You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

Personally, I'd like Ancelotti

Not many want Rafa

Everyone seems to know Sabella inside out - strange that, as 3 days ago, I doubt many knew who he was. Wikipedia eh?

Some seem hell bent there's a Pep masterplan. Either they or I am deluded, and it's not me.

A few want Viera to the end of the season, and possibly full time.

Ancelotti seems a sensible choice, good track record, and likely to be a big enough name to attract top players (shocking state of football when a 'name' makes the difference)

As for young players coming through? I can't see it. Not until we can win a league with plenty in reserve (ie. able to 'carry' a young player in games). Until then, every manager's job is on the line, and none will have (or be given) time for bringing through youth. I think it's a common symptom at many clubs, but worse at clubs, but some clubs don't have the money to buy their way out of trouble, so bring through youth out of necessity. Fans don't help either. They shout about bringing young lads through, but a few bad results and the manager's deemed a moron for tossing in a young player at the deepend etc.

I think most players are mercenaries regardless of club. I don't really mind that, as long as they do what they are paid to do. When they stop doing that... it's another issue.

There's a few at City putting in an effort, just far too many who aren't.

Agree yesterday was very bad for both City and Liverpool, and indeed for everybody. I don't suppose you can kill a giant overnight, and we should expect them to take a few punches and get back up, but really, they need to stay down for a good while. I'm not a rabid United hater like many, I just think they've had more than a good run, and if there was any sort of football god at all (awaits Fowler comments), he'd put them to sleep for 20 years.

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tim-sherwood-replies-to-sixyearold-aston-villa-fan-who-applied-for-managerial-job-10173894.html

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood has replied to a six-year-old fan who he beat to the vacant managerial job at Villa Park.

Earlier this season Charlie Pye wrote to the club's chief executive, Tom Fox, to apply for the job after the departure of Paul Lambert.

Unfortunately for young Charlie, Villa opted to appoint the slightly more experienced Sherwood, who has picked up 13 points in nine matches since being appointed.

"I think my team talks would be very good and my tactics would be excellent," said Charlie in his initial letter, published on the Aston Villa website.

"We need to stop the goals by getting in the way. We need to score more by shooting on target. This is a winning formula, so my dad says.

"As for payment on taking the job, all I ask is for a signed claret and blue football, a WWE wrestling figure and some sweets. As a win bonus each week, I would want a Twix.

"I would appoint my mum and dad as assistant managers so they can drive me to the training ground each day. My mum is also very good at making bacon sandwiches for the players if that helps.

"If I am successful, I would also need you to tell my school that I don't need to attend anymore as I have a job."

Charlie (pictured above, via the club website) didn't get the job but former Tottenham manager Sherwood surprised the youngster by responding to him - and even stating that he was "very close" to getting it.

"From your letter it is clear to see that you would indeed be an ideal candidate for the job due to your knowledge of the game - and your very capable backroom staff, of course!" wrote Sherwood.

"Hopefully you're not too disappointed at missing out and I'm informed that I just managed to pip you to the post so you were very close to being offered the job.

"Our chief executive Tom Fox has informed me that the club would like your permission to keep the letter on file 'just in case' - although I'm hoping I will be successful at this great football club. I will certainly be aiming to make you and all the other supporters happy.

"In terms of your football career, I want to wish Norton Lindsey every success this season. Well done on being appointed captain. I was a captain during my own playing career - it's a special honour."

Charlie told the club website: "I never expected a letter from the manager but I was absolutely delighted to get one.

"What he wrote was brilliant - it meant a lot to me. Even the stuff about congratulating me on being a captain was really special.

"I was really happy when he got the job because of his passion and I love him even more now. I think he will do brilliantly for the Villa. He already is!"

Nah, that kid is everything that's wrong with English managers, he's got no experience and wants to get his badges later. He's not even been interviewed and he's already brokering his win bonus and getting cushy jobs for his family.

I'd have preferred it if Tim tore him off a strip. "What's that, you want my facking job and a Twix, well here's two fingers for you!"

Can't see Real Madrid getting rid of Ancelotti even if they are trigger happy with their sacking's. He's 2 points off Barca, they are still in the champions league. Who would they replace him with? Simeone wouldn't join Atletico's fiercest rivals, Pep would never join them and Mourinho is happy at Chelsea. Ancelotti is leaps and bounds above all the other candidates.

I have a feeling City will go for Rodgers in the summer, he fits their ethos with Txiki Begiristain and the like at the club. It would be in fitting with the organic growth bullshit about building a safe sustainable future at City and his easy on the eye style of play is very similar to what they are trying to work towards behind the scenes. Could definitely see that happening.

Can't see Real Madrid getting rid of Ancelotti even if they are trigger happy with their sacking's. He's 2 points off Barca, they are still in the champions league. Who would they replace him with? Simeone wouldn't join Atletico's fiercest rivals, Pep would never join them and Mourinho is happy at Chelsea. Ancelotti is leaps and bounds above all the other candidates.

I have a feeling City will go for Rodgers in the summer, he fits their ethos with Txiki Begiristain and the like at the club. It would be in fitting with the organic growth bullshit about building a safe sustainable future at City and his easy on the eye style of play is very similar to what they are trying to work towards behind the scenes. Could definitely see that happening.

Can't see City going for Rodgers, personally. They're desperate to make a splash in the CL, plus Bergiristain may follow Pellegrini out the door as the shaping of that squad has made us look vaguely competent.

City will go for the likes of Simeone or Klopp, people who've overachieved on smaller budgets and are itching to see what they could do with gazillions. Rodgers will need a few more years and several more trophies before he's in that bracket, and City won't afford him the time to continue learning on the job.

Can't see City going for Rodgers, personally. They're desperate to make a splash in the CL, plus Bergiristain may follow Pellegrini out the door as the shaping of that squad has made us look vaguely competent.

City will go for the likes of Simeone or Klopp, people who've overachieved on smaller budgets and are itching to see what they could do with gazillions. Rodgers will need a few more years and several more trophies before he's in that bracket, and City won't afford him the time to continue learning on the job.

Have I missed some of his trophies ?