You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players who could have been great barring injury

Jay86

Ledley King was on the Fantasy Football program on sky this week and had me wondering how good he could have actually been, he said he'd only really been able to play at 60/70% for about 10 years. He seemed like a really nice guy and wasn't bitter about his bad injury record.

Jonathan Woodgate is another who comes to mind, I thought at Leeds he was the better out of him and Ferdinand and although later being voted one of Real Madrids worst ever signing it had nothing to do with his performances as when he did actually end up on the Bernabau pitch he played very well.

Ledley King's a great shout. When you get English players at London clubs bigged up by the media, it's down to typical cockney bullshit more than anything else, but King was class. To put in the performances he did so consistently without even training bar a day or two in the pool and with no cartilage in his knee was frightening. Always used to piss me off how he always used to be fit for games against us and inevitably put in a worldy.

Who was that lad Milan signed for a world record fee but ended up out of the game for a year or so because of a car crash? Lentini, wasn't it? I remember Capello raving about his ability before that accident on some programme a year or so ago. He's got to be an obvious candidate for this thread.

Ledley King's a great shout. When you get English players at London clubs bigged up by the media, it's down to typical cockney bullshit more than anything else, but King was class. To put in the performances he did so consistently without even training bar a day or two in the pool and with no cartilage in his knee was frightening. Always used to piss me off how he always used to be fit for games against us and inevitably put in a worldy.

Who was that lad Milan signed for a world record fee but ended up out of the game for a year or so because of a car crash? Lentini, wasn't it? I remember Capello raving about his ability before that accident on some programme a year or so ago. He's got to be an obvious candidate for this thread.

Yea I remember watching one of them

Greatest Manager sky features and Capello says on there that Lentini was unbelievably good but got rushed back too soon, psychology he was fucked and was nowhere near the same level ever again, I forgot about him. Thanks!

Brian Clough who by all accounts was a goal scoring machine till injury forced him to retire. Jamie Redknapp  had all the ability but was forever broken. Ronaldo the Brazilian who reached the greatest of heights but imagine how long he could of been way out in front without the injuries.

I feel sorry for Martin Kelly who looked destined imo for great things if it wasnt for injuries.

• Upvote 1

Brian Clough who by all accounts was a goal scoring machine till injury forced him to retire. Jamie Redknapp had all the ability but was forever broken. Ronaldo the Brazilian who reached the greatest of heights but imagine how long he could of been way out in front without the injuries.

I feel sorry for Martin Kelly who looked destined imo for great things if it wasnt for injuries.

Brazil Ronaldo was and will always be my favourite ever player. He was literally unplayable.

Germany currently have a number of young players that look ready to tear it up on the world stage, but about a decade ago they had a midfielder by the name of Sebastian Deisler who was thought of as the German equivalent of Steven Gerrard. A succession of serious knee injuries eventually led to a severe bout of depression, and the combination caused him to retire prematurely.

The Brazilian Ronaldo has already been mentioned. Outstanding player but we never got to see the best of him in what should have been his prime years.

• Upvote 2

Physically, he was enormous. He was strong and had a fantastic football brain. His ability was complete – right foot, left foot, long passing, short passing. He did everything instinctively.

Not my words, the words of Bobby Charlton.

Sounds fuck all like Phil Jones to me. 

• Upvote 2

I'm just saying Phil Jones is a shit cunt sorry about badmouthing yer granda there It was a joke that has backfired on me immensely the egg is running down mine face.

No worries. I wasn't taking any offence anyway. 

Merely pointing out that Edwards would on the surface of it would appear to have been slightly more talented than Phil Jones. Hence the Partridge style quote.

• Upvote 1