You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

6 hours ago, Code said:

Some people have short memories.

This is our goalscoring record the last 10 seasons, talk about getting rid of Salah is genuinly insane and the talk of a raving mad lunatic. 

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0522.jpeg

IMG_0523.jpeg

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0528.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

Cmon man, don't be naive. 

When Madrid sold Casemiro, Varane, Ronaldo, it was to the bafflement of most people.  They put in a decent following season at their new clubs, which is to be expected for the combined €210m in transfer fees that was paid.  They then quickly depreciated in form, and value.  

And we're talking massive wages. 

By your logic we should still have Kenny on the books. 

• Upvote 1

By the way, although I can confidently endorse selling a 32 year old Salah, I can't actually see clear candidates to buy.  

I'm sorting of excited by that, it's nice to be surprised.  

I'd build the attack around Nunez. Our whole attack should be pure chaos. 3 lads with immense pace, full of fire, full of self-confidence, with dynamite in their boots.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I wasn't talking about the rest of this season - the tactics will obviously continue this year.

I mean next year - don't see how we can have Salah and Diaz (Gakpo or Jota are even more limited in many ways) as the primary wide players going forward and try to continue to play like we have - just 18 months ago even. Any new system/tactic would presumably see Salah in a tweaked/different role.

That said the new fella will want some leeway and some cash.

Of the big three up for contract I think Virg is a definite and the most important to re-sign.

Once the new manager comes in, all bets are off anyway. And honestly, I'm not arsed about it at this point. All I care about is how we get the best out of our squad and get the best XI at any one moment on the pitch for this 7 game run in. It's just short term tactical fixes at this point, long term is the new fellas problem in July. 

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is certainly finished under Klopp and the system that both made him and now we are struggling with.

Can't play 3 upfront with two wide guys who aren't a constant threat to get behind as well as beat their man off the dribble. Both Salah and Mane were/could in their pomp.

You can get away with one of those but not both on both sides, leaves no space - and neither Diaz nor Salah can/do atm for different reasons.

I could see Salah playing off Nunez effectively in a different set up but I don't think that will be the plan.

Yeah, this is pretty much my take on it as well, and why I thought Gakpo in the middle, Nunez on the left and Salah on the right would be a better idea than what we're currently seeing. Gakpo's drop in form combined with Nunez, Diaz (and Jota before his injury) hitting form put paid to that idea. It will be interesting to see what Klopp does when Jota is back. I think he's the only one that should be guaranteed a spot in the run-in, let the other more wasteful players fight it out for the two last spots.

7 hours ago, Judge said:

This.

Diaz and Nunes has pace, power and workrate, but their lack of football intelligence is stunning. Salah has the intelligence, but he has lost the pace and power and barely seems able to shoot. His finishing has become worse and worse.

There seem to be no pattern in our attacking play, this in sharp contrast to City, Arsenal and ourselves in the days of Mane and Firmino. 

Was it in his left or right foot he got the hamstring injury? Nevermind, shooting can be just as bad when you have to plant your foot before shooting, as having the injury in your shooting thigh.. Don't really know how to explain this properly in my second language, but I had my worst hamstring injury on the football field in my right foot when trying to play a long ball with my (preferred) left foot. The action leading up to the pass is probably as stressful as the eventual release of the foot. Would explain why he never seems to plant his feet when shooting anymore (not that he did this as frequently as other players anyway, leading to a lot of powder-puff finishes). My hamstrings are totally gone, and if I try to plant my feet attempting a 30 yd pass these days (I'm in my 40s), I'm guaranteed to pull up. I just have to sweep and let go of my plant foot.

Before you think I'm comparing myself to a top athlete like Salah, I'm not. I just think this can be one of they underlying circumstances of his decline in terms of shooting and pace. Athletes repeatedly speak of their mental struggles with hamstring injuries as well as physical restraints. I can easily see Salah restraining himself from sprinting 100 pct, and shooting with full force in fear of getting a recurrence of his injury. We need him at 100 pct though...

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I wasn't talking about the rest of this season - the tactics will obviously continue this year.

I mean next year - don't see how we can have Salah and Diaz (Gakpo or Jota are even more limited in many ways) as the primary wide players going forward and try to continue to play like we have - just 18 months ago even. Any new system/tactic would presumably see Salah in a tweaked/different role.

That said the new fella will want some leeway and some cash.

Of the big three up for contract I think Virg is a definite and the most important to re-sign.

...as having someone other than Nunez to get in behind will be vital if the opposition focuses their attention on him. Life was a bit simpler when we had electryfing pace either side of Firmino dropping deep.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Imagine you've got a really fit wife, perfect in every way, but one weekend she gets pissed and makes a complete cunt of herself.

That must be how Code is feeling after watching that.

She's been on crack for months.

I'm edging towards him moving in. Massive recency bias but we have had the absolute best of him. He still could go on and be hugely important for us equally his all round game could grow worse. Maybe new manager, new era we need young blood and pace on the right and a new manager will look to find goals more from different areas. Depends on the new manager. 

10 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Imagine you've got a really fit wife, perfect in every way, but one weekend she gets pissed and makes a complete cunt of herself.

That must be how Code is feeling after watching that.

Not at all.

If Mo is having a bad game I have no problem to say so.

But we are not getting the ball to him in good positions, he usually get the ball only when he has two or three players crowding him or when he is hugging the line. 

There are so many times during a game when the right choice would be to play the ball to the right where Mo has space to run into infront of him and where he could be clean through on goal, but these days that ball will not be played, it happens every game as well.

I think getting Trent back will be a positive for Mo getting more space and by that getting more goal scoring opportunities.

Today we saw Mo getting stick on here for the first half, what was he supposed to do, he almost never got the ball, we attacked down the left all the time.  

Mo had two chances today, first one was a good save from Henderson and the last one was great defending getting the block in.

Think he's definitely lost something for me. 

I don't think our fan base truly understand what we lost in Mane and Firmino both offensively and defensively when they left. And it shows in the output of Salah and the two who replaced them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, janmolby said:

Think he's definitely lost something for me. 

I don't think our fan base truly understand what we lost in Mane and Firmino both offensively and defensively when they left. And it shows in the output of Salah and the two who replaced them.

Agree.  Mane was our most important player throughout his time here often occupying two or three players on his own, fighting for every ball and creating space - Salah being the brilliant beneficiary.

27 minutes ago, janmolby said:

I think we do.

1 hour ago, Code said:

Not at all.

But we are not getting the ball to him in good positions, he usually get the ball only when he has two or three players crowding him or when he is hugging the line. 

There are so many times during a game when the right choice would be to play the ball to the right where Mo has space to run into infront of him and where he could be clean through on goal, but these days that ball will not be played, it happens every game as well.

I think getting Trent back will be a positive for Mo getting more space and by that getting more goal scoring opportunities.

Today we saw Mo getting stick on here for the first half, what was he supposed to do, he almost never got the ball, we attacked down the left all the time.  

Mo had two chances today, first one was a good save from Henderson and the last one was great defending getting the block in.

Mate, he's not fit. You must see this? The reason we can only get the ball to him with players around him is because unless we play it to his feet he doesn't get there, he won't/can't move for anything. And his hamstrings look so weak, he's unable to push and hold off defenders behind him, which is normally a massive attribute. He's not even a shadow of himself. 

2 hours ago, Moo said:

If any wages saved and transfer fee are reinvested in the squad (IF) I would let him go in a heartbeat. 

They would be. 

In the new deals for Trent,Virg and Diaz. 

1 hour ago, janmolby said:

Firmino was done, but there wasn't near enough outcry when Mane left. The Sexy Salah contract extension video placated the majority.

They both went at the right time. 

Mane hasn't pulled up any trees since leaving. The issue was essentially losing both for 30ml and spending 100ml plus on Nunez and  Gakpo to replace them

2 hours ago, Code said:

Not at all.

He cost us the game today by being fucking shit. 

One of our greatest ever attackers, but everything comes to an end.

Needs to move on in the summer.

His wages and whatever fee we’d get for him will give the new regime a lot more freedom in any rebuild. 

• Upvote 1