You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you think?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I strongly agree
    • I strongly disagree
    • I agree
    • I disagree
    • I am unsure.

How the fuck do they get away with non-stop death songs that man woman and child could hear plainly and clearly for most of the match, but then we end up eating shit over something that wasn't audible on tv in the 2nd game?  

David Gill

Good article from Mark Ogden in the i today regarding the two matches, and is one of the few journalist who has had a pop over UEFA for not charging the Mancs over what went on.

For some reason my pc won't let me paste it on here....

Manchester United vs Liverpool: Football has again become a vehicle for many to unleash their animal instinct

Mark Ogden Chief Football Correspondent 15 hours  ago3 comments

Tony Bland was 22 when he died in March 1993, almost four years after suffering severe brain damage during the crush in the Leppings Lane paddock at Hillsborough in April 1989.

Just 18 at the time of the FA Cup  semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, Bland survived the initial crush, but so severe were the injuries suffered by his brain, he spent the next 47 months in a persistent vegetative state before his parents successfully applied for a court order to enable their son to “die with dignity” through the withdrawal of life-prolonging treatment. As a result, Tony Bland became the 96th Liverpool supporter to lose their life in the Hillsborough disaster.

Roger Byrne Jnr never knew his father. His mother, Joy, gave birth in October, 1958, eight months after her husband, Roger, was one of eight Manchester United players killed – there were 23 fatalities in total – when the Airspeed Ambassador aircraft carrying Matt Busby’s team back from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade crashed on its third attempt to take off at a snowbound Munich-Riem Airport on 6 February. Roger Snr, the United captain, did not know that his wife was expecting their first child.

Tony Bland and Roger Byrne. Two men who lost their lives in wholly unrelated disasters before they had reached their prime. Both were personal tragedies, just like the other 95 victims at Hillsborough and the 22 other fatalities at Munich, yet the horrific loss of life in Sheffield and Bavaria  has become macabre material for those aiming to goad rival football supporters in a contest to decide who can cross the line most aggressively in the race to abandon decency and human values.

The Europa League round-of-16 tie between Liverpool and Manchester United should have showcased English football’s two most successful clubs to the world, yet most of the headlines centred on the ugly side of the rivalry between the two cities.

As clubs, Liverpool and United are kindred spirits. They share successes and tragedies, a vast fan base across the globe, with each boasting honours’ lists which are the envy of all their domestic rivals.

But those who pay to watch Liverpool and United despise each other and the bile spewed out before, during and after the two-legged tie was every bit as poisonous as the sectarian nonsense which has stained Old Firm rivalry in Glasgow between Celtic and Rangers for as long as anyone can care to remember.

United supporters, both at Anfield and Old Trafford, taunted their rivals with chants of “Murderers” and “The Sun was right, you’re murderers”, mocking those killed at Hillsborough and those who have campaigned for more than two decades to clear the names of the Liverpool fans in Sheffield on that day in 1989. There were also chants of “Justice for Heysel” and “Always the victims, it’s never your fault”, so it would be flimsy in the extreme for United supporters to suggest their songs had nothing to do with Hillsborough. A banner, saying simply “Murderers”, with the date of the Hillsborough disaster, was draped over a bridge on the M602 in Salford on the approach to Old Trafford last Thursday evening.

An hour before kick-off last week, a group of around 30 Liverpool supporters marched up Sir Matt Busby Way singing “Who’s that dying on the runway? Who’s that lying in the snow?” – brazenly goading thousands of United supporters into a reaction. That reaction ultimately came late in the game, when a scuffle broke out between rival fans after a Liverpool supporter unfurled a banner in the United section.

Uefa has since charged both clubs for the actions of their supporters although, inexplicably, only Liverpool face censure for the unsavoury chants by their followers.

Such is the melting pot between the two cities, located 35 miles apart, it is likely that some of those venting their bile across the lines of segregation were together again the following morning, laying tracks for the new Metrolink lines in Manchester or building new hotels and offices in Liverpool.

Many will insist such tribal animosity is football’s problem – and that will undoubtedly be the accusation once again if, or when, England supporters in Berlin for Saturday’s friendly against Germany stroll through Kastanienallee singing about two world wars and the Royal Air Force to a bemused local audience.

The Hillsborough songs and Munich chants are as likely to be heard along Deansgate in Manchester or outside the Liver Buildings as they are at Anfield and Old Trafford, so what can football do to rid itself of the problem that has crept back inside the stadiums?

In October 2012, Leeds United supporters glorified in the notoriety of Jimmy Savile by chanting “Jimmy Savile, he shags who he wants” during a game against Sheffield Wednesday, while Sol Campbell was forced to endure horrific abuse whenever he faced Tottenham Hotspur after leaving the club for Arsenal in 2001.

Football’s misfortune is that it has become the vehicle for many to unleash their animal instinct for 90 minutes a week before returning to some kind of normality and respectability.

Those who chanted about Munich and Hillsborough regard it as a verbal kicking, an easy way to get under the skin of those they loathe the most, yet probably have no knowledge – or desire to learn – about the personal loss and tragedy of each victim of the disasters.

Perhaps the recent outbreak is simply because, without recent trophies or success to taunt their rivals with, they have chosen instead to scrape the barrel.

Whenever racist chanting breaks out in grounds, the culprits are rightly pursued and dealt with in a vigorous manner, yet mocking the deaths of those killed in disasters appears only to prompt shakes of the head and headlines about “vile chants”.

As clubs, United and Liverpool have done all they can to eradicate the bitterness and hostility, but when tradesmen from Manchester take a perverse satisfaction from driving to a job in Liverpool with a copy of The Sun strategically placed on the dashboard of their van, what chance do the likes of Munich survivor Sir Bobby Charlton or Hillsborough campaigner Margaret Aspinall have when it comes to calling for sense and mutual respect?

It will be the same in Berlin this weekend. Events from the past, which many supporters are too young to have experienced, let alone remember, have become fair game in the stands and in the bars and streets outside. And football has no chance of stopping it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-vs-liverpool-football-has-again-become-a-vehicle-for-many-to-unleash-their-animal-a6944441.html

• Upvote 1

Good article from Mark Ogden in the i today regarding the two matches, and is one of the few journalist who has had a pop over UEFA for not charging the Mancs over what went on.

For some reason my pc won't let me paste it on here....

Yeh but no answers

Ban away supporters for a season every time it happens.  

Manchester United vs Liverpool: Football has again become a vehicle for many to unleash their animal instinct

Mark Ogden Chief Football Correspondent 15 hours  ago3 comments

Tony Bland was 22 when he died in March 1993, almost four years after suffering severe brain damage during the crush in the Leppings Lane paddock at Hillsborough in April 1989.

Just 18 at the time of the FA Cup  semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, Bland survived the initial crush, but so severe were the injuries suffered by his brain, he spent the next 47 months in a persistent vegetative state before his parents successfully applied for a court order to enable their son to “die with dignity” through the withdrawal of life-prolonging treatment. As a result, Tony Bland became the 96th Liverpool supporter to lose their life in the Hillsborough disaster.

Roger Byrne Jnr never knew his father. His mother, Joy, gave birth in October, 1958, eight months after her husband, Roger, was one of eight Manchester United players killed – there were 23 fatalities in total – when the Airspeed Ambassador aircraft carrying Matt Busby’s team back from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade crashed on its third attempt to take off at a snowbound Munich-Riem Airport on 6 February. Roger Snr, the United captain, did not know that his wife was expecting their first child.

Tony Bland and Roger Byrne. Two men who lost their lives in wholly unrelated disasters before they had reached their prime. Both were personal tragedies, just like the other 95 victims at Hillsborough and the 22 other fatalities at Munich, yet the horrific loss of life in Sheffield and Bavaria  has become macabre material for those aiming to goad rival football supporters in a contest to decide who can cross the line most aggressively in the race to abandon decency and human values.

The Europa League round-of-16 tie between Liverpool and Manchester United should have showcased English football’s two most successful clubs to the world, yet most of the headlines centred on the ugly side of the rivalry between the two cities.

As clubs, Liverpool and United are kindred spirits. They share successes and tragedies, a vast fan base across the globe, with each boasting honours’ lists which are the envy of all their domestic rivals.

But those who pay to watch Liverpool and United despise each other and the bile spewed out before, during and after the two-legged tie was every bit as poisonous as the sectarian nonsense which has stained Old Firm rivalry in Glasgow between Celtic and Rangers for as long as anyone can care to remember.

United supporters, both at Anfield and Old Trafford, taunted their rivals with chants of “Murderers” and “The Sun was right, you’re murderers”, mocking those killed at Hillsborough and those who have campaigned for more than two decades to clear the names of the Liverpool fans in Sheffield on that day in 1989. There were also chants of “Justice for Heysel” and “Always the victims, it’s never your fault”, so it would be flimsy in the extreme for United supporters to suggest their songs had nothing to do with Hillsborough. A banner, saying simply “Murderers”, with the date of the Hillsborough disaster, was draped over a bridge on the M602 in Salford on the approach to Old Trafford last Thursday evening.

An hour before kick-off last week, a group of around 30 Liverpool supporters marched up Sir Matt Busby Way singing “Who’s that dying on the runway? Who’s that lying in the snow?” – brazenly goading thousands of United supporters into a reaction. That reaction ultimately came late in the game, when a scuffle broke out between rival fans after a Liverpool supporter unfurled a banner in the United section.

Uefa has since charged both clubs for the actions of their supporters although, inexplicably, only Liverpool face censure for the unsavoury chants by their followers.

Such is the melting pot between the two cities, located 35 miles apart, it is likely that some of those venting their bile across the lines of segregation were together again the following morning, laying tracks for the new Metrolink lines in Manchester or building new hotels and offices in Liverpool.

Many will insist such tribal animosity is football’s problem – and that will undoubtedly be the accusation once again if, or when, England supporters in Berlin for Saturday’s friendly against Germany stroll through Kastanienallee singing about two world wars and the Royal Air Force to a bemused local audience.

The Hillsborough songs and Munich chants are as likely to be heard along Deansgate in Manchester or outside the Liver Buildings as they are at Anfield and Old Trafford, so what can football do to rid itself of the problem that has crept back inside the stadiums?

In October 2012, Leeds United supporters glorified in the notoriety of Jimmy Savile by chanting “Jimmy Savile, he shags who he wants” during a game against Sheffield Wednesday, while Sol Campbell was forced to endure horrific abuse whenever he faced Tottenham Hotspur after leaving the club for Arsenal in 2001.

Football’s misfortune is that it has become the vehicle for many to unleash their animal instinct for 90 minutes a week before returning to some kind of normality and respectability.

Those who chanted about Munich and Hillsborough regard it as a verbal kicking, an easy way to get under the skin of those they loathe the most, yet probably have no knowledge – or desire to learn – about the personal loss and tragedy of each victim of the disasters.

Perhaps the recent outbreak is simply because, without recent trophies or success to taunt their rivals with, they have chosen instead to scrape the barrel.

Whenever racist chanting breaks out in grounds, the culprits are rightly pursued and dealt with in a vigorous manner, yet mocking the deaths of those killed in disasters appears only to prompt shakes of the head and headlines about “vile chants”.

As clubs, United and Liverpool have done all they can to eradicate the bitterness and hostility, but when tradesmen from Manchester take a perverse satisfaction from driving to a job in Liverpool with a copy of The Sun strategically placed on the dashboard of their van, what chance do the likes of Munich survivor Sir Bobby Charlton or Hillsborough campaigner Margaret Aspinall have when it comes to calling for sense and mutual respect?

It will be the same in Berlin this weekend. Events from the past, which many supporters are too young to have experienced, let alone remember, have become fair game in the stands and in the bars and streets outside. And football has no chance of stopping it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-vs-liverpool-football-has-again-become-a-vehicle-for-many-to-unleash-their-animal-a6944441.html

Just a shame that the so called 'heavyweights' in the media didnt write a similar article.

Where was bluto's piece? Where was jason(?) burt's? Where was captain picard's? Where was oliver holt's?

Their silence was fucking defeaning.

• Upvote 1

Just a shame that the so called 'heavyweights' in the media didnt write a similar article.

Where was bluto's piece? Where was jason(?) burt's? Where was captain picard's? Where was oliver holt's?

Their silence was fucking defeaning.

The irony is that Ogden is a huge manc.

A letter printed in the Irish Daily Mail today

"I'm a lifelong Manchester United fan, but last week was the first time I had attended a game against Liverpool, and I was appalled by the behaviour of the home fans.

The chanting about the Hillsborough Disaster wasn't, as reported, limited to a small minority in the second half, but began before kick off and continued after the game had finished.

This chanting was by a large section of the home supporters all around the stadium, not just at the Stretford End and not limited to adults, either.

A child no older than sitting one row in front of me was chanting 'Murderers!' as soon as any Liverpool attack began. And the lack of coverage of this sort of behaviour in the media is as sickening as the chants.

This behaviour has no place in football and after suffering their own tragedy, United fans should know better. But attitudes will never change while the media gloss over the activities of such large numbers.

The behaviour of the Liverpool fans was almost the polar opposite: yes, a few flares were set off and a few idiots entered the home end but apart from that the only chant the Liverpool fans sang about United was about the seating. I heard no mention of the Munich disaster.

The travelling fans should be commended on their behaviour, not condemned for the actions of a very small number.

I'm not so naive as to think the attitude of football fans can change overnight, but something needs to be done to stamp out this behaviour in football.

The tragedies these clubs have gone through should reach beyond football. I feel very sorry for any of the families of the 96 who were in attendence at that match.

James Reece.

• Upvote 2

A letter printed in the Irish Daily Mail today

"I'm a lifelong Manchester United fan, but last week was the first time I had attended a game against Liverpool, and I was appalled by the behaviour of the home fans.

The chanting about the Hillsborough Disaster wasn't, as reported, limited to a small minority in the second half, but began before kick off and continued after the game had finished.

This chanting was by a large section of the home supporters all around the stadium, not just at the Stretford End and not limited to adults, either.

A child no older than sitting one row in front of me was chanting 'Murderers!' as soon as any Liverpool attack began. And the lack of coverage of this sort of behaviour in the media is as sickening as the chants.

This behaviour has no place in football and after suffering their own tragedy, United fans should know better. But attitudes will never change while the media gloss over the activities of such large numbers.

The behaviour of the Liverpool fans was almost the polar opposite: yes, a few flares were set off and a few idiots entered the home end but apart from that the only chant the Liverpool fans sang about United was about the seating. I heard no mention of the Munich disaster.

The travelling fans should be commended on their behaviour, not condemned for the actions of a very small number.

I'm not so naive as to think the attitude of football fans can change overnight, but something needs to be done to stamp out this behaviour in football.

The tragedies these clubs have gone through should reach beyond football. I feel very sorry for any of the families of the 96 who were in attendence at that match.

James Reece.

Fair play to James Reece if he really is a united fan.

Reading all the stuff in the papers, anyone could be forgiven for thinking it was Liverpool fans singing the illicit chants. I mean until today's develeopment, only we'd been charge over chants.

I could possibly understand a UEFA observer not being up to speed with the chants the united fans sang at Anfield. You wouldnt really expect them to know what 'Always the victim' was going on about. You could also possibly understand them not knowing the context of the 'murders' chant.

But, what with the publicity of those very chants and, UEFA's supposed statement of paying more attention to chanting in the 2nd leg, it simply beggars belief they completely ignored the chants in the 2nd game.

Those chants were audible on tv from the kick off all through the game. There was no 'alleged' chanting as several reports I read claimed. it was there, in your face, all game. neither was it a handful of fans. to be that audible on tv it has to be more than a handful and Id sya getting on for 10,000 plus fans.

If united come out of this unscathed, it will be the biggest cover up since Watergate and an even bigger travestry.

• Upvote 1

The fucking shithouse who has written this still pushing the six of one half a dozen of the other narrative over the chanting when clearly the mancs chants were much more audible, sustained and greater in number than anything that came from our end.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/656874/Liverpool-Fans-Old-Trafford-Manchester-United-Charged-Uefa-Chanting-Europa-League-News

Not sure if accurate, but The Express and The Anfield Wrap are saying that our illicit chanting charge was for singing "Manchester is full of shit."

Absolutely astounding, if true.

Hahahahaha.

Have these UEFA idiots been to Manchester, no I don't mean have they been escorted in to a limo from their flight, been driven to the pit and then half pissed been driven back to the airport. I mean have they actually seen Manchester?

If they had they would see that it is indeed full of shit, shit and more shit.  

• Upvote 1

Just as well nobody said fuck then.

It's Man Utd

It's Liverpool.

In the media and with the Authorities we are the most evil cunts in the history of football, they're all Mother Teresas. It's always been so and is the main reason I've had an implacable hatred for these cunts since about 1960. Contrary to their chants, it's always all about them.

• 5 months later...

I have decided that I'm not going to watch Liverpool-Man Utd games anymore, home or away, or in either of the domestic cups.

I think it is wrong to allow them into Anfield and chant about Hillsborough, I think it's wrong for us to chant about Munich, and I don't want anything to do with either, anymore.

I'm fucking sick of it. It's year on year we get the full repertoire: 'Always the victim', 'Murderers', 'The Sun was right', 'Justice for the 39'. You always hear in the media that it's a vocal minority. Is it shite. Is it a vocal minority when you have 2000-2500 of the twats all stood up, clapping and giving it beans?

Get some microphones around the away end, get some extra cameras, get some extra stewards in there. Start ejecting them, start banning them and start reducing their away allocation. It's an absolute piss take how it's been going on for so long and fuck all is done.

They really are the nation's darlings though. It's fucking sickening. You can bet there won't be a sentence in any of the papers on it tomorrow.

That 'we're Man Utd, we do what we want' song sums them up. Everything is fair game to them and when somebody pulls them up, you see them get indignant and start denying culpability, like when that Duncan Draso dickhead or whatever his name is goes on telly with a straight face to say that 'always the victim' isn't about Hillsborough.

There's no question we have a scum element in our support, but I haven't seen anything to match them. I've been to Old Trafford to watch us play loads of times in the past and it's four corners of the ground giving it Hillsborough chants and asking 'where's your famous Munich song?' before breaking into ironic cheers when the knobheads in our fanbase finally take the bait and start it up with the accompanying aeroplane gestures. I've been going the match for twenty years and I'm yet to hear a Munich song sung inside Anfield. It sums it up when even Munich is used as a means of goading a reaction and as I said, it's all seen as fair game to them.

They're just the most loathsome supporters going. Frankly, I don't care if we look petty, I'm sick of having to hear to their shite every single season without fail and we have to start getting militant on the cunts now. It's an absolute piss take.

Is right.