You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Shelvey will replace Stevie in the side in time. It's too tall an order to ask him to be the player Stevie has been as that's not fair to expect, but that's the progression I see. I mentioned this in another thread, but I suspect Henderson will take up the Xabi role - not as classy, but he knows how to find his man with the ball and keep it moving; while Lucas arguably is already every bit as good a defensive midfielder as Mascherano (injury notwithstanding).

I feel this is the new midfield generation that is emerging. We need one more class midfielder to be signed though, as Adam is not it, and Spearing is a squad man.

Duncan Goodhew (showing my age there) is alright though. The boy can play.

Decent prospect but definitely no gerrard and unfair on him to put that tag on him. The potential to be a good midfielder is there, just hope he fulfills it. Too many young English footballers lack discipline and after a few good games think they have made it and stop making the effort.. I guess its because we pay them too much at a young age. Foreign youngsters abroad seem more disciplined.

I would see it differently, not a single one of those players is near what Shelvey is now at 20 - they are all Championship level - Shelvey was at that level a couple of years ago. For me, there is a reason those players never got a run and Jonjo is.

If you are right then we have to ask what the Academy was doing? Clearly they were failing to deliver players of anything like the quality needed.

I'm not convinced that Shelvey is doing enough to justify his tag as the new Gerrard/Lampard/Zico/Zidane. Maybe he will get better and prove me wrong - I really hope he does. But this all feels a little desperate that we are building him up in this way.

If he was that good why did we even buy Henderson? And why not ship Spearing off to Blackpool at the start of the season instead?

I think Shelvey will replace Stevie in the side in time. It's too tall an order to ask him to be the player Stevie has been as that's not fair to expect, but that's the progression I see. I mentioned this in another thread, but I suspect Henderson will take up the Xabi role - not as classy, but he knows how to find his man with the ball and keep it moving; while Lucas arguably is already every bit as good a defensive midfielder as Mascherano (injury notwithstanding).

I feel this is the new midfield generation that is emerging. We need one more class midfielder to be signed though, as Adam is not it, and Spearing is a squad man.

Duncan Goodhew (showing my age there) is alright though. The boy can play.

You are assuming we will play with 3 in the middle. If kenny is here I doubt it will be the case.

Id get rid of Adam and spearing they aren't good enough.

23955453.jpg

from a while back but not sure how he ended up there alongside the likes of kaka, llorente

also martin kelly in a recent interview said that if he could be someone for a day then it would be jonjo shelvey. baldy is a boss

The video (from that image) of Kaka, RVP and little Jonjo from an adidas launch last year. The paintball game at the end is pretty funny