You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pleased with that, couldn't be anymore contrast from last week

defence untroubled, Stevie pulling the strings, Downing showed more balls than he did last year just needed to be involved a bit more and get a better final ball, Suarez absolutely brilliant just a bit gutted he didn't score, and Borini very lively and threatening as well as looking to link up with Stevie and Luis, pleased with his goal as well, exactly what we missed last year someone to just smack it in when it falls to him in the box and what a goal from Johnson!

more of the same please

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That Gerrard interview might of thrown abit of light on the Agger situation.

The way Gerrard replied to be asked about Agger certainly made it sound as if it is the owners who want or are tempted to sell him.

True, but the manager has said he's not forced to sell Agger (or anybody). Maybe they're in agreement.

True, but the manager has said he's not forced to sell Agger (or anybody). Maybe they're in agreement.

theres not a decent manager in the world who wouldn't want Agger at his club, especially in a squad that already desperately needs more quality and he'll be even better than ever in BR's style imo

Very enjoyable game tonight.

I thought the team looked cohesive and Gerrard, Suarez and Borini all worked very well together. I was impressed with Borini, both in his work rate and his willingness to make himself available. His crossing is pretty decent too. If we could get somebody in to improve on Downing we have a very lively attack.

Lucas looks to have started were he was forced to leave off, and was a very impressive shield in front of the back four. Shelvey was lively but still a bit raw, and if Allen comes in and takes that role then I think the spine of the team is good.

Skrtel and Agger were, well Skrtel and Agger, and that's why personally I'd keep them. They are a great base for that spine.

I thought both Johnson and Enrique played well, with Enrique improving dramatically over his performances over the last few months.

All in all a very good start to the home season, and a well done to Rodgers and the team.

Just a couple of things that occurred were noteworthy. There was a very lukewarm attempt at a Dalglish chant on the Kop that most people didn't join in with out of, I think, a sense of respect for Rodgers. However, there was no Rodgers chant in evidence either.

There were quite pointed chants from virtually the whole Kop in support of Agger, particularly "Agger's going nowhere." Although it wasn't vocal like the support for Agger, on the two occasions Carroll warmed up in front of the Kop he was cheered and received a standing ovation from virtually the whole Kop - other players warming up apart from Carragher did not get similar treatment.

I thought the team looked cohesive and Gerrard, Suarez and Borini all worked very well together. I was impressed with Borini, both in his work rate and his willingness to make himself available. His crossing is pretty decent too. If we could get somebody in to improve on Downing we have a very lively attack.

Lucas looks to have started were he was forced to leave off, and was a very impressive shield in front of the back four. Shelvey was lively but still a bit raw, and if Allen comes in and takes that role then I think the spine of the team is good.

Skrtel and Agger were, well Skrtel and Agger, and that's why personally I'd keep them. They are a great base for that spine.

I thought both Johnson and Enrique played well, with Enrique improving dramatically over his performances over the last few months.

All in all a very good start to the home season, and a well done to Rodgers and the team.

Just a couple of things that occurred were noteworthy. There was a very lukewarm attempt at a Dalglish chant on the Kop that most people didn't join in with out of, I think, a sense of respect for Rodgers. However, there was no Rodgers chant in evidence either.

There were quite pointed chants from virtually the whole Kop in support of Agger, particularly "Agger's going nowhere." Although it wasn't vocal like the support for Agger, on the two occasions Carroll warmed up in front of the Kop he was cheered and received a standing ovation from virtually the whole Kop - other players warming up apart from Carragher did not get similar treatment.

Good post, mate Pretty much my feelings on everything. Although I do think a lot of people were aware the 'Dalglish' chant wasn't disrespectful as we'll still be singing that in 100 years time and to be fair to Rodgers, he hasn't got a name that fits well into a song! Give it time though.

Really liked the set-up also and I think it's pretty easy to see where Joe Allen will fit in. If anything comes with the Dempsey link, I could see him taking Downing's spot in the starting line-up with him, Borini and Gerrard playing narrow in behind Suarez with the width coming from the full backs.

Indeed that was enjoyable!

Borini looked very good. I can't wait to watch him and Suarez in the Premier League. I would have liked to see Carroll as well but.... I'm delighted to see Lucas Leiva Pezzini back, we missed so badly his presence and his silk passes around the pitch.

I agree about the need to add a winger. I'm not sure what happened to that Downing fella, he looked a tidy winger at Villa, his passing was decent. Not sure what happened to him, I hope Rodgers helps him to get back to his best.

The opposition was weak but you can tell the defence is sorted, they understand each other and they are pretty confident.

Very early days but from my vantage point in the Kop I think we have a real find in Borini and I can see exactly why Allen is the next player through the door.

First off let's talk about Borini, he showed a touch, vision, unselfish play and yet with a striker's instinct and work rate. It really isn't hard to see what Rodgers likes about the lad and if that's the kind of attitude and talent he's looking to bring in then I'm more than happy. He took his goal very well and it would have been easy to miss kick or try too much but he controlled the ball with a cushioned volley low and hard under the keeper.

If there was one glaring weakness in our side it was the gaping hole left in midfield when Shelvey went into the middle and Lucas dropped back to his more familiar role. The game passed Shelvey by, he didn't look comfortable being closed down and having less time and space and was by and large very much found out by an average albeit hard working side.

Rodgers can clearly see that there isn't a player with the work rate, speed both of thought and to close down a man that is necessary to play a 3 man midfield and that's why we're getting Joe Allen. He is a massive step up from all players in that position (aka Spearing, Shelvey and Adam) and will fit this system like a glove, I can't wait to see him in our midfield after tonight. Shelvey has some raw potential but it is very raw and his best bet at making our side I believe is in a Xabi Alonso-esque role but he needs to be tidier on the ball and improve his tackling obviously or there is no place for him.

Downing was alright tonight, he didn't do much wrong or right and he put in a decent shift but next to two players like Borini and Suarez who exuded class he was made to look very ordinary. If we can get another player with the same kind of attributes as those two with a left foot to play in the position Downing occupied tonight we'd really be in business.

All in all it is as I forcasted not the disaster people think it is. Yes there are sterner tests to come but I think anyone who was watching us tonight knows that the fundementals, the attitude and that touch of magic is there. Allen will make a massive difference and so would an attacker on the right of the class of Miralles or Ramirez or someone similar but it's early days and I for one am happy with how we've started.

Didn't see the game, Anubis, but you've clued me up in your inimitable style. That's why they pay you the big bucks at the top of the rep chart.

Am especially heartened by your last paragraph. Going by that, I like where the Kop's head is at, and that's good for business. The business of football, I mean... the only business that counts.