You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's really weird the way there's no noise about it either. Either him going or talking it's going to be renewed. It might point to he'll just sign a new deal. But I just can't believe that's not done already. I know there's all this shite about waiting for a new sporting director, but surely we haven't just stopped running the club?

I agree, these deals must already be agreed in principle and they’re waiting for the best time to announce them.

Allowing the captain, vice-captain and talisman all to be down to the final 18 months of their contracts would be incompetence beyond even Rick Parry.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why would he go to Saudi now most of the players who went there are desperate to leave. I know it's a lot of money but the guy could still make a lot going a few years later when he really has fallen off a cliff. 

They'd pay him even more because of this. If Salah went it would boost their standing again. They also have to keep their momentum until their World Cup bid is likely confirmed for 2034. Hopefully they lose the bidding but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They'd pay him even more because of this. If Salah went it would boost their standing again. They also have to keep their momentum until their World Cup bid is likely confirmed for 2034. Hopefully they lose the bidding but I doubt it.

They are running unopposed as the Asian bid. 

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Well it's already done, isn't it!

Yep, it was a asian world cup and Australia and I think Indonesia and Singapore joint bid pulled out. Sounds like Saudi just warned them off and that they'd spend way they needed to

• Upvote 1

On 22/03/2024 at 08:42, Lee909 said:

Yep, it was a asian world cup and Australia and I think Indonesia and Singapore joint bid pulled out. Sounds like Saudi just warned them off and that they'd spend way they needed to

Yay for the new era of a clean and incorruptible FIFA!

On 22/03/2024 at 06:37, VladimirIlyich said:

I think they have bigger aspirations than that. I think now the court case regarding the ESL has concluded players cannot be banned from FIFA or UEFA competition if they play for a club who completes in a version of ESL, I think saudi will be looking to find the right support of that type of competition, but it won't be restricted to just European clubs and they'll want their sides in there too and played in their country. They might let this A22 mob take the shit and do the early hard work, but I'm sure it'll be no issue to just buy that company or set up something in parallel. 

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think they have bigger aspirations than that. I think now the court case regarding the ESL has concluded players cannot be banned from FIFA or UEFA competition if they play for a club who completes in a version of ESL, I think saudi will be looking to find the right support of that type of competition, but it won't be restricted to just European clubs and they'll want their sides in there too and played in their country. They might let this A22 mob take the shit and do the early hard work, but I'm sure it'll be no issue to just buy that company or set up something in parallel. 

If City get the pathetic slap on the wrist most expect them to,their litany of dodgy shell companies and sponsorship deals will be the template for most overseas club deals in the future.

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I left the ground yesterday thinking he could have had 5. I just watch motd2, I think he could have probably had 8. He got there in the end though. 

With normal finishing and not the wonder save I think he should have had 4. 

18 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Even when he's having an absolute stinker, he scores a winner.

whataguy.gif

Watching the highlights last night, I reckon "stinker" is a bit harsh.

He should probably also get credit for an assist for the first goal.

Salah has loads of days like Sunday and yes, it's frustrating but I just remind myself that nobody else in the league would be able to fashion that many chances, from that position, to miss in the first place. 

The man just generates chances, that in itself is an incredible skill. He misses bucket loads, scores loads. If he was ruthless he'd be up there in the Messi category but he's not ruthless, he's just an amazing volume monster who will put away enough to make you very competitive.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smell The Glove said:

Salah has loads of days like Sunday and yes, it's frustrating but I just remind myself that nobody else in the league would be able to fashion that many chances, from that position, to miss in the first place. 

The man just generates chances, that in itself is an incredible skill. He misses bucket loads, scores loads. If he was ruthless he'd be up there in the Messi category but he's not ruthless, he's just an amazing volume monster who will put away enough to make you very competitive.

I would say in his first season he was putting them away more frequently, hence the 45 or so goals, he's a more rounded player now, with a little less pace, but his around game is probably better.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

What worried me yesterday is he didn't seem too capable of hitting the ball hard. I hope he's not holding back because of the injury. 

He does it frequently, powder puff shots, always has. 
Very frustrating given his numbers, you get the feeling that he’d be off into the distance somewhere, not level with the greats like Shearer and Henry, if he would put his laces through the ball more.

To be fair, he’s not the only one, Diaz had one yesterday that was more like a pass back than a shot when Bradley set him up.

7 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

He does it frequently, powder puff shots, always has. 
Very frustrating given his numbers, you get the feeling that he’d be off into the distance somewhere, not level with the greats like Shearer and Henry, if he would put his laces through the ball more.

To be fair, he’s not the only one, Diaz had one yesterday that was more like a pass back than a shot when Bradley set him up.

Yeah, both Salah and Diaz did back pass like shots yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Code said:

Salah should have had a pen as well, but we all know he gets nothing inside the box.

IMG_0398.jpeg

I haven't seen that again, so only really time, but it looked clear. I didn't get excited about it though, because Paul Tierney was on VAR, so it was never going to be overuled. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I left the ground yesterday thinking he could have had 5. I just watch motd2, I think he could have probably had 8. He got there in the end though. 

Me, after 65 minutes:

This is an absolutely scandalous performance from Mo’, he’s giving the ball constantly, mis hitting chances. Sub someone on who can really take these chances.

[Salah goes off at 70 minutes]

Me, at 90 minutes:

Why did you all our chances dry up?

There is no movement.

Where did all our good attacking play go?

We really need Mo’ back on this pitch, he will hurt these. 

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I haven't seen that again, so only really time, but it looked clear. I didn't get excited about it though, because Paul Tierney was on VAR, so it was never going to be overuled. 

Yes its actually this bad, why we dont make more of it Ill never know. 

I hope Klopp make his feelings known on the issue after his last match. 

You will not convince me the refs in the PL is not one of the reasons he feels enough is enough. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Me, after 65 minutes:

This is an absolutely scandalous performance from Mo’, he’s giving the ball constantly, mis hitting chances. Sub someone on who can really take these chances.

[Salah goes off at 70 minutes]

Me, at 90 minutes:

Why did you all our chances dry up?

There is no movement.

Where did all our good attacking play go?

We really need Mo’ back on this pitch, he will hurt these. 

This is exactly my point. People think chances just come by magic and just bury them. Creating chances, being in the right place for chances is an actual art form. Mo Salah is a brilliant footballer because things happen when he's on the pitch. He's a brilliant footballer because you notice when he's not on the pitch. He's not a genius footballer because he misses way too many. But it's way too many more than a normal footballer would get anyway.

• Upvote 1