You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

I'd sign Bowen in a heart beat its a case of weighing up what he would cost compared to the cost of Salahs new deal there's only 2 advantages Bowen has over Salah that's age and nationality everything else and Salah is so superior. The issue of Salahs contract is how it destabilises the rest of the club I dont think it's worth doing that for one player the only person I'd rock the wage structure for is Klopp the boss. If Salah wants pay that matches the absolute best players in the world those players get those wages because they joined clubs that are fronts for sportswashing brutal regimes or oligarchs and if course United because they are rich and desperate. 

If Salah leaves, we won't see a transfer fee. He'll go after his contract expires and pocket it himself. It'll give him another season with the potential of winning trophies with us and he'll back himself to score another shedload, then walk into two or three big offers.

We, however, need to plan for his replacement this summer.

Imagine twitter in the summer of 1977 bleating about how there is no way we can replace Keegan.

We are about systems. That’s what Klopp creates. A team (squad) that is not about individuals but the whole.  If Salah leaves the he’ll be replaced by a top quality addition as we’ll have the money to do it.  Or, a player who was as good as Salah when we signed him and will find himself improved by the system. The idea he is irreplaceable is entirely bogus.

Look at the players we have who are now world class because of the system. Andy Robertson, for example, isn’t world class anywhere else but here. Is Mane the same player without a system designed to give him all those balls in the area? I don’t think so. 

I hope Salah stays. But if PSG are going to offer him €600k a week to replace Mbappe, then we can’t and nor should we, try and compete with that. We thank him for his play, applaud him off the pitch in his last game, and enjoy our shiny new player in the summer. 

• Upvote 9

7 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

If Salah doesn’t sign a contract we won’t get a transfer fee for him. 

We can sell him this summer. If he wants PSG and their €600k a week then PSG will happily pay €80-€90m for him this summer with the Mbappe money (not that they need the Mbappe money). There’s is zero reason we can’t sell him this summer. 

9 hours ago, Kevin D said:

He doesn't smoke, drink, take drugs and whenever he takes his top off, it looks like he's been putting in the work in the gymnasium and fancies the job.

He's got a solid look about him. I remember watching him against Watford on his debut and you could see he had a point to prove. He really fancied the job.

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

We can sell him this summer. If he wants PSG and their €600k a week then PSG will happily pay €80-€90m for him this summer with the Mbappe money (not that they need the Mbappe money). There’s is zero reason we can’t sell him this summer. 

Apart from Salah saying he doesn’t want to go and will get a shitload more money by sitting out the last 12 months of his contract. 

We can’t sell Salah without him agreeing to leave. 

That’s hardly ‘zero reason we can’t sell’ mate. 

10 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

What Mbappe money? Real are getting him on a free. 

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Apart from Salah saying he doesn’t want to go and will get a shitload more money by sitting out the last 12 months of his contract. 

We can’t sell Salah without him agreeing to leave. 

That’s hardly ‘zero reason we can’t sell’ mate. 

Ok, “pretty much zero” then.

The only club he can realistically go to is PSG. They have, apparently, offered him €600k a week. That won’t change whether he’s on a free or not.  They can offer him a €50m signing on bonus regardless of whether they’ve paid a transfer fee  or not. So if we decide to sell in the summer, Salah can go. PSG also won’t want to risk Barca getting their shit together thanks to a rich benefactor in the next 18 months and becoming a realistic rival for his signature and so will push for the signature this summer. 

Yes, there’s a chance Salah rides out his contract, and if he does then fine.  We don’t normally sign €70m players unless there are major extenuating circumstances. If and when Salah goes (be it this summer, next summer, or in 5 summers time) he’ll be replaced by a €40-€50m player. 

My mate on the Kop is a lurker on the forum,  I was talking to him at the pub on Wembley, his exact words were “Sign Diaz, win today… doesn’t matter to them miserable fucks on the forum. They’ll be moaning about Salah’s contract first chance they get”.

8191DB4B-EB24-4DD0-926A-7BEC99D9F18D.gif

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

My mate on the Kop is a lurker on the forum,  I was talking to him at the pub on Wembley, his exact words were “Sign Diaz, win today… doesn’t matter to them miserable fucks on the forum. They’ll be moaning about Salah’s contract first chance they get”.

8191DB4B-EB24-4DD0-926A-7BEC99D9F18D.gif

People want to see the best players playing for Liverpool. It's part of being a fan.

That said, if he's been offered €600k a week then there's not a great deal we can do about it.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Imagine twitter in the summer of 1977 bleating about how there is no way we can replace Keegan.

We are about systems. That’s what Klopp creates. A team (squad) that is not about individuals but the whole.  If Salah leaves the he’ll be replaced by a top quality addition as we’ll have the money to do it.  Or, a player who was as good as Salah when we signed him and will find himself improved by the system. The idea he is irreplaceable is entirely bogus.

Look at the players we have who are now world class because of the system. Andy Robertson, for example, isn’t world class anywhere else but here. Is Mane the same player without a system designed to give him all those balls in the area? I don’t think so. 

I hope Salah stays. But if PSG are going to offer him €600k a week to replace Mbappe, then we can’t and nor should we, try and compete with that. We thank him for his play, applaud him off the pitch in his last game, and enjoy our shiny new player in the summer. 

Personally, I think Andy Robertson and Mane would be world-class elsewhere. Andy Robertson records about 20 high-intensity sprints per game and whips crosses in like nobody else in his position, and Mane is just world-class - in terms of his pace, finishing, work rate and all-around general play. There's a reason why we signed them in the first place, and it's because they had the attributes to be world-class players. 

It's wishful thinking to assume we can pluck another Salah from somewhere. There's hardly ever been a player that can score 40+ goals a season from right-wing. What you're asking for is virtually impossible. We might replace him with a 20 goal a season player, which is fine, but we'll lose 20 goals a season and substantial points over the course of a season, unless we become watertight at the back. It's possible to carry on in a similar vein, but it'd require a Van Dijk / Alisson situation (where we think outside the box) because we're not replacing Salah like for like.

8 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

People want to see the best players playing for Liverpool. It's part of being a fan.

That said, if he's been offered €600k a week then there's not a great deal we can do about it.

I said yesterday, I sincerely hope it get sorted and he stays. 

The second bit is key. I get he might want Neymar, Messi, Mbappe, KDB etc wages but for that wage, he needs to play for one of those clubs. Despite some key board protestations, we’re a super run club these days and don’t have a bottomless pit.

If we give Mo £600k p/w, what’s to stop Mane or Firmino (although not to that level) asking for huge rises? Or VVD, Alisson, Trent, Fabinho and our other world class players.

Its typical of some of the posters here, moaning about the wages we pay in the last accounts being to high and now for Mo, we’re not going high enough!

I’m sure our offer will I’ll likely be the best in the clubs history. If that’s not good enough, then I’m very sorry, thanks for the unreal memories and all the best. 

I genuinely think anybody wanting to leave this squad is genuinely bananas.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The second bit is key. I get he might want Neymar, Messi, Mbappe, KDB etc wages but for that wage, he needs to play for one of those clubs. 

I’m sure our offer will I’ll likely be the best in the clubs history. If that’s not good enough, then I’m very sorry, thanks for the unreal memories and all the best. 

Yeah there’s a lot of sense in this. I have no idea what he’s asking but I’m sure it’s eye watering, we just aren’t the club that can pay those kind of wages and even if we did it has the potential to seriously upset the apple cart. Much as I love Mo and desperately want him to stay I can see the problem for the club here, it’s really not as simple as “give him what he wants”

Final point, I don’t get what his agent is trying to achieve. That’s the second time he’s tried to undermine Klopp on Twitter.

Firstly, it’s massively unprofessional. 

Secondly, if he thinks he’ll win a war of public opinion against Klopp, then he’s massively wrong and whatever he does will eventually reflect on Mo.

Thirdly, I assume the “Mo is open to staying in the Premiership” came from him and is a massive dick move. So basically, if we don’t give him what he wants, he’d happily go to City. Revert to point 2.

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The second bit is key. I get he might want Neymar, Messi, Mbappe, KDB etc wages but for that wage, he needs to play for one of those clubs. Despite some key board protestations, we’re a super run club these days and don’t have a bottomless pit.

If we give Mo £600k p/w, what’s to stop Mane or Firmino (although not to that level) asking for huge rises? Or VVD, Alisson, Trent, Fabinho and our other world class players.

Its typical of some of the posters here, moaning about the wages we pay in the last accounts being to high and now for Mo, we’re not going high enough!

I genuinely think anybody wanting to leave this squad is genuinely bananas.

I'm no fan of FSG but I agree with this. If he wants silly money then we just have to say thanks, goodbye then dust ourselves down & get on with it like we always do. It won't be the owners fault.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Final point, I don’t get what his agent is trying to achieve. That’s the second time he’s tried to undermine Klopp on Twitter.

Firstly, it’s massively unprofessional. 

Secondly, if he thinks he’ll win a war of public opinion against Klopp, then he’s massively wrong and whatever he does will eventually reflect on Mo.

He wants as much money as he can make out of a deal either way. He’s a typical rat of an agent 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

He wants as much money as he can make out of a deal either way. He’s a typical rat of an agent 

Very true but he’s making himself, and by association, Mo, look like a pair of immature, unprofessional, burks.

I can only assume he’s been reading the Aidy Ward hand book on being a Football Agent.