You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Q-Tip the best rapper of all time?

Jose Jones

Is Q-Tip the best rapper of all time?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Hmm?

• Probably
    • No, it's Chuck D
    • I'm going for some other dude
    • The Eminem / Jay Z vote
    • Hip hop? More like Shit hop.

Ace though he is, I'd put Mos Def, Rakim, Talib Kweli, MF Doom, Raekwon, Ghostface, GZA and Method Man ahead of him. That said, I'm only on about personal preference. I'm not one of these hip hop fascists. It's all just opinion.

*Waits for someone to come along and go nuts about Big L not getting a shout.*

Exactly its ok tho cos i like hiphop more than ewe. An I wudnt put any of the above in the top ten, Method man notwithstanding. I wouldnt have Qtip in the top 30 even, he wasnt even the best wrapper in the group Busta chucks excrement on the idea.

It's Rakim for me, though I think the best single album in terms of MC performance is probably Illmatic. Chuck D is far from the best technically, but in terms of the whole package he is right up there. I find it too difficult to pick individuals from the Wu (even though Ghostface, Raekwon and Gza in particular have made phenomenal solo albums) so I would almost tend to view them as a single unit. I love Tribe, but I think Q-Tip is in the league just below the ones I've mentioned.

It's Rakim for me, though I think the best single album in terms of MC performance is probably Illmatic. Chuck D is far from the best technically, but in terms of the whole package he is right up there. I find it too difficult to pick individuals from the Wu (even though Ghostface, Raekwon and Gza in particular have made phenomenal solo albums) so I would almost tend to view them as a single unit. I love Tribe, but I think Q-Tip is in the league just below the ones I've mentioned.

I think you are spot on about Wu and Chuck there, I voted for him because he's just ace and called out Elvis as a racist which my bird goes mental over whenever she hears that opening line in Fight The Power.

Elvis was a hero to most

But he never meant shit to me you see

Straight up racist that sucker was

Simple and plain

Mother fuck him and John Wayne

Cause I'm Black and I'm proud

I'm ready and hyped plus I'm amped

Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps

Sample a look back you look and find

Nothing but rednecks for 400 years if you check

Don't worry be happy

Was a number one jam

Damn if I say it you can slap me right here

• 2 years later...

Chuck was an inventor of the game. The others mentioned played it.

I think that White liberals like yourself have difficulty understanding that Chuck's views represent the frustrations of the majority of Black youths out there today.