You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

It doesn't take a genius to work out FSG will be happy with transfers, they would make profit if they were to sell all they bought under Rodgers while there are players whose value will increase.

As for Evans I'm not going to even bother reading his article as he is known to make shit up and I don't value his opinion when it comes to football.

How can the committee work well if they're not on the same page as the manager? The summer seemed as though Rodgers got a few picks (the dregs from Southampton) and the committee picked a few (Balotelli, Markovic, Moreno, Manquilo).

The committee would only work well if they were able to identify players the manager is happy with. If the manager is not happy with the players they've identified then either the manager is at fault or the committee are. Either way you can't just leave it as it is after an omni-shambles like last summer. I think there's a good case to sack the fucking lot of them but something has to give.

It doesn't take a genius to work out FSG will be happy with transfers, they would make profit if they were to sell all they bought under Rodgers

That's pushing it.

Especially when you factor in the fact that when we get bids for our cast offs they won't go. It's okay saying oh we could get £14m for Borini if he refuses to go. There's not many players we've signed under Rodgers who have increased in value. A lot of them have decreased.

The owners cannot be happy with that 225 mill investment. We should have got so much more bang for our buck if we were canny in the market.

its hard to know what to do. we ve been down this road so many times with the promise of a league title going up in smoke and the whole thing burns down the following season. 97 with evans, the year after was a disaster and he got 3 months as joint manager the following season, 02 with Houllier we looked like we d win league and CL but the following year we fell apart albeit we won a league cup which probably helped him get another season, 08-09 rafa gets close and for many overly discussed reasons it all went to shit.

im really torn on what we should do. can rodgers get anymore out of these players? is the right manager available to take this squad with a few additions and win trophies plus secure CL football or is rodgers still the only man for the job?

The only way we get our money back for Joe Allen, is if JP himself digs up the loose change under the sofa.

Anyway I don't get this nonsense we can get money back for player x as some sort of silly boast.

They are meant to be a little bit more than ebay items and actually contribute,  score goals, do tackles, make chances, stop goals and that football stuff that the fans pay to go and watch.

• Upvote 1

JP but your opinion is that we can never have a start to the season as bad as this one and you base that opinion on nothing other than you want it to be so. You also talk of Rodgers' success when he hasn't had any!

I base it on the fact we had no strikers, a team low on confidence and new players bedding in to team playing shit.We lost our two strikers and our captain rapidly declined.

If we had a decent start just winning a few more games against the smaller teams we normally dispatch with ease then we would be in the title race.

The striker situation will be a lot better as even a decent striker would be a massive upgrade on what we have had this season and new players are now used of the club and Rodgers methods.

The only way we get our money back for Joe Allen, is if JP himself digs up the loose change under the sofa.

Anyway I don't get this nonsense we can get money back for player x as some sort of silly boast.

They are meant to be a little bit more than ebay items and actually contribute,  score goals, do tackles, make chances, stop goals and that football stuff that the fans pay to go and watch.

The only player we signed last season who has retained his value is Emre Can. Maybe Lambert if some desperate club at the bottom gives us our 4 million back in the hope he'll score 10-15 goals.

Lallana is a £10m player who we might get £15m for because he's English but then he'd have to agree to drop down a level because one of the top 4 club wouldn't be coming in for him. Lovren we'd lose at least half our money on already.

Markovic and Moreno will have gone down in value but are young and can improve with good coaching like Henderson did.

Balotelli is only going to go back to Italy which means Aquilani all over again in that cheapskate league so that's dead money.

The problem for FSG is that that if they do replace him, the new manager will want to dump several of those recruits at considerable cost, then spend again. If the purchasing criteria remains the same we may just burn a whole load more cash for 5th.

That will have to happen with or without Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

Genius, no. Just a certifiable resident of cloud cuckooland.

Me on this site is like one flew other the cuckoos nest with regards to football unfortunately for you guys.

John Aldridge agreeing with everything I said regarding the semi final, and also stating how important a striker will be for us as I've also been saying.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/john-aldridge-liverpool-fc-grim-9091763

• Downvote 1

"Actually do stuff"

Stuff like play the best football any Liverpool side I've ever seen have and be in for the title on the last day.

That sort of stuff.

People have short memories.

You mean this sort of thing?

"A team that plays the Liverpool way

And wins the championship in May"

Long memories hurt too much.

Me on this site is like one flew other the cuckoos nest with regards to football unfortunately for you guys.

John Aldridge agreeing with everything I said regarding the semi final, and also stating how important a striker will be for us as I've also been saying.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/john-aldridge-liverpool-fc-grim-9091763

Quoting for posterity.

"Actually do stuff"

Stuff like play the best football any Liverpool side I've ever seen have and be in for the title on the last day.

That sort of stuff.

No, a short memory would be forgetting the number of games last season where we played terrible football yet won because of Suarez in the main. Take him out the team and buy a number of rather average replacements and you end up with a team that plays more bad games.

Other stuff is having Couthino scoring a stunning strike by making space for himself and the manager trying to take credit for it.

I think it's rather obvious I don't like Rodgers but in all seriousness what mostly gets my goat is not him personally but the dreadful football.

That will have to happen with or without Rodgers.

Will it?

I think that Brendan will have a difficult hand to play this summer. If he looks to recycle his flops into the transfer market FSG will, rightly, question his judgement first time around. If he doesn't he will have little room for manoeuvre.

Unless he cashes in on Sterling...

They are meant to be a little bit more than ebay items and actually contribute, score goals, do tackles, make chances, stop goals and that football stuff that the fans pay to go and watch.

We paid 16m + add ons for Henderson a player who was getting a run of games on the right for a struggling Sunderland side and showed some potential, he was not even playing in the position he was viewed for yet.

Allen was the star of the Swansea team playing football everyone was raving about, I don't know what people expected us to get him for.

Whatever anyone says about him when he's played he's contributed and is a part of the first team.

Seeing as he's on low wages I would expect to recoup most of it if not more, other managers recognise Allens contribution as we saw with Manu man marking him and the Swansea manager was saying before we played them how Allen had been bossing games for us.

The only player we signed last season who has retained his value is Emre Can. Maybe Lambert if some desperate club at the bottom gives us our 4 million back in the hope he'll score 10-15 goals.

Lallana is a £10m player who we might get £15m for because he's English but then he'd have to agree to drop down a level because one of the top 4 club wouldn't be coming in for him. Lovren we'd lose at least half our money on already.

Markovic and Moreno will have gone down in value but are young and can improve with good coaching like Henderson did.

Balotelli is only going to go back to Italy which means Aquilani all over again in that cheapskate league so that's dead money.

The policy we're going for with a lot of the players is not really dependent on the players holding their value 12 months after. It's longer term than that, as you reference with Markovic and Moreno. I think Lovren is a bit in that camp too.

Nobody really though we were buying Lallana and Lambert for resale values did they?

If they are worried about players holding values, I doubt they are too happy at nearly all the signings playing in unfamiliar roles.

I am sure there will be a few agents bending the owners ears.

What role does the manager see for me, as I am not sure if the manager knows my strengths and weaknesses well.

They might need to get a more experienced man who has done this type of thing before to get the best out of them.

Not that I am arsed about values but the players values who have gone up are Suarez and Sterling were bought pre- Rodgers.

I agree.

They forget we were playing only once a week with no Euro commitments, that Maureen had not had time to reshape Chelsea, that Man u were being destroyed by Moyes and Arsenal had their usual injury crisis and were pre Ozil and Sanchez. They also forget that refereeing decisions went our way, we were pretty injury free, we had early domestic cup exits and Suarez opening ban was the only suspension of note. Combine that with the form of a world class player determined to make an impression in World Cup year and you have a set of circumstances that will not be repeated.

I don't knock Brendan for his achievement in securing second place, having the opportunity to do something and taking that opportunity are two different things- he took it.

But any idea that we were on the brink, in the same way as Rafa's second,is fanciful. We needed shrewd, and substantial investment. Although the money was not far short, the decision making was.

• Upvote 1

If they are worried about players holding values, I doubt they are too happy at nearly all the signings playing in unfamiliar roles.

I am sure there will be a few agents bending the owners ears.

What role does the manager see for me, as I am not sure if the manager knows my strengths and weaknesses well.

They might need to get a more experienced man who has done this type of thing before to get the best out of them.

Not that I am arsed about values but the players values who have gone up are Suarez and Sterling were bought pre- Rodgers.

Yeah, just them two.

You strange man.

I agree.

They forget we were playing only once a week with no Euro commitments, that Maureen had not had time to reshape Chelsea, that Man u were being destroyed by Moyes and Arsenal had their usual injury crisis and were pre Ozil and Sanchez. They also forget that refereeing decisions went our way, we were pretty injury free, we had early domestic cup exits and Suarez opening ban was the only suspension of note. Combine that with the form of a world class player determined to make an impression in World Cup year and you have a set of circumstances that will not be repeated.

I don't knock Brendan for his achievement in securing second place, having the opportunity to do something and taking that opportunity are two different things- he took it.

But any idea that we were on the brink, in the same way as Rafa's second,is fanciful. We needed shrewd, and substantial investment. Although the money was not far short, the decision making was.

What the fuck has that got to do with Joe Allen helping us get to within a game of the title?

Liverpool fans going out of their way to talk down pretty much anyone involved in a title challenge and the best football for decades apart from Suarez. Liverpool fans. 

Pathetic.