You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Playstation 4

Sut

Not that smoothly.  I'm probably going to switch back to Sony this gen but it's not a good start.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/14/faulty-ps4-consoles-reported-by-american-press-and-gamers-4186990/

Reports have emerged of PlayStation 4 retail units not working or breaking down, with the problems centered around the HDMI output.

Although it’s not out in Europe for another two weeks the PlayStation 4 is released in North America tomorrow, and it seems some of the first batch of consoles may be worryingly unreliable.

Websites Kotaku and IGN have both reported problems with their retail units, with Kotaku claiming that theirs never worked from the moment it was removed from the box.

‘The first retail PS4 we got from Sony didn’t work,’ reports journalist Stephen Totilo. ‘The issue was rather simple: the bad unit had a faulty HDMI jack that we couldn’t fully plug an HDMI cable into.’

‘It couldn’t make a solid connection and therefore, apparently, couldn’t transmit a stable signal to our TV. We tried different cables and monitors. The issue was with the console.’

The problem at IGN also relates to the HDMI output, which considering all the millions of things that could go wrong with the console seems a surprisingly mudane fault.

‘An IGN retail PS4 stopped outputting through the HDMI after the user began downloading Netflix,’ says an IGN article.

The article also identifies two forum members on NeoGAF who reported similar problems, with PlayStation 4 owner ‘Arogon’ going on to explanin his problems on Reddit.

He won a competition to receive a PlayStation 4 before its official American launch date but will now not get a replacement until likely next week.

‘When I turn on my console it just sits there pulsing blue. As far as I can tell it is supposed to turn white but it isn’t doing that,’ he said on Reddit.

Hardware issues are the norm when it comes to any new console launch but with so few PlayStation 4s out in the wild at the moment it’s impossible to say how serious this problem is.

The fact that it’s related to the HDMI output, rather than some complex fault with the console’s bespoke processors, suggests an easily fixable problem – but that won’t help Sony if a large percentage of launch consoles have the same fault.

The Xbox One is released in the US on November 22, the same day as the UK, and most press, including us, already have their consoles. At the moment though there are no reports of any issues.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/14/uncharted-on-ps4-the-last-of-us-left-behind-dlc-revealed/

We have great news for all our Uncharted fans – AmyJustin, and the team are hard at work on an amazing new installment of the Uncharted series to be released exclusively on the PlayStation 4 system. Our goal is to continue what we’ve done in previous console generations and once again deliver the best in storytelling, performance capture, technical innovation and graphics on the PS4. We can confirm that the voiceover is performed by Todd Stashwick and he will play a character in the game.

There isn’t much more we can say right now about The Last of Us: Left Behind and even less about our Unchartedproject, but feel free to let us know what you think in the comments below. Believe me – we can’t wait to shed more light on both of these projects to our fans.

I platinized all four Uncharted games but have to admit the 3rd PS3 one did grate a fair bit - I stuck at it because I was only a couple of trophies away by the time I completed it on crushing difficulty. The controls weren't as smooth as the first two and I found it infuriating that Drake couldn't pass a wall without touching it. Golden Abyss was a good little game, though and the first two are amongst my favourite games.

The PlayStation app has been updated for Android, but I noticed that I could not get it through the Google Play Store on either my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7. (It was OK on my Xperia Z, as you'd expect).

You can find the app on the Play Store, here.

If you cannot install the app from the Play Store, you can follow the below link to an APK that you can download and use to install the application.

PlayStation Application APK

For those using iOS, you can get the application, here.

Granted consoles are slightly different (although it's pointless buying one on release day anyway) but the number of people who needlessly pre order things is mental.

How many games sell out these days that makes the hassle of pre ordering (and not even getting it at release) a better alternative.

My son has finally made his mind up what he wants for Xmas, opting for the PS4. I see Amazon and Currys are stating orders now won't be delivered until after Xmas. Anyone know any where one can be ordered for delivery for Xmas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some websites like Very are saying they have packages available for day one release and Tesco said they have some packages for release on day 1 too. Game are saying all orders will be made for Christmas.

Granted consoles are slightly different (although it's pointless buying one on release day anyway) but the number of people who needlessly pre order things is mental.

How many games sell out these days that makes the hassle of pre ordering (and not even getting it at release) a better alternative.

I do agree, the only reason to pre-order games is because you get incentives sometimes for example Battlefield 4 pre-orders get the China Rising DLC for free.