You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've been a good few times. My aunt and uncle lived out there for 20 years, so we got to go out and visit them every so often (94, 98, 04, 06, 08). I can't really offer you any advice with hotels and where to stay, as we always stayed in their place, but if you get something booked, I'll gladly give you a rundown on a few things that we enjoyed doing. I'd say it has changed a lot since we were there four years ago, it's that type of place!

It's sort of dying on it's arse at the moment too. Abu Dhabi is the cool place to be seen nowadays.

I live in Dubai.

If you're planning on coming in the summer, you can stay in 5* hotels for about £100 a night, however be aware that the temperature will be pushing 50C, so you can't sit around at the pool for very long before wishing you were dead.

Best places to stay would be at the Marina or JBR beach as there are loads of restaurants, bars etc nearby.

Remember to check that you don't arrive during Ramadan as you can't get a drink before half seven at night.

Stayed in the Mina A Salam for 4 nights and The Burn for 1 on our honeymoon a few years back. Couldn't fault either place tbh, but they're not quite budget accommodation. Don't think we could afford to go back to either place, unless they're proper fucked at this stage.

• 8 months later...

Norwegian woman who reported being raped in Dubai is jailed for 16 months | Mail Online

A young Norwegian woman has been sentenced to 16 months in jail after she reported a rape in Dubai.

The 25-year-old was in the United Arab Emirates on a business trip when she was raped and reported the assault to the local police.

Dubai police did not believe her, and instead took her passport and jailed her on suspicion of having had sex outside marriage.

The Norwegian woman reported the sexual assault in March this year, after which she had to spend days in a cell before she was allowed to use a telephone.

With the help of family members, the Norwegian consulate was able to negotiate a release and she has been living under the protection of the Norwegian Sailor’s Church until her sentencing this week.

'I received the harshest sentence for sex outside marriage, harshest sentence for drinking alcohol and on top of that I was found guilty of perjury,’ the woman told Verdens Gang.

‘It is a terrible situation she is in,’ said Gisle Meling, the priest at the Norwegian Sailor’s Church.

‘We are very surprised and had hoped it would go another way, but we live in a country which has a justice system which draws its conclusions with the help of Sharia law.’

She was sentenced to one year and four months in jail but as Norway has no extradition treaty with Dubai, her future is uncertain.

The young Norwegian woman's story is not unique.

Earlier this year Australian Alicia Gali, 27, spoke of how she was thrown in a Dubai jail for eight months after she reported a rape.

Miss Gali was working at hotel chain Starwood when her drink was spiked in the staff bar.

She awoke to find that three colleagues had raped her, but when she went to a hospital for help, they turned her over to the police and she was charged with illicit sex outside marriage.

Under UAE law, rapists can only be convicted if either the perpetrator confesses or if four adult Muslim males witness the crime.

Under the Sharia-influenced laws, sex before marriage is completely forbidden and an unmarried couple holding hands in public can be jailed.

Foreigners jailed in Dubai are deported immediately after completing their sentences.

I honestly can't understand why people would want to live out there. I get the no tax bit but the risks are just massive.

I'm no expert on the middle east but a couple of mates do business out there and the UAE isn't that risky - it's a major holiday destination after all - places like Saudi are hated by my mates though - the toilet stories do my head in - the dirty fuckers don't use toilet roll they use a hose. So you walk in the loo for a piss only to find yourself being rained on with shitty water because someone's cleaning their dirty arse with a hose and spraying it over their cubicle on everyone else.

Also you'd get a car & driver from the hotel for the day if you were travelling about a bit in Saudi for security reasons unlike UAE where you'd just hail a cab.

Dubai's a great place to visit, been there a few times and absolutely loved it. Very sad story about the Norwegian woman but I don't recall any other incident like this so would be unfair to say Dubai is a nasty place on the back of this incident, when tens of thousands of people visit there every year without problems. I stayed at the Grosevnor House hotel on my last visit, was pricey but you get what you pay for, pure luxury.

Went in 2007 as the first leg Of my honeymoon, stayed in the Jumeriah beach hotel, the one that looks like a big blue wave. Very good customer service and loved the view from the hotel towards the Burj al Arab. Did the jeep tour and night safari, a trip to Oman and various shopping trips. The wild wadi water park was closed when I was there due to Ramadan.

Very sad story about the Norwegian woman but I don't recall any other incident like this

A similar incident is mentioned in the linked article.

so would be unfair to say Dubai is a nasty place on the back of this incident

Correct, it would be fair to say that it's a nasty place on the back of the entire catalogue of human rights abuses that are perpetrated there.

Getting arrested, tortured and banged up on fake drug charges, raped and locked up if you are a women, arrested for necking in cab. You know, those kind of risks.

I saw plenty of risks being taken in the Grosvenor House Hotel night club the night I was there.