You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So what would be a 'good season' at this stage?

Block109'er

A continuation of a discussion I was having with my Dad after the Utd game on Sunday.

So realistically what now would be a ‘good’ season?

Me and the old fella both agreed that 5th would be a good season under the circumstances and 7th had to be the absolute minimum for the manager to keep his job.

What do you think?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

A significantly better half of the season than the first in terms of points, Sturridge scoring, and building a settled team for next season and adding to it over the summer.

Would be good if we could pick up the FA Cup, would be really good if we could pick up the Europa League.

Finish in a better position than last year. Pull apart Everton at Anfield. Challenge for a trophy (as in, if we go down, put up a good fight at least), ideally the Europa, and not fall into a rut like last year.

I look at the fixtures and can't help but feel that we have an opportunity, but that's before Europe is taken into account. In the league there are five games against teams I think are better than us, two of those (Arse and Blues) could easily go either way and on our day we are at least a match for, three of the five are at home and you don't know which Chelsea is going to turn up (well you know which fans are gong to turn up, which is a worry considering the Rafa tension and which weekend it's on).

We HAVE to build a better record against the teams below us and around us. That is imperative and will go far in building character within the squad, which is what the younger guys need to be a part of right now. We have to be able to say to Luis at the season's end, "give us another year".

Oh and an Ibe debut.

edit: and yeah, how galling is it describing five teams (NOT including the mancs) as "better than us"... that makes 7th par, which isn't good enough. But I don't think it's about massive changes in personnel anymore (we miss the quality we had, but most of the players here now can reach a much higher level), I like our defence and think we have options in midfield (need another player of quality since Sahin didn't work out), our attack is too raw though. Sterling and Suso are far too green and we over rely on Suarez. Big hopes for Sturridge but Borini needs a lot of work to get up to speed. Ultimately it's about building the belief and mentality that has been drained out of the squad over the last three years.

Its not that we don't have the players to get 5th. Because we do. Its that we don't have the players to play Rodger's system - which he will unwaveringly adopt in nearly every game - to get 5th.

This is a good point actually mate and probably worth a thread all of it's own.

That said though, should we not for the money that has been spent this season alone not be expecting to finish above Everton?

Why 7th minimum for him to keep his job ? , the yanks would be absolute morons to sack him even if Liverpool finish 9th / 10th , we simply have to give him next season at the bare minimum.

From where we are 6th would be decent above Everton , horrible talking like that but thats the grim reality , got to be honest i almost dont give a fuck where we finish in the league this season , 7th , 8th , 9th , whats the difference its all shite.

Be nice go deep in the EL , if we get past Zenit the next round looks easier on paper , Basel or some other Eastern European team , Dnipro ? would also be nice to make up for last seasons FA Cup final , dont really expect it but hope we can get to the final in one of them.

Just want to see us playing better , scoring goals and start looking like a serious team again , give us a bit of hope for next season which is going to be huge for us.

This is a good point actually mate and probably worth a thread all of it's own.

That said though' date=' should we not for the money that has been spent this season alone not be expecting to finish above Everton?[/quote']

Well, yes - in my opinion anyway. 42m+ is not to be balked at but seems to be nothing in the eyes of many Liverpool fans for some reason.

Eitherway, this thread is really depressing. Funny how lowering of expectations insets out of nowhere.

Brendan should get another year but fuck me, anybody thinking this is good enough is kidding themselves. Kenny was sacked for a reason - its called "8th". Why, now that Brendan is here and talking about triangles, any lower is okay is beyond me. However it seems like we could finish 17th and have it excused with that fateful word 'transition'.

Stick transition up your arse please, Liverpool, and start making some clever decisions on and off the pitch to compete now. Its not impossible, nor unreasonable, take a look at the clubs around us for reference.

From my perspective, a good season is winning something. ANYTHING, but obviously Premier League Champions springs to mind. Hell, I'd settle on Champions League qualification.

From FSG's perspective, making a profit is a good season.

In terms of Brendan Rodgers, it makes little difference whether we come 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th or any position down to bottom three (relegation). He'll still have his job.

That's how FSG roll.

Rinse and repeat

A significantly better half of the season than the first in terms of points, Sturridge scoring, and building a settled team for next season and adding to it over the summer.

Would be good if we could pick up the FA Cup, would be really good if we could pick up the Europa League.

This, basically.

5th?! Haha. Maybe in our collective dreams.

Its not that we don't have the players to get 5th. Because we do. Its that we don't have the players to play Rodger's system - which he will unwaveringly adopt in nearly every game - to get 5th.

We dont have the system to finish 5th, see thats much easier, nothing wrong with the players, they are good enough to get 3rd with the right manager.

Getting back into the race for (and hopefully grabbing) 4th until the end of the season. We have a better side now than we had at the start of the season so we should be picking up more points in the second half as long the squad stays fit and we don't have too many injuries.

The least we should expect is top 5 and more improvement throughout the season.

Let's refrain from insinuating BR's sacking if certian benchmarks are not met. I think Rodgers should be given one more season minimum, no matter the result, and be judged on his accomplishment of next season. As we all know changing managers every single season is a recipe for disaster. Having just reinforced the forward line, Rodgers should now turn to the midfield, presently our weakest link, and get in someone before the window closes. We cannot afford to wait for Lucas to attain match fitness and come good which may not happen soon enough. Rodgers is a young inexperienced manager but he has also shown that he's quick to learn and rectify mistakes.

Top six. A trophy would be ace.

Probably setting the bar a bit high, but he did ask what would make a "good season," and that would certainly qualify at this point.

People talking about getting into a race for fourth are completely deluded, and the same goes for anyone suggesting Rodgers will be sacked for anything short of relegation.

I predict 7th to 9th somewhere, perhaps a semifinal in one of the cups, as the most likely outcome of the season.