You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Historical figures

Ezekiel 25:17

I do it all the time, it's a really bad trait, but I'm at least aware now that I do it, half the time I just let things go when i'm dying to just turn around say, no,no,no, you are talking SHITE. It's not even a case of being a know it all becuase i'm far from it but a lot of people don't even have common sense, it's beyond staggering what people don't know.

So P.W. Botha is classed as a historical figure, but Mandela isn't?

So much for equality...

Taking "historical" as literally as you are is a bit disingenuous as it isn't just a discussion of chronology, but significance, there's a duality to the term's meaning that you have to recognise. For me, the event is the defining aspect, being a significant part of a historically significant event/issue (the event being "in the past") makes you a historical figure. Breaking apartheid was a historical moment and Mandela is rightfully the icon for that moment and he is a figure of historical significance.

I agree though that calling people still active in their field "historical" is ludicrous though.

You get no thanks for it, every day of my life I watch people in work my the worst decisions possible, I spent years trying to show them how they could save a lot of time, effort and money doing things differently but a lot of people just don't want to know, they revel in their own ignorance and are quite happy to live their life like that. A girl broke her phone the other day, she wouldn't pay £60 to get it fixed so decided the best course of action was to take out another contract at £40 a month as thier was no inital outlay. I tried explaining how this was a terrible idea and she'd be running two contracts at a substantial cost, but she didn't care, all she could see was she didn't have to part with £60.

So P.W. Botha is classed as a historical figure, but Mandela isn't?

So much for equality...

Taking "historical" as literally as you are is a bit disingenuous as it isn't just a discussion of chronology, but significance, there's a duality to the term's meaning that you have to recognise. For me, the event is the defining aspect, being a significant part of a historically significant event/issue makes you a historical figure. Breaking apartheid was a historical moment and Mandela is rightfully the icon for that moment and he is a figure of historical significance.

I agree though that calling people still active in their field "historical" is ludicrous though.

Can't argue with any of that.

You get no thanks for it, every day of my life I watch people in work my the worst decisions possible, I spent years trying to show them how they could save a lot of time, effort and money doing things differently but a lot of people just don't want to know, they revel in their own ignorance and are quite happy to live their life like that. A girl broke her phone the other day, she wouldn't pay £60 to get it fixed so decided the best course of action was to take out another contract at £40 a month as thier was no inital outlay. I tried explaining how this was a terrible idea and she'd be running two contracts at a substantial cost, but she didn't care, all she could see was she didn't have to part with £60.

You should have a game of cards with her, Zek.

For big money.

So P.W. Botha is classed as a historical figure' date=' but Mandela isn't?

So much for equality...

Taking "historical" as literally as you are is a bit disingenuous as it isn't just a discussion of chronology, but significance, there's a duality to the term's meaning that you have to recognise. For me, the event is the defining aspect, being a significant part of a historically significant event/issue (the event being "in the past") makes you a historical figure. Breaking apartheid was a historical moment and Mandela is rightfully the icon for that moment and he is a figure of historical significance.

I agree though that calling people still active in their field "historical" is ludicrous though.[/quote']

I'll buy that. I can also go with the term 'living history' to describe people who were a part of/ experienced things that happened in the past

It would surely be an act of mercy *if you took a ball pein hammer and gave her a short but effective blow to the temple. in fact, it's moral cowardice not to.

Although I doubt a Judge would see it that way. They're not noted for their sense of humour, the unsmiling fucksplats.

*both to the recipient, and her "loved" ones. And the human species.

I'm having a debate in work, I may be wrong but I'm not having it that you can class someone who is still alive now as a 'Historical figure', surely by very definition they have to be a part of history. Is their an actual answer t this or is it left to your own interpretation ??

I think you can be part of history (due to actions or achievements in the past) while still being alive. I consider Nelson Mandela an historical figure. Just like I did with Neil Armstrong before he passed away last summer.

That said, English is not my native language so 'historical figure' might mean something different to you than it does to me.

• 1 year later...