You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I really dont get the 'we should have signed an attacker before Joe Allen' opinion, our midfield was dreadful last year & Rodgers wants 3 in the middle,so we needed someone else desperately, i dont want to be relying on Jay anymore. The midfield is integral to Rodgers philosophy & hes sorted it (hopefully) We will be getting someone else up top anyway, does it really matter what order they come in?

not a reliable source, to say the least, but it is nice to dream

West Ham to Launch £6m Bid for Liverpool Midfielder Joe Cole | CaughtOffside

West Ham to Launch £6m Bid for Liverpool Midfielder Joe Cole

by Christian Bailey August 11th, 2012

boss Sam Allardyce is reportedly set to make an offer in the region of £6m for Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole. The Upton Park boss will look to tempt the former England international regular into making an emotional return to the East London club he represented from the age of 13 until he left for Chelsea nine years later.

Though Brendan Rodgers has stated that the attacking midfielder is a part of his first team plans Cole will have noted the departures of Dirk Kuyt, Maxi Rodriguez and Craig Bellamy as the new Liverpool boss looks to plan for the long term.

The 30 year old midfielder spent last term on loan at Lille where he secured regular first team football and helped Rudi Garcia’s side to a third place finish, netting nine goals and making 42 appearances in all competitions. A move to Ligue 1 helped to get Cole’s career back on track after a difficult first season at Liverpool.

oe Cole was sent off in his first Premier League match for the Merseyside club and things seemed to go downhill from there. Roy Hodgson was sacked and Kenny Dalglish declined to use the Londoner as a starter and then left for Lille last season on a temporary basis.

Sam Allardyce has made a number of purchases during the summer transfer window as he looks to improve his Hammers side ahead of their return to the top tier. The West Ham manager followed up the captures of Jussi Jaaskelainen, James Collins, George McCartney, Mohamed Diame and Modibo Maiga with the surprise signing of Marseille midfielder Alou Diarra earlier in the week.

Liverpool boss Rodgers may well consider accepting such an offer for Joe Cole as he looks to pursue further signings. The club’s American owners may be reticent to fork out for further significant signings having already forked out £25m to bring in Fabio Borini and Joe Allen and therefore the injection of further funds from the sale of a player who may well only play a peripheral role could well be accepted.

LFC gives West Ham 6m and Joe Cole... and West Ham give us a fruit basket.

I'd take that deal.

I really dont get the 'we should have signed an attacker before Joe Allen' opinion, our midfield was dreadful last year & Rodgers wants 3 in the middle,so we needed someone else desperately, i dont want to be relying on Jay anymore. The midfield is integral to Rodgers philosophy & hes sorted it (hopefully) We will be getting someone else up top anyway, does it really matter what order they come in?

I think it just shows that people have more faith in the players we have to back-up midfield than in the player we'll most likely use wide right...

Personally I think we definitely need either a striker to better fit Rodgers style (someone like Leandro Damiao would be perfect I think but that's just my opinion) or an attacking player suited for the right. Both would be nice but I think Borini can do either at a good level so only one or the other is really a need.

Then a player than can adequately cover Gerrard should his injury issues resurface.

If we sell Agger though then a quality defender jumps to the top of the list.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is prepared to jettison Scotland midfielder Charlie Adam in order to sign Fulham’s Clint Dempsey.

Rodgers sees the 26-year-old as surplus to requirements at Anfield following the arrival of Joe Allen from Swansea City on Friday and the impressive form of Jonjo Shelvey.

Rodgers and the club’s American owners want USA striker Dempsey but have been unable to agree a deal with Fulham, who value him at £10million.

London calling? Charlie Adam (left) could be on the way out of Anfield

But Liverpool hope the inclusion of Adam as part of the package will help push the move forward. Fulham are looking for a creative midfielder following the departure of Danny Murphy.

Rodgers is an admirer of Adam but has been surprised by the emergence of youngster Shelvey, who was picked ahead of his Scottish rival for the Europa League win against Gomel last week.

Like striker Andy Carroll, there are doubts Adam can fit into the quick-passing style Rodgers wants to introduce.

In demand: Clint Dempsey hit 23 goals in 45 games for Fulham last season

Rodgers has already begun breaking up Dalglish’s squad by letting Craig Bellamy, Maxi Rodriguez, Dirk Kuyt and Alberto Aquilani leave but he needs more departures to bring in more signings, following the arrivals of Fabio Borini and Allen.

Daniel Agger is the subject of interest from Manchester City, while Liverpool hope to agree a deal which would see £35m Carroll return to Newcastle only 18 months after he joined

Read more: Clint Dempsey to Liverpool: Charlie Adam used as bait | Mail Online

Brendan Rodgers admits he is shocked at the prices being quoted for his transfer targets since he took over as Liverpool manager.

Rodgers has signed Joe Allen from his old club Swansea after meeting the £15million release clause in the midfielder’s contract.

But the frustrated Anfield boss has found other deals harder to complete because he claims clubs try to drive up the price whenever Liverpool show an interest.

Wanted man: Liverpool are eyeing Clint Dempsey

Rodgers is keen to bolster his newly acquired squad further, and is interested in either Fulham's Clint Dempsey or Real Madrid's Nuri Sahin.

‘It’s absolutely incredible,’ said Rodgers after taking charge of his first home game against FC Gomel on Thursday.

‘It’s always complex at a big club but what I’ve learnt here very quickly is that the minute Liverpool are interested it adds about two noughts onto the price tag of a player.

‘It’s probably a wee bit frustrating for everyone, including myself, that we haven’t got signings coming in quicker, but I think we’ve seen that the squad we’ve got here is already a good one. I’m just trying to improve it a little.’

In the bag: Brendan Rodgers (right) already has Joe Allen (left) from Swansea

As well as Sahin and Dempsey, Rodgers has also been linked with Barcelona winger Cristian Tello, Arsenal’s Theo Walcott and Wolves goalkeeper Dorus de Vries.

But he is reluctant to say just how many more new signings will arrive at Anfield before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

‘I don’t know whether I expect more signings to follow rapidly after Joe arrives, but certainly our hunt continues,’ he added. ‘I said when I first came in my objective was to build a squad that was going to be competitive.

‘Hopefully between now and the end of August we can get some more players in who can help the players we have here. That would be great.

Target: Nuri Sahin (back) is also wanted by Liverpool

‘I don’t really want to say how many I’d like to bring in because if I say three, for instance, then people might say “you’ve not got three” if it doesn’t happen.

‘We still have work to do in the market and we hope to get it done sooner rather than later, because we want to give them as much time as possible to settle in.

‘But I’m realistic enough to know that these things can take time. The people behind the scenes are working very hard on the targets I’ve asked to come in.

Read more: Brendan Rodgers chasing Clint Dempsey and Nuri Sahin | Mail Online

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is prepared to jettison Scotland midfielder Charlie Adam in order to sign Fulham’s Clint Dempsey.

Rodgers sees the 26-year-old as surplus to requirements at Anfield following the arrival of Joe Allen from Swansea City on Friday and the impressive form of Jonjo Shelvey.

Rodgers and the club’s American owners want USA striker Dempsey but have been unable to agree a deal with Fulham, who value him at £10million.

London calling? Charlie Adam (left) could be on the way out of Anfield

But Liverpool hope the inclusion of Adam as part of the package will help push the move forward. Fulham are looking for a creative midfielder following the departure of Danny Murphy.

Rodgers is an admirer of Adam but has been surprised by the emergence of youngster Shelvey, who was picked ahead of his Scottish rival for the Europa League win against Gomel last week.

Like striker Andy Carroll, there are doubts Adam can fit into the quick-passing style Rodgers wants to introduce.

In demand: Clint Dempsey hit 23 goals in 45 games for Fulham last season

Rodgers has already begun breaking up Dalglish’s squad by letting Craig Bellamy, Maxi Rodriguez, Dirk Kuyt and Alberto Aquilani leave but he needs more departures to bring in more signings, following the arrivals of Fabio Borini and Allen.

Daniel Agger is the subject of interest from Manchester City, while Liverpool hope to agree a deal which would see £35m Carroll return to Newcastle only 18 months after he joined

Read more: Clint Dempsey to Liverpool: Charlie Adam used as bait | Mail Online

This would make me very happy. Shame about the source.

That's a direct contradiction there. So which is it? He can't be both.

Well sure he is a very good dribbler, is not a afraid to take a defender on, can cut inside well enough and get to a shooting position. All good stuff. Its when he shoots that the ball seems to catch air and float itself out of the stadium.

Well sure he is a very good dribbler, is not a afraid to take a defender on, can cut inside well enough and get to a shooting position. All good stuff. Its when he shoots that the ball seems to catch air and float itself out of the stadium.

I wouldn't go that far, really, but he's fairly raw still. He's got good pace, and can make things happen... He'd move right into our starting XI, to be honest.

Adam out for Dempsey and Cole to West Ham for £6mill is too good to be true.

But at least it shows that Rodgers has quickly sorted in his head, the players that he thinks will take us forward. Or rather, the players that wont.

If he can find a way of getting £7-8 mill for Downing and replacing him with either Walcott or Johnson then we would be flying for the new season.

I just hope that if he HAS to sell a player to fund some more moves, that it is Carroll who is sold and not Agger.

Preferably we keep both.