You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Why do you keep saying this when every dummy with a VPN can mask their IP? 

Don't even need to bother with VPN.  There's a multitude of free to use proxy sites out there.

Just keep mentioning Rafa.  If it is the mad Norgie, he'll soon bite.  It's hard wired.

I think the RM game was when I finally went bandit on Rodgers and to compound it, he then dropped the players who put a good shift in.

Wonder who he'll put out against West Brom, as he said the players bottled it against Villa or just didn't show up. Bet Ibe will be the only change.

The Real Madrid game will be remembered by many for all the wrong reasons sadly.

I was astonished as I thought Rodgers would have loved to test his abilities against the European Champions.

You do wonder if prospective signings would have looked at that and thought small-time.

Not long after Di Matteo went there and got a 3-4 win, I think.

The funny thing about the Real Madrid away game was that in 8 games in Europe this season that was the only one where we actually turned up and put a reasonable performance in. Ludogorets, Basle, Besiktas and Real Madrid at home we played like amateurs.

But the team selection effectively signified throwing the game before it started because we were playing Chelsea on Saturday and Rodgers wanted revenge. But we lost to Madrid, Rodgers put the same team of losers out from the week before to play Chelsea and we lost that day as well and were outclassed! He lost a lot of fans that week with terrible management losing all 3 games in 7 days making a right mess of the team selections. I think it showed that he hasn't got a clue how to manage a squad or how to rotate.

Thinking back on it, that Real game is probably where my own faith began to take some proper knocks.  Both the decision to field the team he did and then to ignore the players out of it who did put a proper shift in for the game against Chelsea, I thought it was poor man-management in addition to poor football management.

There's also the fact that but for the grace of God we'd have had a longish stint of Brad Jones in goal with Mignolet being basically hung out to dry in public by his manager.  He was playing terribly at the time, no doubt about it, but the fact that anybody could think Jones was the answer astonished me.  That's without even getting into the fact that one thing not helping Mignolet was the way teams were dancing through our woeful defence chiefly due to that fucking space cadet Lovren.  I can't blame the lad for not having much confidence with him in front.

• Upvote 3

The Real Madrid game was ludicrously spun as some sort of triumph at the time as well, like we excelled ourselves only losing 1-0 at the Bernabeu. Shankly would of been rolling in his grave seeing that. Then the full backlash was realised when we ended up getting tonked by Chelsea as well, compounding the foolishness of playing like the Cook Islands against Germany in a game we desperately needed something out of.

The tradition and history of this club demands you go into every game trying to win, to play like your happy to lose as long as you keep the numbers down is not acceptable at this football club, ever, no matter who your playing. It might be acceptable at Swansea but not here.

• Upvote 4

The Real Madrid game was ludicrously spun as some sort of triumph at the time as well, like we excelled ourselves only losing 1-0 at the Bernabeu. Shankly would of been rolling in his grave seeing that. Then the full backlash was realised when we ended up getting tonked by Chelsea as well, compounding the foolishness of playing like the Cook Islands against Germany in a game we desperately needed something out of.

The tradition and history of this club demands you go into every game trying to win, to play like your happy to lose as long as you keep the numbers down is not acceptable at this football club, ever, no matter who your playing. It might be acceptable at Swansea but not here.

Real Madrid never got out of first gear and we barely had a shot at goal. It's Everton behaviour to take solace in defeat because they never achieve anything. Anything we got in Madrid would have been a bonus though but the home game was the let down there. A totally inept, clueless performance and if they didn't go easy on us second half that could have easily been 5 or 6.

But we did actually play some good football in Madrid and unlike every other European game this season we looked solid and tactically switched on.

Rodgers dropped a few players who weren't performing for a game against the best team in Europe at the time a few days before a big game we had more of a chance to win and was more crucial.

The game plan was clear and almost came off, we put out a team with a lot of energy to try and stay in the game until the hour mark where we could bring our big players when they were tired and there was more space, Rodgers even said this after the match.

I didn't get what the fuss was about at the time and I wouldn't have held that against any manager in those circumstances especially when their plan nearly worked and they got a better performance then when the players on the bench started.

• Downvote 3

The Real Madrid game was ludicrously spun as some sort of triumph at the time as well, like we excelled ourselves only losing 1-0 at the Bernabeu. Shankly would of been rolling in his grave seeing that. 

Spot on this.  The most embarrassing bullshit spouted for a generation.  Losers. 

Rodgers dropped a few players who weren't performing for a game against the best team in Europe at the time a few days before a big game we had more of a chance to win and was more crucial.

The game plan was clear and almost came off, we put out a team with a lot of energy to try and stay in the game until the hour mark where we could bring our big players when they were tired and there was more space, Rodgers even said this after the match.

I didn't get what the fuss was about at the time and I wouldn't have held that against any manager in those circumstances especially when their plan nearly worked and they got a better performance then when the players on the bench started.

Fuck me mate is there any anything you can't try and spin, it was fucking shite behaviour and the manager should have refunded the lads who went there out his own pocket.

• Upvote 5

Fuck me mate is there any anything you can't try and spin, it was fucking shite behaviour and the manager should have refunded the lads who went there out his own pocket.

As I say I wouldn't have criticised any manager for that, the prestige of playing Madrid was not my main concern of the season and I felt the players dropped deserved it.They were appalling in the league and needed a kick up the arse.

• Downvote 1

The Real Madrid game was ludicrously spun as some sort of triumph at the time as well, like we excelled ourselves only losing 1-0 at the Bernabeu. Shankly would of been rolling in his grave seeing that.

The thing i remember most about that. Was Rodgers turning up for the aftermatch interview with a cheesy grin on his face, thinking he was going to be lauded for gifting Real the game.

First question. What do you say to the critics about dropping your players after that defeat....... Smirk Gone.....

came out fighting in press conference today by the sounds of it.

looks like hes staying.

Fans are still finding something to moan about because he said he believes that he is the best man for the job and that we are around where we would be expected to be.

A manager having confidence in himself is a positive and necessity, he also doesn't say that being 5th and in two semis is an achievement as fans on twitter etc are trying to make out, he said of course he wants better and will be looking to do better next season.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9818869/Rodgers-The-Ego-Has-Truly-Landed

The Real Madrid game was where Rodger's only tactic of 'keep attacking until you score' was never going to work, because the fatal flaw in that is if you can't overpower your opponent and keep them on the back foot, even for a short period, you're fucked. 

There's no way Sterling and Coutinho are going to be able to knock a side like Madrid down on their own, it might work against Swansea.

As I say I wouldn't have criticised any manager for that, the prestige of playing Madrid was not my main concern of the season and I felt the players dropped deserved it.They were appalling in the league and needed a kick up the arse.

Ayre was talking it up, the 5 times winners versus the 10 times winners at the draw.

"I just spoke to Brendan and he watched the draw from his office at the training ground. They are all tough groups but we're pleased," Ayre said.

"it's particularly special to have Real Madrid in the group. We've got great memories of previous games against them.

"It's fantastic.  When you look at Liverpool as a football club, it's our competition. 

"We're the five-times winners and we're playing against a club who has just won it for the 10th time which makes it a very special group."

Ludogorets are an unknown quantity but Ayre says the Reds will start doing their homework on the Bulgarian minnows.

came out fighting in press conference today by the sounds of it.

looks like hes staying.

one that was so censored they failed to show it live at 2pm as advertised, then failed to show any highlights on the 5pm LFCtv news other than him talking about Henderson's contract extension.

Rodgers insists where Liverpool currently find themselves is “on a par” with where they should be.

However, Rodgers says he retains the full backing of owners Fenway Sports Group.

Asked if he was confident he would still be in charge next season, Rodgers said: “Very much so. I don’t think there is anyone better. That’s the reality of how I see it.

“Three months ago I was a tactical genius, performing to a good level.

“We lost some important games and now I’m not so good. That’s football, people will speculate.

“I never get too carried away when we win or overly disappointed when we lose as you have to look to the next game.

“I have a strong relationship with the owners. They understand this was going to be a process.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/brendan-rodgers-insists-im-still-9103635

if he remains in situ, it's a sign of dreadful weekness from FSG IMO