You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jimmy Savile dead

Mendoza

36 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Jesus, does this really need to be made?

Probably. It is an absolutely fascinating story, on so many levels. 

I remember going through old Louis Theroux's programmes with a friend some years ago and the one with Jimmy Savile left us speechless, it was before the story came out, and we were completely shocked by the total, open creepiness of this guy. As neither of us is British, we didn't grow up with Savile as a TV personality, so it was unfathomable he was presenting children's TV (and Top of the Pops) and being considered some kind of loveble eccentric.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I remember going through old Louis Theroux's programmes with a friend some years ago and the one with Jimmy Savile left us speechless, it was before the story came out, and we were completely shocked by the total, open creepiness of this guy. As neither of us is British, we didn't grow up with Savile as a TV personality, so it was unfathomable he was presenting children's TV (and Top of the Pops) and being considered some kind of loveble eccentric.

Yeah that Theroux one is just unreal to watch mate. 

Not sure it needs dramatising though. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah that Theroux one is just unreal to watch mate. 

Not sure it needs dramatising though. 

Well, they are not going to show the abuse scenes I guess. It may be an interesting study in how cover-up works, or how the entire society can be manipulated into not seeing what would otherwise be immediately obvious without a gradually developing context.

They will almost certainly focus on how he was protected, but I find this other aspect more fascinating, a bit like when you are watching a film or a TV drama from a smaller culture and don't get why is the male lead treated like he's Clooney and played by some chubby average looking middle-aged guy, because he was a heartthrob in that culture 10 or 15 years ago and time wasn't too kind to him, but he is still cast as such, because they still see him as a bit of a heartthrob and you don't because you lack the frame and context.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Should get Clint Eastwood to play him, going by that clip on the other thread.

• 1 month later...
On 06/08/2012 at 00:51, King Emlyn said:

Yeah let's join in with a media bash against a dead fella who can't defend himself, sounds like a plan!

On 06/08/2012 at 15:24, WaltonRed said:

why dont people level these accusations when he's alive?

fucking sly, labelling someone who cant defend himself in a court of law

Given what we now know, these posts seem a bit ill-judged, to say the least.

That Guardian article contains an answer to WaltonRed's question: when you're seen as nothing but a "chav" and a "slag" there's really no point in trying to take a national treasure to court, when it's your word against his.

• Upvote 3

• 5 months later...

Has anyone seen the documentary on Netflix? It's called 'Jimmy Saville - A British Horror Story'. They missed a trick not calling it "Now then, Now then" 

How did everyone not know?! He pretty much says i interviews he's a dirty wrong'un! Also, they show him walking into the Celebrity Big Brother house and Barrymore is in there and looks happy to see him. Barrymore was around television enough with Saville so must have at least heard a number of rumours. 

Rot in hell you filthy horrible creepy rapist cunt 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Has anyone seen the documentary on Netflix? It's called 'Jimmy Saville - A British Horror Story'. They missed a trick not calling it "Now then, Now then" 

How did everyone not know?! He pretty much says i interviews he's a dirty wrong'un! Also, they show him walking into the Celebrity Big Brother house and Barrymore is in there and looks happy to see him. Barrymore was around television enough with Saville so must have at least heard a number of rumours. 

Rot in hell you filthy horrible creepy rapist cunt 

Yeah, saw it over the weekend. It was a bit odd, they spent way too much time on how he got to be famous and not enough focussing on the victims and what he did. There was tons of archive footage and person after person saying things like, 'you'd hear the rumours and not believe it, but deep down, I knew'. It then seemed to cram all the revelations that came afterwards into the last 30 minutes or so. There also wasn't enough on how he managed to inveigle his way into the company of powerful people and on to powerful positions of his own.

I would have been 9 or 10 when Jim'll Fix It was at its height of popularity and I just thought it was a boring show run by a slightly desperate try-hard dickhead. He rapidly seemed very old fashioned and by the eighties he just looked like a ridiculous and annoying 'handsy' twat of an uncle, always play acting. How the fuck he got promoted as a national treasure is beyond me, he was a self-aggrandising cunt as well as a vicious nonce.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, saw it over the weekend. It was a bit odd, they spent way too much time on how he got to be famous and not enough focussing on the victims and what he did. There was tons of archive footage and person after person saying things like, 'you'd hear the rumours and not believe it, but deep down, I knew'. It then seemed to cram all the revelations that came afterwards into the last 30 minutes or so. There also wasn't enough on how he managed to inveigle his way into the company of powerful people and on to powerful positions of his own.

I would have been 9 or 10 when Jim'll Fix It was at its height of popularity and I just thought it was a boring show run by a slightly desperate try-hard dickhead. He rapidly seemed very old fashioned and by the eighties he just looked like a ridiculous and annoying 'handsy' twat of an uncle, always play acting. How the fuck he got promoted as a national treasure is beyond me, he was a self-aggrandising cunt as well as a vicious nonce.

I'm only about half way through, he's just met thatcher. now thats a moment you need to throw a lion in the fucking room 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm only about half way through, he's just met thatcher. now thats a moment you need to throw a lion in the fucking room 

Funny how the blame for him got pushed on to the BBC and now, bizarrely, Starmer and away from Thatcher, the Tories and the royals.

12 minutes ago, Mudface said:

There are two parts. The first part is how he became famous. 

The Saville stuff is fucking bizarre. Apart from being a massive fucking nonce, the bit that baffles me is that he was called in to help save Charles and Diana's marriage. They could have asked for the leading relationship experts in the world or the best psychologists but no, they called in a Yorkshire DJ.

It's like asking Robert Mugabe to crack the enigma code.

15 minutes ago, Elite said:

The Saville stuff is fucking bizarre. Apart from being a massive fucking nonce, the bit that baffles me is that he was called in to help save Charles and Diana's marriage. They could have asked for the leading relationship experts in the world or the best psychologists but no, they called in a Yorkshire DJ.

It's like asking Robert Mugabe to crack the enigma code.

Looking at those clips of Diana on it from the early 80's she really was gorgeous back then.  

Lad I know is a civil engineer and he was working on some major project in Manchester (can't remember what it was). She was at the official opening and he said she was absolutely beautiful, couldn't take his eyes off her. Way nicer than she looked on telly.