You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez bite v2

Chippo

I'm feeling positive. We have a good squad which is fairly young. I think we've made some good (if not spectacular) signings so far. If we get Sanchez/Shaqiri and a full back or two I'd be very happy.

Even without Suarez we have a good team and manager. The future is bright from my perspective.

• Upvote 2

He can train, FIFA climbed down this morning, I think it might break some employment rules

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/03/luis-suarez-training-suspension-fifa

They really do need to put some clarity on this statement then:

The player Luis Suárez is banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) for a period of four (4) months in accordance with art. 22 of the FDC.

If the Guardian quotes are indeed correct, then it makes FIFA look even more contradictory, than ever before.

They really do need to put some clarity on this statement then:

The player Luis Suárez is banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) for a period of four (4) months in accordance with art. 22 of the FDC.

If the Guardian quotes are indeed correct, then it makes FIFA look even more contradictory, than ever before.

They made a grand statement to deflect from all the other anti-FIFA shit that is going on and now they are backing down as they realise that they cannot possibly get away with it. Doesn't matter though as the distraction has already occurred

We will have sold him for whatever the release clause was.  Now if the number in the release clause was low, you have to ask yourself why?  

Suarez wanted away last year.

He made it clear he was desperate to play for a big Spanish club.

He would refuse to sign a contract extension without a favourable release clause.

He proved his commitment to the cause last year.

The key negotiations were probably done between Liverpool and Suarez's agent prior to him signing the contract extension.  This week's negotiations have probably been focussed on the terms of the payment.  

• Upvote 3

If it's his buyout fee then there's not much we can do. No way would he or his wanky agent have agreed to a world record fee in his contract as it would limit his escape strategy.

That would have to be the scenario, can be no other explaination why we'd accept it.

He's the clubs biggest asset and even if we have had enough I am certain we could have negotiated a larger fee (If the release clause wasn't met).

It depends on the risk and sponsors in the background.

We just seemed amenable to getting rid of him this time round.