You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

Coutinho is sulking. The knock against him when he was at Vasco was that he doesn't score goals. He hasn't scored many with us and has essentially played himself out of any chance of being selected for the WC, hence his disappearing act. He was here to showcase himself for the Brazilian team and hasn't done enough.

He'll want out in the summer.

We're not actually that good. In fact, we're not even particularly close.

If we do get in the Champions League, I'm not convinced we'd get out the group. Or even into the group, for that matter.

Jordan Henderson’s not as good as people are making out. Steven Gerrard is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

This new obsession with 'a high, aggressive press', 'tiki-taka' passing and how we 'just don't get' youth development in this country pisses me right off. People watch Monday Night Football, follow Rory Smith on Twitter and go to a foreign game when they're on holiday and suddenly think they're like some footballing demi-God, who 'appreciates' the game.

Whilst Hicks and Gillett royally fucked us over, if we’d have spent half the money we’ve had well over the past 20 years, we’d be in a far, far better position than we are today.

RAWK ought to be taken offline*

*This may not be the absolute opposite of an unpopular opinion.

We're not actually that good. In fact, we're not even particularly close.

If we do get in the Champions League, I'm not convinced we'd get out the group. Or even into the group, for that matter.

Jordan Henderson’s not as good as people are making out. Steven Gerrard is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

This new obsession with 'a high, aggressive press', 'tiki-taka' passing and how we 'just don't get' youth development in this country pisses me right off. People watch Monday Night Football, follow Rory Smith on Twitter and go to a foreign game when they're on holiday and suddenly think they're like some footballing demi-God, who 'appreciates' the game.

Whilst Hicks and Gillett royally fucked us over, if we’d have spent half the money we’ve had well over the past 20 years, we’d be in a far, far better position than we are today.

RAWK ought to be taken offline*

*This may not be the absolute opposite of an unpopular opinion.

Hi Frode. 

Some of our fans are uber knobs.

Either complete surrender monkeys, discounting our chances in pretty much every game or gloaters/trolls, who actually revel in us getting beat or in a player playing poorly, so they can use it as fuel for their agendas against the manager or certain players, or just to enhance their own "rep" by saying "I told you so" etc etc.

Not a Si/Cundy style rant, but just sick of so called fans who have us out the FA Cup and have all but conceded the upcoming derby already.

• Upvote 1

I hate the word 'banter' it's what arse holes use to describe abuse on twitter.

Except Sakho our defence is fucking garbage.

Forget signing wingers in jan we need a DM, LB and RB of world class quality.

Beans on a fry up is on par with full blown aids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We missed the boat in not selling Gerrard after Istanbul. His presence at the club has, and will hold us back until he retires.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

that's a big call Chrissy Baby.

In view of the fact that we've lost Lucas in the short term (at least) and the only other possible quality DM -  Andy Carroll - has left permanently, I think, in all honestly, we must give Mr Gerrard the benefit of the doubt.

that's a big call Chrissy Baby.

In view of the fact that we've lost Lucas in the short term (at least) and the only other possible quality DM - Andy Carroll - has left permanently, I think, in all honestly, we must give Mr Gerrard the benefit of the doubt.

Oh I wouldnt sell him now.

You simply wouldn't get enough money to justify all the fan furore.

But his presence has been like a noose around the neck of the club at times.

Even now it's a "play him at all costs" kind of thing. I can literally count on both hands how many great games he's had for us in the past 3 years, yet he's still the first name on the sheet when half fit.

And then there's the fact both himself and Carra basically picked Hodgson over Rafa.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I still think Gerrard is a fantastic player but IMHO he doesn't have the mobility to play in a front 3 that wants to press and doesn't have the patience or discipline to play as the deepest defender.

I think the best way to get the most out of Gerrard is to play him for the first 60 or the last 40 that way he can go full out and not worry about burn out. Also bringing Gerrard off the bench would be a massive boost for the team and the crowd and put the shits up the opposition.

I still think Gerrard is a fantastic player but IMHO he doesn't have the mobility to play in a front 3 that wants to press and doesn't have the patience or discipline to play as the deepest defender.

I think the best way to get the most out of Gerrard is to play him for the first 60 or the last 40 that way he can go full out and not worry about burn out. Also bringing Gerrard off the bench would be a massive boost for the team and the crowd and put the shits up the opposition.

I think its a valid point Neil. I don't think Rogers has the balls to do it though. I don't necessarily mean that to look like a criticism of Rogers either though as it would be such a big call.

I think its a valid point Neil. I don't think Rogers has the balls to do it though. I don't necessarily mean that to look like a criticism of Rogers either though as it would be such a big call.

I'm not sure its not having the balls as such, but Rodgers will be acutely aware of their relative standings in the game. Its a horrible situation for Rodgers. Especially as plenty of fans still believe Gerrard to be a world class midfielder, capable of playing in any position, etc.

I think Sakho is our best defender, by a distance.

I think Enrique is a headless chicken and only the 'form' of Cissokho is making people pine for him.

We are a better more balanced side without Gerrard.

Gerrard should be coming on late in games to give the crowd and team a boost. Also he could go full out without managing himself.

2 from Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling should start. All three unbalance the side.

We are a completely different team when Henderson and Allen play, the energy and pressing they bring is incredible and even dominated City in their own back yard. Vs Chelsea they were tired and Henderson was running off Eto's horror tackle.

Lucas hasn't ever recovered the form from 'that' run of games and the time has come to phase him out with a midfielder with more mobility.

I think the defence, bar a couple of players is going to get a complete overhaul because the players we have does not match the type of football Rodgers wants to play. You can't have a team that wants to press high and play from the back and have the majority of defenders that  are slow and uncomfortable on the ball, it's counter intuitive.

Your 2nd point is something I've been saying for weeks, Enrique was a shit house when he was in the team, now he's the victorian cure for all ills.

Agree with pretty much all of this post, especially the part about Allen and Hendo, bravo.