You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

A few years ago we had Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard in midfield with Torres up front, now we're talking about how to get the best out of Lambert, that, right there, is the problem. 

And Borini, who is a total f*cking spaz of a footballer.

This season has been a car crash since Suarez took his own bite of Italian pizza in Brazil. From there it's been downhill and lurched from one crisis to the next, and here we are struggling against villa, west brom and hull.

Who is FSG's football advisor? They must have someone, not associated with the club?

Kenny was sacked after he was summoned to Boston. I got the sense that the owners weren't happy with the way the money had been spent and made Kenny's continued tenure contingent on an embryonic transfer committee. Being old school, he refused and was sacked for it.

The furor over chad was far worse than this transfer window, which is at least as bad.

So nothing to do with being closer to relegation than we were the CL, scoring the same number of goals over 38 games than we currently have over 34 (having spent 50 odd million on strikers) and conceding 40 goals ( though granted we only need to concede 4 in 4 games to eclipse that this season).

We have a rather rose tinted vision of Kenny's second time around.

• Upvote 1

I've been generally pro Rodgers but the ONLY argument I can give for allowing him one more season is my hatred of the revolving door policy of Managers we've fallen into, that said he's had three years I suppose, not a great deal of time but a decent crack of the whip by today's standards. It's the signings that have done for him sadly.

Kenny was sacked after he was summoned to Boston. I got the sense that the owners weren't happy with the way the money had been spent and made Kenny's continued tenure contingent on an embryonic transfer committee. Being old school, he refused and was sacked for it.

The furor over chad was far worse than this transfer window, which is at least as bad.

It's not hard to understand why the owners would not accept a carling cup and getting to an fa cup final getting past the mighty stoke and Everton as enough to cover for being weak in other and more crucial areas which is what they were thinking at the time .

We didn't finish in the top 6 under Kenny and made mostly signings that looked like they would make a massive loss, if Rodgers had been doing this I'm sure he'd be under pressure and probably wouldn't have got a new contract last season.

• Downvote 4

It's not hard to understand why the owners would not accept a carling cup and getting to an fa cup final getting past the mighty stoke and Everton as enough to cover for being weak in other and more crucial areas which is what they were thinking at the time .

We didn't finish in the top 6 under Kenny and made mostly signings that looked like they would make a massive loss, if Rodgers had been doing this I'm sure he'd be under pressure and probably wouldn't have got a new contract last season.

JP, I've generally been supportive of your positive stance, but denigrating those cup runs by listing Stoke and Everton in a sarcastic fashion makes you look like a massive fucking mong, particularly given you've been banging on about Hull and West Brom being tough games.

We beat Man City over two legs as well.

Stick up for Rodgers, but don't get dragged into cheapening the achievements of others to do so.

• Upvote 6

There are worse options than a period of stability. Except our situation work on the weaknesses.

I would only sack Rodgers for someone who has had success at a club with equal expectations and size.

There is no point taking a punt on a up and coming. Stick with the one we have.

A few years ago we had Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard in midfield with Torres up front, now we're talking about how to get the best out of Lambert, that, right there, is the problem. 

We all know that's problem but statements like that don't mean or answer anything.  The landscape has changed.  We signed some great players under Benitez and we also signed some absolute duds.  If City hadn't been bought by billionaires we would have been in the champions league most seasons and still been able to attract those levels of players.  As it happens we're now situated one spot away from the big time as par.  Sanchez, Willian, Mikhatarian etc won't come here until we can prove we are back in there regularly it doesn't matter who is in charge.  Not aimed at you section but If people think Reus or Hummels is going to come here if any of the four clubs above us want them just because Klopp is here you're naive.  I can't remember the last player we signed that one of those clubs wanted.

Just on a side point using an extreme like Lambert weakens your post.  Lambert was signed as a cheap alternative.  We had Voronin in that same period we had all those great players.  The difference with our current manager is that had we signed Lambert a year earlier you wouldn't have found him resting Suarez in a league game and putting Lambert in so that he could play in a league cup game against Reading.

• Upvote 1

JP, I've generally been supportive of your positive stance, but denigrating those cup runs by listing Stoke and Everton in a sarcastic fashion makes you look like a massive fucking mong, particularly given you've been banging on about Hull and West Brom being tough games.

We beat Man City over two legs as well.

Stick up for Rodgers, but don't get dragged into cheapening the achievements of others to do so.

Your right and I do appreciate that Kenny done ok while here, I've said I thought at the time he should have been allowed another year to get a striker which is what I feel now with Rodgers.

I do see the clear reasons why they would have wanted him gone and not Rodgers though as I said based on their thinking at the time, Comolli has made it well known they were pissed about players like Henderson who now has been decent.

• Upvote 1

Your right and I do appreciate that Kenny done ok while here, I've said I thought at the time he should have been allowed another year to get a striker which is what I feel now with Rodgers.

I do see the clear reasons why they would have wanted him gone and not Rodgers though as I said based on their thinking at the time, Comolli has made it well known they were pissed about players like Henderson who now has been decent.

Fair enough; no harm done, it's all just opinions after all.

We all know that's problem but statements like that don't mean or answer anything.  The landscape has changed.  We signed some great players under Benitez and we also signed some absolute duds.  If City hadn't been bought by billionaires we would have been in the champions league most seasons and still been able to attract those levels of players.  As it happens we're now situated one spot away from the big time as par.  Sanchez, Willian, Mikhatarian etc won't come here until we can prove we are back in there regularly it doesn't matter who is in charge.  Not aimed at you section but If people think Reus or Hummels is going to come here if any of the four clubs above us want them just because Klopp is here you're naive.  I can't remember the last player we signed that one of those clubs wanted.

Just on a side point using an extreme like Lambert weakens your post.  Lambert was signed as a cheap alternative.  We had Voronin in that same period we had all those great players.  The difference with our current manager is that had we signed Lambert a year earlier you wouldn't have found him resting Suarez in a league game and putting Lambert in so that he could play in a league cup game against Reading.

We finished in the champions league positions last season and nearly won the league and still bought absolute shite. 

Take Lambert's name out then and put Borrini or Balotelli's name in there and it makes no odds - they're shite too. 

Argue your support for Rodgers by all means, the guy's got some excellent qualities, but don't shit a shitter. Bad signings are bad signings and have absolutely nothing to do with what other clubs have done, the credit crunch, or the orbit of Ganymede. 

• Upvote 1

If they don't see a threat to their investment due to yet more on-field inadequacies then they're in for a big surprise in the next couple of years when it comes to tours and business partners.

Bearing in mind we haven't won the title for a quarter of a century and our recent Euro performances have been occasional, and abject, our commercial deals have held up, and improved, remarkably well. I don't think that they are about to fall off a cliff any time soon.

Commercial money comes in proportion to exposure in the long term. Our absence from the CL hurts that, as does our ineffective EL forays.

Our SC deal has just been extended for three years, the Warrior/New Balance deal has three years to run too. Beyond that the equation is simple, how many times do we appear on TV and how many watch those games.

I think we have cruised on "inertia" loyalty for a long time, and that the failure to reward our fan base with a much larger redeveloped stadium are mistakes.

The problem is that much of our commercial success has been PL driven, and the teams above us are making even more.

Bearing in mind we haven't won the title for a quarter of a century and our recent Euro performances have been occasional, and abject, our commercial deals have held up, and improved, remarkably well. I don't think that they are about to fall off a cliff any time soon.

Commercial money comes in proportion to exposure in the long term. Our absence from the CL hurts that, as does our ineffective EL forays.

Our SC deal has just been extended for three years, the Warrior/New Balance deal has three years to run too. Beyond that the equation is simple, how many times do we appear on TV and how many watch those games.

I think we have cruised on "inertia" loyalty for a long time, and that the failure to reward our fan base with a much larger redeveloped stadium are mistakes.

The problem is that much of our commercial success has been PL driven, and the teams above us are making even more.

It's interesting to note who John Henry follows on Twitter, not many, only 20, and one of which is Si Steers.

If you look at his twitter feed, I think that people might be surprised to see what a FSG disciple (which he must have been in order to be 'trusted' by John Henry in terms of republishing his tweets) has to say about all this:

https://twitter.com/sisteers

Si Steers @sisteers

· 17 hrs 17 hours ago

Rodgers may only survive in a revamped structure, if he refuses that, I think he'll go. Problems all stem from poor recruitment. #LFC.

Si Steers

‏@sisteers I am sure FSG expected some digression this season - but not to this extent. They'll have expected much better. They are ruthless. #LFC.

• Upvote 2

It's interesting to note who John Henry follows on Twitter, not many, only 20, and one of which is Si Steers.

If you look at his twitter feed, I think that people might be surprised to see what a FSG disciple (which he must have been in order to be 'trusted' by John Henry in terms of republishing his tweets) has to say about all this:

https://twitter.com/sisteers

Si Steers @sisteers

· 17 hrs 17 hours ago

Rodgers may only survive in a revamped structure, if he refuses that, I think he'll go. Problems all stem from poor recruitment. #LFC.

Si Steers

‏@sisteers I am sure FSG expected some digression this season - but not to this extent. They'll have expected much better. They are ruthless. #LFC.

interesting