You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

The thing that people keep throwing around is 20m and stating 'one very good season'.

You guys realize that he's at one of the most defensive clubs in the league, right?

By most defensive you mean 6th on goal difference, 9th on goals scored?

I obviously don't know the exact figures those players are on but according to reports there's no way Lallanna will be on anything like the amount the above players are getting per week. Compered to our rivals i wouldn't say Lallanna will be that expensive, though a lot of people seem concerned with the cost.

As for Lallanna being a one season wonder he has been picked in the team of the year awards in three of the last four years, although at a lower level. I wouldn't dismiss good Championship form, Ramsey, Allen, Bale, Ricky Lambert all learnt their trade in the lower leagues. Every signings a gamble but Lallanna far less of a gamble imo than most of the players we are being linked with.

When you[re paying £20-25m, you should be minimising the gamble, and there is no way that's the case with Lallana. 

You mention those players, but Ramsey signed for Arsenal as a kid, Bale was a foetus, and Ricky Lambert has been decent. If that's the extent that you're highlighting successes, then I think we're still taking a massive gamble with Lallana.

I genuinely hope he's as great as people seem to think he is, but we're in a great position now, and I don't think he's the signing to propel us on again. There are so many windows we can keep fucking up.

Chelsea sold a German who'd hardly played for them, for a massive fee in summer, but if Lallana doesn't work out, then we won't be getting half of our money back again on yet another expensive signing.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same things over again and expecting different results. I'd rather try something different whilst we're in a position to do so.

I mean they build their play around 2 midfielders protecting the backfour. You know, using less attacking players, than say... us.

But two midfielders back doesn't automatically make a team defensive especially when you consider the full backs both bomb on.

We have better players but don't think Southampton can be described as defensive even if it's only to reinforce a point.

• Upvote 2

But two midfielders back doesn't automatically make a team defensive especially when you consider the full backs both bomb on.

We have better players but don't think Southampton can be described as defensive even if it's only to reinforce a point.

I would definitely describe them as Defensive.  

When you[re paying £20-25m, you should be minimising the gamble, and there is no way that's the case with Lallana. 

You mention those players, but Ramsey signed for Arsenal as a kid, Bale was a foetus, and Ricky Lambert has been decent. If that's the extent that you're highlighting successes, then I think we're still taking a massive gamble with Lallana.

I genuinely hope he's as great as people seem to think he is, but we're in a great position now, and I don't think he's the signing to propel us on again. There are so many windows we can keep fucking up.

Chelsea sold a German who'd hardly played for them, for a massive fee in summer, but if Lallana doesn't work out, then we won't be getting half of our money back again on yet another expensive signing.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same things over again and expecting different results. I'd rather try something different whilst we're in a position to do so.

Well, shit the bed. Let's not sign anyone, then. Everyone comes with a risk.

He's a good player.

We had a summer of signing up and coming players who contributed nothing to the team to do the same again would be my definition of insanity.

i'd sooner spend 60mil on three very good players who the manager wants than a truck load of Aspases.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Sapspaz?

We're saying he's a Russian spy? No fucking wonder he hasn't been playing well, he has been busy protecting the interests of the Motherland.

I'm undecided on this guy.  On the negative side he looks like he's watched one too many episodes of Mad Men with the smart hair, beard and all that. On the plus side he looks like a clever player with unflappable technique at times.  Head says maybe but at £25m the heart says Downing.  

• Upvote 1

Will you get ninety minutes from him?subbed a few times over last eighteen months

He played in all 38 league games this season, averaging 81.2 minutes for a total of 3,086 minutes.

Only two Liverpool outfield players managed more minutes on the pitch (Skrtel and Henderson).

Only 17 outfield players in the league spent more time on the pitch.

Among midfielders and forwards in the league, Lallana clocked the 7th highest number of minutes.

• Upvote 3