You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A week off booze

Redder Lurtz

Went for 'a couple' after work last Friday, on top of a stinking cold, which turned into 8 pints and a bottle of wine. Decided to have a week off after spending all the next day feeling like death. Can't remember the last time that happened. Just been on ribena instead of wine / beer all week. Think I started to feel a bit more lucid towards the end of the week and it was a piece of piss. This bottle of Piermont Barbera is going down a fucking treat though...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before last weekend, I went off the drink for 14 days and 14 nights. The longest I had gone off the drink since I started drinking. It was easy enough, which was a surprise. Made up for it big time last weekend, with the arrival of my brother in Liverpool.

Been off it again since Saturday, and had planned to do another 2 week detox, but that has just been prematurely ended.

I've only been on the drink for about 6 weeks of this year, it's a piece of piss (although I don't really have much choice), I've saved a shed load of money and I see a huge improvement in my health. I miss the odd pint, mostly I hate not having the choice but after a while I got used to it and it's not a huge problem.

I drink very rarely myself these days,

I cycle quite a bit and honestly value getting up early and going for a cycle far more than waking up with a stinking hangover.

Even though I rarely drink anymore, I could never be a non drinker, its just boring going to the pub without getting pissed

Went for 'a couple' after work last Friday, on top of a stinking cold, which turned into 8 pints and a bottle of wine. Decided to have a week off after spending all the next day feeling like death. Can't remember the last time that happened. Just been on ribena instead of wine / beer all week. Think I started to feel a bit more lucid towards the end of the week and it was a piece of piss. This bottle of Piermont Barbera is going down a fucking treat though...

Fuck me, mate - I literally could not consume that amount of alcohol (or at least not in that form, but I doubt I could in any form to be honest). How the hell do you keep going on the pints for that long? And then the wine too!

I've not had a drink in ages, I don't like feeling bladdered (merry is acceptable) and I loath hangovers, I'll go out have a few then about 3 hours in i'll switch over to water. I think the last time i was totally wasted was after the city game a couple of years ago, and that was down to some Norwegians delightfully handing out shots to me and my mate in Flannigans.

I've not had a drink in ages, I don't like feeling bladdered (merry is acceptable) and I loath hangovers.

This is it for me as well. The older I get the more difficult it is to get over the after-effects. I went to the Oktoberfest this year and I was shaking like a shitting dog, having insane dreams and sweating like fuck for three days after getting back. I love beer but that's a heavy price to pay for one's enjoyment.

I don't drink at all during the week now and just tend to have a few bevvies at the weekend when that game we all like to watch is on. Giving it up completely is a no-no though, I'd have no social life otherwise!

I really enjoy a drink both for the taste and the effect. However, I rarely have any more than three drinks in an evening, no more than three times (but usually twice) a week. It affects my sleep, badly dehydrates me and gives me headaches. Plus I no longer enjoy the feeling of being outright pissed.

I really enjoy a drink both for the taste and the effect. However, I rarely have any more than three drinks in an evening, no more than three times (but usually twice) a week. It affects my sleep, badly dehydrates me and gives me headaches. Plus I no longer enjoy the feeling of being outright pissed.

It effects athletes more Paul

You sound like you are on the same road I was on before I quit then, except I found that the less I drank the less I enjoyed the effect too, until there came a point where there was nothing redeeming in it at all.

It effects athletes more Paul

Very true mate. I often take my physical prowess for granted. Maybe I should recognise my body's temple-like nature more readily.

You sound like you are on the same road I was on before I quit then, except I found that the less I drank the less I enjoyed the effect too, until there came a point where there was nothing redeeming in it at all.

I've been like this for years mate. Certainly since my mid-twenties. I really like the taste of loads of different alcoholic drinks and I love the feeling of being a bit tipsy. I don't see that changing to be honest. However there's no need for it to as my alcohol use is moderate and proportionate.

Edited by Paul

I've been like this or years mate. Certainly since my mid-twenties. I really like the taste of loads of different alcoholic drinks and I love the feeling of being a bit tipsy. I don't see that changing to be honest. However there's no need for it to as my alcohol use is moderate and proportionate.

That's fair enough then. I found myself in a situation where my approach to alcohol had always meant that if I had a drink of an evening I would continue to have a drink until bedtime. When I tried to cut that back I found I wasn't all that interested in half measures!

Quit drinking nearly eighteen months ago. Don't miss it at all; one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I've been thinking about quitting drinking. I'm only 23 though so a bit part of quitting is adjusting to heading out sober. I just can't manage it at the moment. Drunks are unbearable to me. Do you still head out?

I've been thinking about quitting drinking. I'm only 23 though so a bit part of quitting is adjusting to heading out sober. I just can't manage it at the moment. Drunks are unbearable to me. Do you still head out?

Less than I used to, but I have been on some nights out with mates. It's fine for the first few hours, gets a bit dull once everyone is slurring and breathing fumes on you, but I find I can still have a laugh. The weird thing is when people try to include you in rounds and you have to try to explain that you are in no rush to consume 16 glasses of cola.

Paul, you should try drinking 8 pints of Guinness. After a Sunday roast dinner. It's some challenge.

I fucking love Guiness; really love it. I couldn't face any more than two, or at a push three, pints though. In fact I couldn't face more than three pints of anything. It just makes me feel bloated and a bit sick. To get really pissed I have to be on wine or shorts.

Arrived and started boozing in O'Neil's at 10am last Saturday morning went to the game and finished up about 6am. Then back in O'Neil's for 12pm Sunday and carried on till 6 when we got the flight home. I haven't felt as shit after a session in my life.

If I never see booze again it'll be too soon.