You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wigan(H) Match Thread

LFC 6 Times

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed today- just back!

Seven match unbeaten league run, a clean sheet, Brendan triumphing in what KK and Raf found a tricky fixture, and his ongoing ability to get the best out of Luis and Enrrique are all reasons to be cheerful.

Come on you Reds!

Going into the second half you could almost cut the 'fucking hell here we go again' atmosphere, but fair play to the lads and the fans - a goal really can change the face of a game. I won't get carried away with this win, just as much as I haven't been too unduly worried with some of our less enamoring performances. A hell of a lot of football to be played yet, but, as mentioned, unbeaten in 7 and perhaps, the worm may just be turning.

I've never liked singling out individual players as I believe you win and lose as a team, but! Luis is mustard, worth the entrance fee alone, the best player in the league at the moment by a mile. We just need to get two or three more players around him on his wave length. Or get the ones we've got to start thinking like him.

Like a lot of others, I've barely watched MOTD in the last 3 years. Partly because it's gone way downhill but more because I hate watching it if we haven't won.

I was looking forward to watching it tonight given a good day all round, and guess what? We're on last:

Match of the Day ‏@BBCMOTD

Running order: Asnl/Spurs, Norw/Man U, WBA/Chel, Man C/Villa, QPR/Soton, Read/Ever, Newc/Swan, Liver/Wigan

Granted, all the games today have something of interest and there's no 0-0 draw to tuck away at the end of the programme but it's just typical isn't it?

Like a lot of others, I've barely watched MOTD in the last 3 years. Partly because it's gone way downhill but more because I hate watching it if we haven't won.

I was looking forward to watching it tonight given a good day all round, and guess what? We're on last:

Running order: Asnl/Spurs, Norw/Man U, WBA/Chel, Man C/Villa, QPR/Soton, Read/Ever, Newc/Swan, Liver/Wigan

Granted, all the games today have something of interest and there's no 0-0 draw to tuck away at the end of the programme but it's just typical isn't it?

At least there's a reason to watch the whole programme, I usually turn it off when all that's left is shite like Fulham, QPR & Everton, etc

Great result, second half performance very promising. Luis is hitting great form, and knuckling under to get away from the play acting - very impressive. Anybody know why Suso went off? I thought he was having a good game, and I'm not convinced Henderson brought more to the party.

GREAT RESULT for WEST BROM, fucking over the Chelsea shite - extremely pleased for Steve Clarke. Respect.

[

Suarez seems to want to make anyone who doubted him look like massive cunts on a weekly basis.

Enrique also justified his inclusion with another very good display.

Unsure about the Suso swit ch, but if it was tactical fine. It worked. And Susows terri me in his last couple of games. Henderson is shit, but he played alright and is a better option than Suso on current form

Well done Liverpool and Rodgers

1242802948_animals_yawning.gif

Change the record before you start sounding like Code

I don't see why people are defending the Suarez challenge. In real time it didn't look like much' date=' but it was a fucking horrible attempt at a tackle when you watch the replay. If he had seen red no one could have any complaints.[/quote']

It was late.. I may be biased, but figueroa's challenge was no better.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We clearly had more possession than Wigan, including in the first half. It'll see us well over the next few seasons. We'll have control of the football and, if Rodgers buys right, the quality up front to shred teams apart.

It was late.. I may be biased, but figueroa's challenge was no better.

Indeed. It was a late, or mistimed challenge that should have been a yellow, but in real time it looked like he'd won the ball. It was never a red (and that is without the rose-tints on). And yes, Figueroa's was shin-high, much worse and much more dangerous, yet no mention.

One other thing to note: the Sterling challenge that resulted in Watson's broken leg was an absolute non-event. It recieved nothing but confused assessment at the time, e.g: "It looks like a clash of heads...Watson looks like he may have injured his arm....Watson may have strained his thigh...It looks like he may have hurt his knee on the way down..." They simply didnt know what the hell had happened because it looked like nothing.

Match of the day commentary on the other hand, made it into an 'incident'. "Oh Sterling has gone in on Watson there and that looks serious!" or words to that effect. That's not how it was at all. Nice glamming-up BBC, nice.

To be fair, in this day and age of on demand viewing, it's a bit old fashioned of the directors to keep a "big draw for viewers" (which we still are) to the end to keep the ratings up.

To be fair, in this day and age of on demand viewing, it's a bit old fashioned of the directors to keep a "big draw for viewers" (which we still are) to the end to keep the ratings up.
They billed it as one of those episodes where every game was a classic, but i thought it was quite drab to be honest. Maybe it was just the way they edited their highlights.

Indeed. It was a late, or mistimed challenge that should have been a yellow, but in real time it looked like he'd won the ball. It was never a red (and that is without the rose-tints on). And yes, Figueroa's was shin-high, much worse and much more dangerous, yet no mention.

One other thing to note: the Sterling challenge that resulted in Watson's broken leg was an absolute non-event. It recieved nothing but confused assessment at the time, e.g: "It looks like a clash of heads...Watson looks like he may have injured his arm....Watson may have strained his thigh...It looks like he may have hurt his knee on the way down..." They simply didnt know what the hell had happened because it looked like nothing.

Match of the day commentary on the other hand, made it into an 'incident'. "Oh Sterling has gone in on Watson there and that looks serious!" or words to that effect. That's not how it was at all. Nice glamming-up BBC, nice.

I don't know why your surprised mate. Its a weekly occurrence now, someone sits there like a hawk waiting for anything, no matter how small, we do wrong so it can be made into an issue. If it involved Suarez i can imagine they sit there licking their lips and rubbing their hands together whilst typing away. The Stoke game is the perfect example. Huth's stamp... virtually nothing said by anyone. Suarez's dive... the world up in arms baying for a lifetime ban. Its fucking pathetic.

I expect no report whatsoever in any media outlet about Figueroa's tackle, i expect every paper and SSN to talk about nothing but Suarez's tackle till atleast wednesday.

poor first half but worked out very well in the end.

has BR solved the problem of GJ pushing too far forward by playing enrique in front of him who has the pace to get back to cover and can also double up on their winger if necessary. This wouldn't work if Enrique wasn't offering anything in attack but he proved yesterday he can create and score. He was twice in on top of the keeper looking to pounce and he scored the 2nd time.

on the other flank wisdom and sterling seem to be complimenting each other well also. wisdom is solid as a rock at right back and allows sterling to get on with doing what he does best - attacking. not to say sterling doesn't track back because he does but the more wisdom plays the better he gets and he even offered a bit more in attack yesterday. even at half time yesterday I was still calling for wisdom to be replaced by someone more attacking but then I looked at the bench and realised our only "winger" was Dough Cole. we were patient and we got our reward when Sterling and Suarez punished the left backs mistake.

And has BR also found the answer in centre midfield? he's tried allen and sahin, allen and gerrard, allen and shelvey but the problem has been not getting gerrard into that advanced role or when he is there not being able to find him. I saw Henderson half stripped and warming up from early on and I was trying to guess who he was going to replace. I thought maybe allen was injured or sterling who didn't seem at it but I was surprised to see it was suso. he'd been our best player even though he'd missed a great chance with his head. The move worked though and I'd like to see us stick with that team now for the next few games if possible to see how that goes.

final word on suarez who wasn't at his absolute spellbinding brilliant best yesterday but I'll take a couple of great finishes over him being a showman in every game for the rest of the season.

Last week's shocker by RVP on Sagna was not even shown on MOTD. Agenda much ?