You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bread Thread

Remmie

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Bread, and carbs in general, are the fucking devil's food. I fucking love them so much. I could wake up, have a couple of bagels with cream cheese and ham, then have rolls/baguettes/sandwiches for lunch, then chip butties for tea with an egg or something. I could basically live on bagels, cheese, ham, eggs, and chips. Instead, you've got to eat fucking broccoli n' all that jazz.

• Upvote 1

When I used to walk home from school aged about 8 or 9 one of the lads I was mates with always nipped into the bakery to get a plain bread roll. Everyone else, like normal kids, bought a load of sweets and crisps from the shop next door. He didn't get ridiculed or anything, but most people thought he was a bit odd.

Lad was well, well, ahead of his time.

Tesco Mediterranean bread, I have this buttered and sliced thin with seasoned fries for an upmarket chip butty:

Lidoff_225x225.jpg

I got some walnut bread the other day from Marks & Spencer because it was reduced, and that was quite lovely too.

My favourite everyday loaf is this, £1 for 800g at Iceland:

soya-and-linseed-bread1.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On the subject of bread, how boss is toast?

With butter on. Non of this large nonsense.

And, it's also slightly ironic/annoying that the Warburtons Toastie, a load which markets itself on it's suitability for toasting, is one of the very few loads which is too tall/long to actually fit in most standard toasters properly, this leaving you with a slice of bread which is 3/4 toast, 1/4 untoasted, albeit warm, bread.

On the subject of bread, how boss is toast?

With butter on. Non of this large nonsense.

And, it's also slightly ironic/annoying that the Warburtons Toastie, a load which markets itself on it's suitability for toasting, is one of the very few loads which is too tall/long to actually fit in most standard toasters properly, this leaving you with a slice of bread which is 3/4 toast, 1/4 untoasted, albeit warm, bread.

Are Warburtons the ones who did that annoying marketing campaign a year or so back about 'call Mr Warburton and talk about bread', and radio adverts where some guy is talking about how much he loves toast while his missus is fart arsing around in the background?  Call him up and vent your spleen son because I agree that shit is not acceptable in this day and age.

It needs to fit in a standard sized fucking toaster or whats the point?

Have been eating Hovis seeded bread lately, like it toasted usually. The more seeds the better as well, for the omega-3 oils (from linseed/flax seeds) and vitamins and minerals. The Hovis one is about 14% seeds which seems quite decent. Also like naan bread with curry every now and then.

Bread, and carbs in general, are the fucking devil's food. I fucking love them so much. I could wake up, have a couple of bagels with cream cheese and ham, then have rolls/baguettes/sandwiches for lunch, then chip butties for tea with an egg or something. I could basically live on bagels, cheese, ham, eggs, and chips. Instead, you've got to eat fucking broccoli n' all that jazz.

I practically fucking live off carbs (bread, pasta, couscous, beans/pulses, potatoes etc), yet I'm a skinny twat.

What's all that aboot then Dr. Atkins?

(Not having a go at you NV, I hasten to add).

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I practically fucking live off carbs (bread, pasta, couscous, beans/pulses, potatoes etc), yet I'm a skinny twat.

What's all that aboot then Dr. Atkins?

(Not having a go at you NV, I hasten to add).

You are what's known in the scientific community and the health and diet community as a lucky cunt.

Have been eating Hovis seeded bread lately, like it toasted usually. The more seeds the better as well, for the omega-3 oils (from linseed/flax seeds) and vitamins and minerals. The Hovis one is about 14% seeds which seems quite decent. Also like naan bread with curry every now and then.

Seeded breads are definitely where it's at. White crusty bread topped with poppy seeds is also amazing.

The Chewy Brown from Real Patisserie in Brighton. Nothing comes close . The mutts nuts.

I would like to try this.

However Brighton, boss as it is, is a bit of a hike for the purchase of a mere loaf. I will just have to make do with Waitrose's malted grain baguettes, which are delightfully crispy on the outside, sublimely soft in the middle.

Yeah, I'm a home counties, Waitrose-shopping* snob.

*I buy virtually nothing from Waitrose apart from the aforementioned baguettes and the occasional interesting bottled ale (of which Fuller's Vintage, when available, is the pick of the bunch).