You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

As in having a slightly squelchy shit is better than diarrhoea then I agree with you.

But we require better.

Not as a backup we don't. Unless we are city we can't afford to have some high quality defensive midfielder sitting on the bench. Only team that has that are city. Not even chelsea or manure have that. He's good enough to handle himself when called upon as backup.

It's the other side we're more desperate for help with anyway.

I'm happy to see Bellamy, Downing and Sterling split time on the left. Well, not "happy," exactly, but I can live with it. Even Suarez can play out there in this 4-3-3-esque setup of Brendan's.

The bigger problem is on the right. We've had Kuyt, who's now gone. Henderson, who looked poor, and isn't even an option if it's 4-3-3 and we're talking about the right forward. Gerrard? I don't think he'd be suited there, either.

That's where we need to spend the money, IMO. Sure, we could use someone to challenge Carroll for the #9, but we haven't had a really good wide player in ages. If we're going to be after a "marquee" player, that's where it has to be. If he can play on the left as well it's a bonus, but we need someone to come in and be a right-sided John Barnes. Or, as that's probably asking too much, at least a right-sided Riera.

As well as the obvious (Striker and Winger) I still think we lack a world class central midfielder. Since we lost the Combo of Alonso (30m) and Mascherano (18.6m) we have suffered. Never adequately replaced. Adam should be shipped out too if we have any serious champions league aspirations.

In a true 433 (imo we wont line up that way but...)

where does Gerrard operate then?

Well I see Gerrard doing what Xavi did for Barca when he was playing alongside Iniesta every week. Iniesta would get forward in the box a bit more and xavi would drop a bit deeper but still get forward as well.

Gerrard has never really been a player to get into the box for the first phase of an attack. He's always been someone to follow up from the edge of the area and burst into the box after we have played it round a bit or shoot from distance.

Maybe a line up of Lucas as Busquets but Lucas isn't as good a passer obviously, Gerrard as Xavi linking everything and looking like Sigurdsson as the player getting forward and into the box.

Then if you put Suarez in one of the wide areas and bring in another forward and someone else to play out wide then that looks a fairly strong line up

Guthrie is a decent player and we should've given players like him a go instead of constantly paying 5-7million on squad players like we seemed to do regularly at the time, not advocating getting him in now of course

Guthrie is total shite and it was absolutely the right decision to get rid of him when we did.

Well I see Gerrard doing what Xavi did for Barca when he was playing alongside Iniesta every week. Iniesta would get forward in the box a bit more and xavi would drop a bit deeper but still get forward as well.

Gerrard has never really been a player to get into the box for the first phase of an attack. He's always been someone to follow up from the edge of the area and burst into the box after we have played it round a bit or shoot from distance.

Maybe a line up of Lucas as Busquets but Lucas isn't as good a passer obviously, Gerrard as Xavi linking everything and looking like Sigurdsson as the player getting forward and into the box.

Then if you put Suarez in one of the wide areas and bring in another forward and someone else to play out wide then that looks a fairly strong line up

so a right sided midfielder