You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Podcasts

chorlton

8 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm really enjoying this and watching the series again inline with listening in. It's nothing amazing, but easy listening, quite funny and occasionally very insightful.

I watched the first couple of episodes on YouTube and can't say I really enjoyed it. Bobby interrupting Chris all the time and they digress a bit too much away from the show at times. It would be much better if they edited it down by at least half. 

Having said all that I'll definitely be giving it another go at some point when they have found their rhythm and subjects. I suppose it's hard for Bobby talking about episodes before he was hired. 

It may have been mentioned, but Under the cosh is a great podcast. Got Jon Parkin and Chris Wood who are both ex journeymen and some other guy interviewing an ex pro, usually seen as a journeyman. Got into it after hearing the Jon Otsemobor one. Great listen that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, belarus said:

It may have been mentioned, but Under the cosh is a great podcast. Got Jon Parkin and Chris Wood who are both ex journeymen and some other guy interviewing an ex pro, usually seen as a journeyman. Got into it after hearing the Jon Otsemobor one. Great listen that.

Bullet bum

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Remmie said:

I watched the first couple of episodes on YouTube and can't say I really enjoyed it. Bobby interrupting Chris all the time and they digress a bit too much away from the show at times. It would be much better if they edited it down by at least half. 

Having said all that I'll definitely be giving it another go at some point when they have found their rhythm and subjects. I suppose it's hard for Bobby talking about episodes before he was hired. 

The episodes are now a lot longer, but they have guests now too. I think it will get better and better as they find out what works and what doesn't. Bobby calling Ellen De Generes a cunt was my highlight so far!

I wouldn't watch it like, but as a listen when driving it's sound.

On 13/08/2020 at 22:22, belarus said:

Just to bang the drum on this again, I’ve just listened to the Tony Warner one - fucking mental how he ended up as our number 2 for 5 years!

Decent lad - enjoyable listen that.

The Leon Knight one is funny - can see why he rubbed people up the wrong way like, but it’s a great listen.

James Acaster has a podcast on which he argues, tongue slightly in cheek, that 2016 is the greatest year for music, ever. He had a breakdown in 2017 and bought and listened to 600+ albums from 2016 to help himself cope. On each episode of the podcast he invites someone on to discuss one of those albums in detail. I plan to pick out ones I'm interested in and then listen to the album afterwards.

I started with a favourite artist of mine, Bon Iver and his album 22, A Million and his guest Nish Kumar. It was really enjoyable and Acaster comes across as an enthusiastic music nerd, without being droll. I'll be sticking with it.

I'm also enjoying cherry picking episodes from the Gimlet Media team, particularly Heavyweight and Reply-all.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

What's everyone's opinion of Joey Diaz, he has his own podcast but most people know him from being on JRE. He's entertaining but definitely full of shit, he's like the Tony Soprano version of Jay from The Inbetweeners.

I never listen to the JR episodes he’s on. 

8 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Listened to the Kriss Akabusi episode of at home with Colin Murray. 

Reminded me a lot of Ian Wright, massive media ‘persona’ but loads of shit going on behind the scenes and a very vulnerable bloke. 

His story on adoption is a fucking tearer man. I can only admire what he has achieved. 
me and the missus were looking into adoption for a while and his story choked me every time.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

His story on adoption is a fucking tearer man. I can only admire what he has achieved. 
me and the missus were looking into adoption for a while and his story choked me every time.

I was balling my eyes out listening to him, no wonder he’s struggled with relationships and intimacy. 

• Upvote 1

Excuse the *f on the gf. 

I’ve been listening to the Guardian’s Forgotten Stories of F**tball and recently listened to the Luton Town Manager Idol episode. 

I’d never heard of the story at the time but it was fucking batshit crazy! There was also a BBC documentary about the new owner at the time. 

Both fascinating and fucking scary at the same time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2020 at 12:29, lifetime fan said:

Listened to the Kriss Akabusi episode of at home with Colin Murray. 

Reminded me a lot of Ian Wright, massive media ‘persona’ but loads of shit going on behind the scenes and a very vulnerable bloke. 

Just got into this podcast, some great interviews. Genuinely seems like a top bloke Akabusi, that laugh is enough to brighten anyone's day.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if I've mentioned it previously but I love the Turned Out a Punk podcast. Hosted by the singer from Fucked Up, basically big, nerdy deep dive conversations about how people have been influenced by punk/hardcore. 

Usually members of punk bands (got some big hitters on there Fat Mike, Lars, Milo, Jesse Michaels for a start) but also people who've just been influenced by it (quite a lot of wrestlers which I'm less interested in - listened to Lita's one though)

Anyway he's got Talib Kweli on this week. Which is pretty damn great. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Where is George Gibney? 

Irish Olympic swimming coach is charged with 27 counts of sexual abuse on young swimmers he coached. 

Only he disappeared before he could be tried and has been missing for over 25 years. 

Fascinating and fucked up in equal measure. 

Expert on the breast stroke by all accounts.

• 2 weeks later...