You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Smart tv's

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Pretty sure you’ve got an Android box haven’t you, mate? You can install the BT Sport and Sky Sports apps on there, which will save you forking out for a Chromecast. 

I did wonder about that but don't the likes of Sky, BT, etc prevent their apps from being used on what I have ? I can't even get BBC I player on it now.

14 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I did wonder about that but don't the likes of Sky, BT, etc prevent their apps from being used on what I have ? I can't even get BBC I player on it now.

Not as far as I’m aware. I had a 3 month free sub to BT Sport recently as part of a phone upgrade and the app worked fine on my box. You’ve just got to put the remote in mouse/cursor mode to navigate around. It can’t hurt to try it out at least. 

15 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

If you're on an Android phone, I think you should be able to cast your handset regardless of app to any other android - such as fire stick, android box, android smart TV or Chromecast. 

I think the latest Chromecast include Android TV too, so should behave more like a fire stick. 

On 20/12/2020 at 13:29, Captain Turdseye said:

Not as far as I’m aware. I had a 3 month free sub to BT Sport recently as part of a phone upgrade and the app worked fine on my box. You’ve just got to put the remote in mouse/cursor mode to navigate around. It can’t hurt to try it out at least. 

I'll give it a go but I just assumed they wouldn't work on the box I have. Iplayer and a couple of others have stopped working on it.

On 20/12/2020 at 14:03, Barrington Womble said:

If you're on an Android phone, I think you should be able to cast your handset regardless of app to any other android - such as fire stick, android box, android smart TV or Chromecast. 

I think the latest Chromecast include Android TV too, so should behave more like a fire stick. 

I'm using a Samsung phone. Couldn't tell you what the TV runs on but when I tried to cast BT Sport to it, a message appeared saying it wasn't allowed.

53 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I'll give it a go but I just assumed they wouldn't work on the box I have. Iplayer and a couple of others have stopped working on it.

I'm using a Samsung phone. Couldn't tell you what the TV runs on but when I tried to cast BT Sport to it, a message appeared saying it wasn't allowed.

Casting BT sport may be the problem. Have you tried casting a normal YouTube video?

53 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I think the way round it though is don't cast the app, cast the handset, which on my phone I can do from settings. 

18 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Casting BT sport may be the problem. Have you tried casting a normal YouTube video?

BT is the problem. There's a message saying it's not permitted.

18 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think the way round it though is don't cast the app, cast the handset, which on my phone I can do from settings. 

Not sure I follow. I thought I was casting the phone.

Have tried casting the phone Sky and that wont work either but I can cast my IPTV. 

I've added Sky Sports app on my android box. Seemed fine until but I'm getting a message saying it can't find my location. I've checked the permissions etc and everything seems as it should be.

On 23/12/2020 at 18:16, Dougie Do'ins said:

BT is the problem. There's a message saying it's not permitted.

Not sure I follow. I thought I was casting the phone.

Have tried casting the phone Sky and that wont work either but I can cast my IPTV. 

I've added Sky Sports app on my android box. Seemed fine until but I'm getting a message saying it can't find my location. I've checked the permissions etc and everything seems as it should be.

On my phone I can cast in 2 ways. I can do it in the app and look for the little cast symbol and choose the device I want to sent it to. But the only content in that case is the app I pressed to cast from. I can use my handset for other things though and not see them on the screen. 

However, if I go into settings, I can cast the whole handset, so if I was doing it now I could see me typing this, then If I jumped onto IPTV, I could watch whatever on there, then if a text comes in, it'll pop up on the TV screen I'm casting to.

Make sense? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2020 at 21:23, paddyberger said:

+1 for Panasonic TV's. Had two now and both running strong, great value for money.

I've still got a Panasonic plasma. The picture is just flawless. Got a 4k Samsung in the other room (which is great) but i still prefer the plasma. The picture is rich and just rock solid. 

It's only 42 inches though - my mate was selling his Panasonic plasma 50 inch not long ago, I wish I'd bought it off him.

23 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I've still got a Panasonic plasma. The picture is just flawless. Got a 4k Samsung in the other room (which is great) but i still prefer the plasma. The picture is rich and just rock solid. 

It's only 42 inches though - my mate was selling his Panasonic plasma 50 inch not long ago, I wish I'd bought it off him.

Yeah, we have a 4K LG in the kitchen and I much prefer the 55  Plasma in the living room. 

I’ll be gutted when I replace it finally. 8 years, hasn’t missed a beat.

• Upvote 1

On 10/01/2021 at 19:27, RedKnight said:

Still got a 42" Panasonic plasma from 2009 and the picture is still phenomenal.

I've been using mine to watch the snooker this week. I don't know what it is about the Samsung, maybe it's the settings, but the picture on the plasma is better, especially when the balls are in motion (oo err). It might just be that the Samsung is set up for UHD but the picture is only HD so it's a scaling issue? Dunno.

57 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I've been using mine to watch the snooker this week. I don't know what it is about the Samsung, maybe it's the settings, but the picture on the plasma is better, especially when the balls are in motion (oo err). It might just be that the Samsung is set up for UHD but the picture is only HD so it's a scaling issue? Dunno.

I'm not an AV expert but motion on the Panasonic has always been excellent for sport.

22 hours ago, johnsusername said:

How where you watching it? Via Sky Q, aerial, freeview etc?

11 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Sky Q. But it's a Sky Q mini there's no aerial point where the Samsung is and the main Sky box is in the living room. 

I’m assuming the plasma is 1080p? 4k TV’s don’t display 1080 as good as a 1080 screen can, in my experience, especially when using Sky Q. If you change the Sky Q setting to 1080p or 1080i then HD looks better than if you have it set to 2160.

I don’t understand why but some geeks I spoke to about it mentioned scaling and interlacing.

6 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

The "smart TV" element of most of them is decent at best, and mostly shite. Even if they start off well, they never get updates and the apps become shite and out of date.

Much better buying a TV based on the picture and adding an nvidia shield or similar, IMO.

I have a 2016 Samsung model and the Smart TV apps are boss, miles better than what you get on the Sky Q box. I always make sure that I watch Netflix, Disney+, YouTube etc via the TV apps for that reason.

The newest Sky Q box has HDR but it’s not as good as the HDR from those built in apps.

12 hours ago, Brownie said:

I have a 2016 Samsung model and the Smart TV apps are boss, miles better than what you get on the Sky Q box. I always make sure that I watch Netflix, Disney+, YouTube etc via the TV apps for that reason.

The newest Sky Q box has HDR but it’s not as good as the HDR from those built in apps.

I think some of the HDR content on Sky is amazing, personally. That Gangs of Lemur Island series is jaw-droppingly good.  

38 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I think some of the HDR content on Sky is amazing, personally. That Gangs of Lemur Island series is jaw-droppingly good.  

Yeah the Sky stuff is boss, it’s just the built in apps that aren’t the best, on my telly anyway.

There are different versions of HDR, the Sky stuff is HLG whereas Disney+, Netflix etc use different ones like HDR10, Dolby Vision etc.

Can only assume that the Sky Q box mainly focuses on HLG whereas my telly is better at HDR10.

On 18/01/2021 at 21:17, Brownie said:

Yep i tried watching the snooker on the BBC iPlayer app on the TV and it was a nicer picture than watching it through the Sky box. 

I'm hoping Sky bring out a Q mini with UHD capability.