attack and they will adapt or die.

• Upvote 2

I doubt the defence will ever be setup to suit the weaknesses of the players though.  That's what Rafa did. That's why IMO, slightly better than average players like Agger, Reina, Skrtel et al looked much better than they do now.  Rodgers will setup the defence to suit the attack and they will adapt or die.

I agree, we won't be setting up to suit their weaknesses, but we can still work around them better than we have.

I honestly don't think it's a given that Rodgers will set up the defence to suit the attack, it assumes he's a coach with a pedigree of all out attack, when in reality it was only last season where defensive duties looked shaky due to the focus on attacking play. He's now without Suarez, and the team will need to adapt to that. 

He's adapting as well, growing as a coach. He's switched formations, styles and I wouldn't put it past him to do so again, this time with a slightly more pragmatic approach to defensive duties. It won't be Rafa-esque, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it somewhere between the blunt solidity of his first season and the exciting yet cavalier approach of last.

I agree, we won't be setting up to suit their weaknesses, but we can still work around them better than we have.

I honestly don't think it's a given that Rodgers will set up the defence to suit the attack, it assumes he's a coach with a pedigree of all out attack, when in reality it was only last season where defensive duties looked shaky due to the focus on attacking play. He's now without Suarez, and the team will need to adapt to that. 

He's adapting as well, growing as a coach. He's switched formations, styles and I wouldn't put it past him to do so again, this time with a slightly more pragmatic approach to defensive duties. It won't be Rafa-esque, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it somewhere between the blunt solidity of his first season and the exciting yet cavalier approach of last.

You could be right.  Setting up a team without Suarez is a completely different proposition, so who knows how that will shake out.  I see a lot of his Swansea in us though, deliberately sacrificing space at the back for numbers up front.  Combined with the utter disdain he demonstrated for the defence first strategy on show during the chelsea game, I think it's more likely he'll keep twisting on center backs till he gets the right pairing.

On paper, Reina fits the bill of the ball playing sweeperkeeper.

I just get the impression he's not switched on enough, his concentration wavers and his waning fitness can't bail him out anymore. A proper sweeperkeeper has to be alert as fuck and pragmatic, you need to KNOW you can get to that ball before the striker, otherwise it's a red card. I think Reina would back himself every time but he's not as quick as he thinks he is, and his starting position would probably be poor because he's not fully concentrated and positioned himself in the minutes leading upto the chance.

Another issue with Reina is that he palms shots back into danger zones. There's a YT vid of his time at Napoli and he's still doing it regularly.

Finally, I think you need presence and stature in the nets. You have to back a keeper with a bigger reach, bigger hands, and who is taller. That's the starting point. If you get one that can play football with his feet, a la Ter Stegen and Neuer, that's the lottery win.

You could be right.  Setting up a team without Suarez is a completely different proposition, so who knows how that will shake out.  I see a lot of his Swansea in us though, deliberately sacrificing space at the back for numbers up front.  Combined with the utter disdain he demonstrated for the defence first strategy on show during the chelsea game, I think it's more likely he'll keep twisting on center backs till he gets the right pairing.

Think that within the context of the title being on the line and us needing points, he was right.

Good to see you posting around these parts, though. I feared Usher's disastrous management of the forum had forced you to take your talents elsewhere.

Mignolet is easily good enough and will continue to improve so fuck da haterz

in all seriousness though I think he had a great start with us and was a little shaky at times during the run in but he has the natural ability to be an amazing keeper and hopefully as he gets used to playing at the highest level he'll err out the weaknesses in his game, distribution and coming for crosses etc, but unlike Reina who was replaced by his evil twin brother in 2010 he actually stops balls going in the net so he is clearly the better one

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He had one last year.

He fucking didn't. He had a defence that made mistake after mistake, can't defend crosses and hasn't been able to in years and years, and fullbacks who allow shot after shot from players who cut in.

He fucking didn't. He had a defence that made mistake after mistake, can't defend crosses and hasn't been able to in years and years, and fullbacks who allow shot after shot from players who cut in.

Do you think we'll be selling Johnson, Skrtel, Flanagan, Sakho, Enrique,  this window?

It'll be largely the same players as last year.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Do you think we'll be selling Johnson, Skrtel, Flanagan, Sakho, Enrique, this window?

It'll be largely the same players as last year.

I think we will have two of the four first teamers replaced. Lovren and a left back. Hopefully it'll be settled.