You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

• 2 weeks later...

Estimated calorie burn after a six mile (hilly) run lasting 59mins is only 381?!

That can't be right even with some stops. Should be around 500/600, at least.

Yes, the calorie counter has gone a bit fucked since the last update. I'm hoping they'll fix it in the next release.

The bits I walked should be pretty obvious

CCF6C86C-E5ED-4112-9B55-53E7EF4B0253_zps

• 1 month later...

Having a big of trouble here and some may be able to help, doctors and physios that you all are..

Been running quite regularly for a while now, not long distance but frequent (for me). Most of last year I was doing about 2 miles at least 2/3 times a week but this year I have increased it to just over four miles and got through January and February with no incident and found doing the extra distance getting easier and quicker.

However one run in March I pulled my right calf mid run, managed to carry on albeit off my usual pace, had a couple of days feeling pain before it went away, I put it down to not stretching enough so before my runs I've made a conscious note to ensure I warmed up before runs particularly my right calf. Now it keeps pulling resulting in me being unable to run for days and when I do manage to get out I'm feeling it each time (always around the same distance, about 1 to 1.5 miles in) resulting having days of rest and only getting out once a week if I'm lucky.

Anyone else have or had similar problems or getting into my 40's am I just getting old?! I play seven a side once a week and also do regular road and mountain biking with no issues.

• 1 month later...

It wasn't an effort to break any record because they knew the timings they used would make it ineligible.  He is an incredible athlete, but taking a guy who was probably capable of breaking the world record out of competition for a publicity stunt just seems a little dubious.

These brands are not exactly well known for their scruples.

It wasn't an effort to break any record because they knew the timings they used would make it ineligible.  He is an incredible athlete, but taking a guy who was probably capable of breaking the world record out of competition for a publicity stunt just seems a little dubious.

These brands are not exactly well known for their scruples.

I wonder what Roger Bannister thinks?

We're all entitled to our opinions of course.

Having a big of trouble here and some may be able to help, doctors and physios that you all are..

Been running quite regularly for a while now, not long distance but frequent (for me). Most of last year I was doing about 2 miles at least 2/3 times a week but this year I have increased it to just over four miles and got through January and February with no incident and found doing the extra distance getting easier and quicker.

However one run in March I pulled my right calf mid run, managed to carry on albeit off my usual pace, had a couple of days feeling pain before it went away, I put it down to not stretching enough so before my runs I've made a conscious note to ensure I warmed up before runs particularly my right calf. Now it keeps pulling resulting in me being unable to run for days and when I do manage to get out I'm feeling it each time (always around the same distance, about 1 to 1.5 miles in) resulting having days of rest and only getting out once a week if I'm lucky.

Anyone else have or had similar problems or getting into my 40's am I just getting old?! I play seven a side once a week and also do regular road and mountain biking with no issues.

I would get it checked by a physio. I had similar, it felt like a golf ball in my calf once I got warmed up. It was old scar tissue from the initial injury and the blood struggled to flow through it (obviously I am not a doctor). The physio basically massaged the blockage out of the calf and all was good. 

I still get it occasionally, but I now stretch after every run (all muscles are warm) and use a foam roller when I fell it is necessary.

• Upvote 1

I am anti Nike, but reading bout the sub 2 hour attempt also left a bad taste in my mouth and I feel happy they did not achieve it.

Why?

Good runner gets paid to run and break a huge barrier. It's like the 4 min mile, once thought impossible now done regularly.

Maybe I need educating in the politics of running but it's a fucking brilliant achievement.

I also believe it is a brilliant achievement, but I believe athletics is a competitive sport with certain requirements to be met. Withdrawing from two of the Worlds biggest marathons to focus on a time that will not be recognised by the governing body, in a totally artificial environment, is not the way to achieve, in my opinion. 

No doubt taking lots of performance enhancing drugs would help someone go sub 2 hours, but this is not allowed. That run was doping by another means, again in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

I would get it checked by a physio. I had similar, it felt like a golf ball in my calf once I got warmed up. It was old scar tissue from the initial injury and the blood struggled to flow through it (obviously I am not a doctor). The physio basically massaged the blockage out of the calf and all was good.

I still get it occasionally, but I now stretch after every run (all muscles are warm) and use a foam roller when I fell it is necessary.

I've recently bought some calf compression sleeves and they have seemed to have done the trick so far, touch wood.

I also believe it is a brilliant achievement, but I believe athletics is a competitive sport with certain requirements to be met. Withdrawing from two of the Worlds biggest marathons to focus on a time that will not be recognised by the governing body, in a totally artificial environment, is not the way to achieve, in my opinion.

No doubt taking lots of performance enhancing drugs would help someone go sub 2 hours, but this is not allowed. That run was doping by another means, again in my opinion.

What? I must be missing a fucking huge point here.

We've got a man who is paid to run, who decides it's in his interests to run for more money (and the eternal prestige) by being the first sub 2hr marathon runner.

He then runs it almost perfectly at a pace no human has ever achieved before and (this is my forth choice) some people on the internet doubt his integrity.

You fuckers have a high fucking bar.

I haven't mentioned the money he was paid or his integrity. 

I said the Run (because it was not a race) was doping by another name and I stand by that.

The bar is a fair race and it appears all the Athletic bodies have the same bar, hence why the time would not be recognised.

As an aside;

http://running.competitor.com/2011/04/news/boston-course-ruled-not-eligible-for-world-record_26135

Boston Course Ruled Not Eligible For World Record

In an effort to follow up immediately on the matter, the B.A.A. has now had the opportunity to review with the IAAF the performance of Geoffrey Mutai in the 2011 Boston Marathon, in which Mr. Mutai’s time of 2:03:02 was the fastest ever recorded over the marathon distance. Mr. Mutai’s performance is not eligible to be recognized as a world record under IAAF standards due to the point to point nature of the Boston course and the fact that there is a net loss in elevation over the Bostoncourse that exceeds IAAF limits. IAAF standards in this regard were established in 1990.

I haven't mentioned the money he was paid or his integrity.

The bar is a fair race and it appears all the Athletic bodies have the same bar, hence why the time would not be recognised.

As an aside;

http://running.competitor.com/2011/04/news/boston-course-ruled-not-eligible-for-world-record_26135

Boston Course Ruled Not Eligible For World Record

I'm none the wiser, you compare this set up as equivalent to doping. Seriously? How the fuck can you say you haven't questioned his integrity?

This place is fucking mental.