You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Seems to have mentally checked out just as the business end kicked in, strange mindset for an elite performer, Ramadan aside.

Be keen to read between the lines and see what he wants other than more money, he still has the back end of his prime to dig in to but if he still wants to go to that woeful Saudi league, regardless of who the new coach is, Edwards might field bids and look to move him on. 

It’s a shame as I think a savvy manager rejigs the front line and gets another great couple of years out of him but it’s likely he’s just sick of all the things he didn’t like in the first place, the weather, the money, the having to share the ball around. 

At some point Liverpool need to move on from the reliance on him, it does get to him to be fair. 

Been some player, he’s a real crossroads now - it would be a shame if he’s lost interest just as the final push started.

1 hour ago, Bourbon said:

Seems to have mentally checked out just as the business end kicked in, strange mindset for an elite performer, Ramadan aside.

Be keen to read between the lines and see what he wants other than more money, he still has the back end of his prime to dig in to but if he still wants to go to that woeful Saudi league, regardless of who the new coach is, Edwards might field bids and look to move him on. 

It’s a shame as I think a savvy manager rejigs the front line and gets another great couple of years out of him but it’s likely he’s just sick of all the things he didn’t like in the first place, the weather, the money, the having to share the ball around. 

At some point Liverpool need to move on from the reliance on him, it does get to him to be fair. 

Been some player, he’s a real crossroads now - it would be a shame if he’s lost interest just as the final push started.

The Final Push has commenced a little like the one at the end of Blackadder Goes Forth.

Not really seen anything positive of him since AFCON bar his cameo at Brentford, he looks weak as piss. Spends the entire game losing the ball more times than anyone in our squad, does absolutely nothing to help out defensively and gets pocketed by average fullbacks like Tyrick fucking Mitchell. Is it Tyrick or Tyrone? Ah who gives a fuck.

Undoubtedly a legend, but for his and our own good.....this summer is the right time to move on.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

My main worry is he seems unable to beat a man 9/10 times lately, not sure if thats just a lack of giving a fuck or the start of a decline for him but he just doesn't have that electric ability he used to where he'd turn someone and be off on his attack.

• Upvote 1

Yeah he's done as a top level player.

It makes no sense not to sell him in the summer, as we are likely to be in a transition period under a new manager anyway.

£100m plus 350k a week off the wage bill clears a lot of space to completely refresh the forward line. 

• Upvote 1

He is still elite at producing and scoring goals but I think almost everyone can see that he is on the cusp of Ronaldo territory, where when he plays he will make goals but his play is bad. The only way we could think about keeping him is if we used him like City use De Bruyne now, which is; not play him in every game, have him be more of a member of the squad. But we cant afford to do that. He should 99% be sold. 

Still, it isnt his fault that he has still been more useful than the 24-27 year olds in the front line who havent taken the step up. 

I think his days of being an elite wide forward are done. His goal/assist numbers are still good but overall play is well down from his peak.

There have been times this season he has looked like he could be an elite chance creator., with his vision and ability to pick a pass surprising me.  The new manager will have a big decision on his hands in terms of what he does with him.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He is still elite at producing and scoring goals but I think almost everyone can see that he is on the cusp of Ronaldo territory, where when he plays he will make goals but his play is bad. The only way we could think about keeping him is if we used him like City use De Bruyne now, which is; not play him in every game, have him be more of a member of the squad. But we cant afford to do that. He should 99% be sold. 

Still, it isnt his fault that he has still been more useful than the 24-27 year olds in the front line who havent taken the step up. 

He should have been used like that for a while, but his contract and wages made it unrealistic he’d be an impact sub. He should have been subbed a lot more even when playing well to give him rest, rotated loads more and not pandered to his desire to score goals against shit opposition. Instead he’s started and finished almost every 90 minutes we’ve played. And now we see the result.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John102 said:

I think his days of being an elite wide forward are done. His goal/assist numbers are still good but overall play is well down from his peak.

There have been times this season he has looked like he could be an elite chance creator., with his vision and ability to pick a pass surprising me.  The new manager will have a big decision on his hands in terms of what he does with him.

I reckon that could be a decision taken out of the new managers hand by making it before he arrives. 

2 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Is there an argument to me made to play him more central?

I've wondered the same. He’s usually composed in front of goal so if we give him the chances he’d probably put them away, certainly convert more than Darwin. Less running for him as well and then replace him on the wing with someone with a bit of pace. Issue is though it’s not a long term solution so we might be best getting as much for him as we can assuming he wants to go and reinvest it in the best goalscorer we can find.  

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I reckon that could be a decision taken out of the new managers hand by making it before he arrives. 

If we do decide to let him go having the deal done before confirming Amorim would be a good thing. Takes that pressure off him. 

I just hope the talk of us signing Marcus Edwards are wide of the mark. He is talented but his goals and assists numbers are crap and he is about 25 now. I reckon it's the normal crap of new manager wanting old players though. 

• Upvote 1

We shouldn't be signing any of the new managers former players unless it's obvious they're a massive talent that clubs at the highest level are looking at. It reeks of Ten Haag, Rodgers type stuff if they are bringing some squad back up to ease their way in and give them moral support. This is a new level. Besides the new manager will probably need to earn the right to hold sway over signings unless the options he brings to the table match Hughes/Edwards opinions.

39 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We shouldn't be signing any of the new managers former players unless it's obvious they're a massive talent that clubs at the highest level are looking at. It reeks of Ten Haag, Rodgers type stuff if they are bringing some squad back up to ease their way in and give them moral support. This is a new level. Besides the new manager will probably need to earn the right to hold sway over signings unless the options he brings to the table match Hughes/Edwards opinions.

I think we will look at 2 of the CB(Dembele/Inacio) as they are really highly rated and weve been linked to both proor to Amorim links. Would t be shocked if we sign the goalkeeper Adan on a free either to take Adrian space in the squad. As it looks likely we might need 2 keepers this summer

15 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Been way off it recently, but even for £100m I wouldn’t be looking to sell him. 

Reckon he goes for 80ml in the summer personally. The Saudis will know that Edwards won't want to give him a new multi year deal. For Salah it's probably the perfect time to break from tbe club with a new manager etc. 

I'd be happy to see him get a year extension on the same money though. 

But 80ml can probably get you a player that would have gone for 100ml plus last summer this year with FFP seemingly biting at some clubs. Rather than lose him on a free a year later you can effectively get most of the money for a Kvaratskhelia, Brahim Diaz, Xavi Simons. Or you take that and spend it on a number 9 that can score goals and play as a lone striker and move Szoboszlai and Elliot into whatever role that the new manager wants from there

May well be the summer to sell and get good money still, let him decline on someone elses watch.

That said if he did stay maybe he would transition from this wide forward role he has now into an attacking midfielder/forward who plays off a striker. Does Amorim not use a system that uses two attacking midfielders as opposed to wingers?