You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah is targeting a place in the club’s history books as he chases Ian Rush’s record for the most goals scored in a single season.

The Egypt international took his tally to 40 for the campaign against Bournemouth at the weekend and is only seven short of equalling Rush, who set the mark in 1983-84.

With four Premier League matches and a two-legged Champions League semi-final to come, Salah has more than enough chances to set a new milestone having already made the most prolific debut for the club.

“There’s a big chance to break the record, to be number one for a club like Liverpool, it’s something huge,” he told Premier League Productions.

“I will be very happy if I break it. I’m happy about 40, I want to keep scoring, I want to be number one for the record.

“It’s always good when you see your name with legends of a club like Liverpool, it’s a different feeling and I’m very happy about that.

“But I always try to look at myself and I want more. I have 40 now, I’m telling myself, ‘Why not? You can be number one!’

“I will try my best to break the record but, as I’ve said before, we play as 11 players, I play for the team.

“It’s not about individual awards, it’s something for the team. I’m sure if I have a chance to give it to someone else to score, I will – it’s not about me, it’s about us.”

The mad thing is rushies record of 47 goals was over the course of 65 games.

Salah is going to play around 50.

• Upvote 1

Well Rushie is allowed to count what he wants for his own purposes - but in terms of his official career stats penalty shoot out goals are not counted - his 346 goals for LFC do not include shoot out goals.

Does Simon Mignolet have any career goals in his official club stats?....I am sure I saw him smash in a penalty v Middlesbrough in that league cup shoot out though....

All that said if i had scored a goal in a European Cup Final shootout i'd count it alright!

• Upvote 1

Would be incredible if Mo was to equal or break Rushie's record. I think he'll get mighty close but might run out of games to do so. Rush had 65 games to score that amount. Mo's going to have to do this in 51 games, maybe 52 if we reach the final. Scoring 47 or more goals in 51/52 games would be mental.

That total of Rushies anyone know does it officially include the pen he scored against Roma in the final. He claimed it at the time but some officials said it did not count as it was a penalty shootout. Think they all count myself.

Rushie was light years ahead of Kane wasn't he.

• Upvote 1

Agents are vermin. If reports are to be believed he was meeting Perez in Madrid after Cuper said Mo should be playing for Real. I am under no illusion if we do not win the title or the CL within the next 2 seasons and Mo is still banging in the goals his agent will be aggitating for a move.

Winning the CL is the first step in keeping hold of Mo. If we don’t win the prem next season or at least really challenge for it and perhaps win a cup, he’s gonna bail isn’t he

Being honest if we get a few more positions sorted we will have a brilliant side. If that side fails to contest for major honours in the next couple of years then players will leave.

I have no problem with that to be honest, thats the way it is.

On Salah i dont think he's going anywhere for at least 2 years regardless.