You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

15 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Been way off it recently, but even for £100m I wouldn’t be looking to sell him. 

Reckon he goes for 80ml in the summer personally. The Saudis will know that Edwards won't want to give him a new multi year deal. For Salah it's probably the perfect time to break from tbe club with a new manager etc. 

I'd be happy to see him get a year extension on the same money though. 

But 80ml can probably get you a player that would have gone for 100ml plus last summer this year with FFP seemingly biting at some clubs. Rather than lose him on a free a year later you can effectively get most of the money for a Kvaratskhelia, Brahim Diaz, Xavi Simons. Or you take that and spend it on a number 9 that can score goals and play as a lone striker and move Szoboszlai and Elliot into whatever role that the new manager wants from there

May well be the summer to sell and get good money still, let him decline on someone elses watch.

That said if he did stay maybe he would transition from this wide forward role he has now into an attacking midfielder/forward who plays off a striker. Does Amorim not use a system that uses two attacking midfielders as opposed to wingers?

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Hands would be getting snapped off for 100m. He's going for free the following year.

Well, I would want to extend his contract for another 18 months to give us more options.

I doubt that will happen and was surprised they didn’t take the deal in the summer.

Just now, Kevin D said:

Well, I would want to extend his contract for another 18 months to give us more options.

I doubt that will happen and was surprised they didn’t take the deal in the summer.

Fair enough, I hope we don't.

I think playing 90 minutes every game and alongside Diaz and Nunez is doing him no favours. 

Hopefully Olid sells Diaz and/or Nunez, then brings in forwards who are better suited to us. As well as his goals, Salah was showing some new creative wrinkles at the start of the season and that’s something I think will improve as his pace continues to go.

2 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I think playing 90 minutes every game and alongside Diaz and Nunez is doing him no favours. 

Hopefully Olid sells Diaz and/or Nunez, then brings in forwards who are better suited to us. As well as his goals, Salah was showing some new creative wrinkles at the start of the season and that’s something I think will improve as his pace continues to go.

I think that would be sound if he was a 100k p/w 23 year old squad player, but he's on massive money and is 32 in a couple of months. I think we should take the last opportunity to get some money for him.

Sell Salah and one of Diaz or Nunez, then buy a forward or two who have a brain, can run, and don't require 20 chances to score.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think that would be sound if he was a 100k p/w 23 year old squad player, but he's on massive money and is 32 in a couple of months. I think we should take the last opportunity to get some money for him.

Sell Salah and one of Diaz or Nunez, then buy a forward or two who have a brain, can run, and don't require 20 chances to score.

My sense is that we’ll always be able to get some money for him from the Saudi league. 

They don’t really want him for football reasons, they want him for political ones, so it doesn’t particularly matter to them if he’s 32 or 35.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

My sense is that we’ll always be able to get some money for him from the Saudi league. 

They don’t really want him for football reasons, they want him for political ones, so it doesn’t particularly matter to them if he’s 32 or 35.

I think there are also better ways we can spend his wages over the next three years.

The last few pages in this thread are eye aids.

The reality is that if Salah had played with better and more clinical players than Nunez he would have 20 assists in the league already, together with his goals.

He is the best winger this  league has even seen and by such a distance its not even funny, he still pisses all over everyone else in that position.

This was his season so far three months ago.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't see us selling anybody other than those that want to leave to be honest. If the Saudis come in with a crazy offer then it's down to they player I personally wouldn't begrudge him the move. Other than the last few games we haven't had to much of an issue scoring its the defence and defensive midfield I think we need to look at, this season we have given away so many silly goals I've lost count.

Just for the sake of it, lets compare Salah with Saka, both play in the same position.

How many times this season has Salah gone four games without scoring, the answer is zero!

How many times has Saka gone four games without scoring, the answer is five times already this season.

I can’t imagine the reaction on here if that happened to Salah, but it would be a new level of pathetic drivel, that’s certain.

IMG_0614.jpeg

IMG_0613.jpeg

31 minutes ago, andyj said:

I don't see us selling anybody other than those that want to leave to be honest. If the Saudis come in with a crazy offer then it's down to they player I personally wouldn't begrudge him the move. Other than the last few games we haven't had to much of an issue scoring its the defence and defensive midfield I think we need to look at, this season we have given away so many silly goals I've lost count.

I guess it'll depend a lot on who the manager is. 

Whatever happens they'll need to make (along with those above) decisions on VVD, Trent and Salah.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Code

Do you think it is wise business to let Salah go into his final contract year?

I think Salah wants to sign a new contract and we should offer him one. 

If not we should let him run out his contract and see what happens next season.

His value in the accounts will not be high enough to letting him leave because we want money back, we can not replace him with that money anyway. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Code said:

I think Salah wants to sign a new contract and we should offer him one. 

If not we should let him run out his contract and see what happens next season.

His value in the accounts will not be high enough to letting him leave because we want money back, we can not replace him with that money anyway. 

Agree that he should get a new offer, my point is that should be done and dusted before the summer window closes. And will be imo if he wants to stay.

I don't think that Salah's on field contribution (say 25 golas, 12 assists) is worth 80 million and his wages.

Any forward playing the lions share of minutes in our front line is going to put up some decent numbers - they already do. 

The individual difference would come down to single digit goals and a few assists. Not sure overall the teams goals scored would nosedive but that will be far more important.

Personally I don't think the team is in a place where a new manager will walk in and compete for the title - Salah would have value in that scenario. Him scoring a few more while the team re builds, not value.

I wouldn’t sell Salah unless he asks to leave. 

But under PSR wouldn’t any fee we received for him be classed as 100% profit as the amortisation of his transfer fee has been cleared? 

If we could get £100m ‘profit’ for him this summer then I can definitely see the club letting him go and not having to give the new manager any money other than his fee. 

3 hours ago, Code said:

Just for the sake of it, lets compare Salah with Saka, both play in the same position.

How many times this season has Salah gone four games without scoring, the answer is zero!

How many times has Saka gone four games without scoring, the answer is five times already this season.

I can’t imagine the reaction on here if that happened to Salah, but it would be a new level of pathetic drivel, that’s certain.

IMG_0614.jpeg

IMG_0613.jpeg

Not for me ro be defending Saka but fuck me. You've included one spell that he's playing for England. And he's got 9 assists in them 23 games he hasn't scored. 

First 4 games

2 for England

2 games in premier league 2 assists

2 set of games 6 games

He has 2 min cameo in 2 games

2 assists 

3rd set 4 games

2 games for England

2 epl 2 assists

4th set 5 games

1 assists

5th set 4 games

1 assust

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Agree that he should get a new offer, my point is that should be done and dusted before the summer window closes. And will be imo if he wants to stay.

I don't think that Salah's on field contribution (say 25 golas, 12 assists) is worth 80 million and his wages.

Any forward playing the lions share of minutes in our front line is going to put up some decent numbers - they already do. 

The individual difference would come down to single digit goals and a few assists. Not sure overall the teams goals scored would nosedive but that will be far more important.

Personally I don't think the team is in a place where a new manager will walk in and compete for the title - Salah would have value in that scenario. Him scoring a few more while the team re builds, not value.

I think the last sentence is key. Salah wouldn't be that valuable next season, if we are being realistic about where we'll be next season, with a new manager. 

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Not for me ro be defending Saka but fuck me. You've included one spell that he's playing for England. And he's got 9 assists in them 23 games he hasn't scored. 

First 4 games

2 for England

2 games in premier league 2 assists

2 set of games 6 games

He has 2 min cameo in 2 games

2 assists 

3rd set 4 games

2 games for England

2 epl 2 assists

4th set 5 games

1 assists

5th set 4 games

1 assust

Saka has gone 5 times without scoring in four games or more, 3 times if we exclude England games.

Salah has gone zero times.

Again, if the same thing had happened to Salah the world would end on here. 

13 hours ago, Code said:

Saka has gone 5 times without scoring in four games or more, 3 times if we exclude England games.

Salah has gone zero times.

Again, if the same thing had happened to Salah the world would end on here. 

How many has he scored in the last two when it mattered?

#flattrackbully

15 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I wouldn’t sell Salah unless he asks to leave. 

But under PSR wouldn’t any fee we received for him be classed as 100% profit as the amortisation of his transfer fee has been cleared? 

If we could get £100m ‘profit’ for him this summer then I can definitely see the club letting him go and not having to give the new manager any money other than his fee. 

He would be almost certainly his entire fee as profit. I'm not sure we need that type of PSR help though, although it obviously doesn't harm. I think if we sell him, it will be purely because they think it's good for cashflow and it's good business.

The reality is, if we don't sell him this summer, it's probably fairly likely he leaves for free, if that's at the end of this contract or another. So let's say we get 2 years out of him, we'd lose the 100m fee and pay him 35m in wages across just 2 years. Does anyone think that's an outcome FSG would go for without the pressure of a manager saying "keep him"? I think the most likely outcome is he leaves this summer. 

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Poor again.

I wouldn't start him Sunday, give him a kick up the arse.

Apart from the fact we created fuck all after he left the pitch you might have a point.

Another game, another goal. 

He's better playing number ten at the minute. Stick him behind Jota and Nunez/Danns slipping passes through - his passing and vision is still exceptional. 

Doesn't work in 433 though, and doubt Klopp will change formation this late in the day.

Maybe an option for the new manager? 

• Upvote 1