You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

That's also the case with Carragher for us, so I'd be careful what you wish for in terms of drawing too mch attention to that 'skill'.

The thing is. 'Intelligence' is not a virtue I've ever heard players being praised for at amateur or school level.

A player might influence the game brilliantly without ever touching the ball for ten minutes. Bt you've got to understand the game to see what he's doing and why he's doing it, and that's where the coaches come in, a lot of British managers don't seem to value the art of a player making space for others and seeing danger before it happens, they are just deemed to be having a quiet game.

In no other footballing country would that be called a skill.A kill of skill -maybe,but you are right about the coaching disabilities in this country....fourth tier !!

Well no system is perfect but they could at least have had a go. One shot in target from Johson at the start and then fatty's attempted bicycle kick at the end - that was it. Pathetic.

I almost felt sorry for Young and Milner, especially Milner. He wasn't allowed to do anything and then got hooked. Not his fault, he did what his manager told him to do.

Capello had way more to him than Hodgson in my opinion. He messed up in 2010 but was solid in qualifying. Roy will be a mess. There's no way the players will stand for this crap.

Again, don't disagree, it's all this piling on hodgson as though he is the only problem that I don't buy into. When you have our history of capitulation it's obviously something more complicated.

England we're as much hampered more by their inability to pass to each other IMO. POMO + shit passing = fail.

On the bright side hendo finished with a 100% pass success rate!

I fear for the young talent England have coming through under Roy. There are plenty of good technically gifted lads coming through but will they fit into a 442 Hodgson team and would he pick kids instead of experience? I doubt it. England need to forget about the next world cup and concentrate on forming a team for the future. Cleverley, Wilshere, Henderson, Smalling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rodwell, Jones etc should be in that squad now and being given experience. I doubt it will happen though. Roy was a disastrous appointment and anyone who has seen his teams in the past (like us) knew it. I stuck that blog up on footballspeak and some fella commented that if we had players like Spain or Germany the Roy would have England playing in the same way that they do. It shows how ignorant people are to his tactics even after this tournament. If Capello had bowed out like Roy just did he'd have been fucking slaughtered.

That will soon start to change when these performances continue through qualifying.

oh its going to be fucking hilarious when they realise just how much of a fucking tool he is, when he describes a draw with Moldova as an excellent result, when he comes to the press conference beaming after beating San Marino in the 89th minute, when he claims a 2-0 defeat to Montenegro was the best performance so far, I can't bloody wait

You make it sound like its a natural progression for these 'good players' to make England play like Spain in 6 to 8 years?

I remember these same arguments 6 to 8 years ago, I honestly do.

If I wa given the choice, then I'd look at someone like Wenger, and give him the job for 8 years or something, unconditionally. With full control of the junior England teams.

We're a decade behind the likes of Spain.

We could produce five English Messi's and still not win anything.

Err, where the fuck do I say it will be easy, and where do I say we will be able to play like Spain?

I basically say we should write off the next 6 to 8 years and concentrate on bringing our youngsters through, and then you say we should basically "start from scratch" and have an 8 year plan, yet you somehow seem to be disagreeing with me!

I fear for the young talent England have coming through under Roy. There are plenty of good technically gifted lads coming through but will they fit into a 442 Hodgson team and would he pick kids instead of experience? I doubt it. England need to forget about the next world cup and concentrate on forming a team for the future. Cleverley, Wilshere, Henderson, Smalling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rodwell, Jones etc should be in that squad now and being given experience. I doubt it will happen though. Roy was a disastrous appointment and anyone who has seen his teams in the past (like us) knew it. I stuck that blog up on footballspeak and some fella commented that if we had players like Spain or Germany the Roy would have England playing in the same way that they do. It shows how ignorant people are to his tactics even after this tournament. If Capello had bowed out like Roy just did he'd have been fucking slaughtered.

If we had spain's players roy wouldn't be manager. It's circular unfortunately.

Guest ShoePiss
People do realize that no matter how much crap you talk about Hodgson Rafa will stille be useless and jobless dont they?

That's what you think it's about? Have you been snorting window cleaner thinking it was blue wkd?

I find the criticism of Hodgson ridiculous, its England, a country where tackling, working hard and never give up a ball seems to be what footballers are measured against.

Now people want them to play like Spain?

Hahaha you could not make it up.

Even more ridiculous is the fact that someone who has Dirk Kuyt as his hero is one of the most vocal ones against the type of football on show and want to keep more posession, Kuyt had a pass completion of 73%, 72% and 76% the last three seasons, but still now keeping posession seems to be the ultimate thing.

Another hero of his is Rafa, a coach who won his only two trophies at the club on penalties, I would have thought getting to penalties was a like a wet dream for this guy, but obviously not since its not Rafa Benitez we are talking about, but the unbeaten evil Hodgson who came in and got Rafa's job when the latter was sacked for underachieving and playing pragmatic football, something this guy now see as a crime.

Amazing stuff.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Firstly, I don’t think that we do have any discernable body of promising, young talent coming through. Whether it is there, and it is being coached out of them at their clubs is another question. There is no genetic advantage in being Spanish, German or Italian.

The youth v experience debate is as old as the hills. Any international manager lives or dies by qualification and tournament campaigns. Any idea that you are planning four years ahead is an illusion- ask McLaren. Forgetting about the next World Cup is a non-starter. No-one can predict form, or injury, in four years time. As for your names- they are as good/bad as any.

Hodgson has done as well as anyone could have done in the circumstances with the players at his disposal. We are not semi-final material. Unbeaten in friendlies and tournament open play is a good record that Capello would have been satisfied with- and rightly so.

I share your view that Hodgson is not going to transform England fortunes for the better. In Lambert, Clarke, Rodgers, Di Matteo , Adkins and Martinez there is a new wave of emerging PL managers all with a distinctive take on the modern game coming through. It is the next England managerial appointment that will be interesting.

Your sideswipe at the Germany/Spain players v Hodgson management style was a little smug. Gomez,Klose, Shweinsteiger, Ozil,Lahm, Fabregas, Torres,Silva, Iniesta, and Pique in particular trump anything we have. Roy wouldn’t have said no to that lot.................

I'm not having it that England are a bunch of tactically and technically inept cloggers whose only virtue is heart and last-ditch challenges.

Terry Venables and Bobby Robson showed that the England team could play with more flair and adventure.

They did have Gazza, Beardsley, Barnes, Waddle & Lineker though

Guest ShoePiss

Well El twat only had Gazza out of that list. Anyway this England squad has a very strong spine of players and a better manager could have got a lot more out of them. A better manager would have been able to put together a plan to at least compete with that poor Italy side. They'd still get beat by the Germans mind.

Guest TK-421

England have the players to play a more aggressive game higher up the pitch in order to create more chances. It's purely a matter of approach, and hodgson's is ancient. It gave the players no chance other than penalties which they are historically crap at.

I find the criticism of Egil Olsen ridiculous, its Norway, a country where tackling, working hard and never give up a ball seems to be what footballers are measured against.

Now people want them to play like Spain?

Hahaha you could not make it up.

Now, that I agree with.

But then Norway doesn't have one of the strongest leagues in the world, a squad full of players who play at the top clubs in that league, a number of winners from that league and the Champions League, and players who are recognised (legitimately in some cases) as world stars.

Hodgson is a born under-achiever. And he succeeds to the extent that people expect failure of his teams or that he can convince them that failure is success. That may wash in Finland - where "sportsmen" excel at falling-off-a-hill - but it should never wash in a country of 50 million where football is the national sport.

And, incidentally, I don't think England are Spain or Germany. But I do think they should aspire to compete with them. Or to beat a mediocre Italian team. Roy, of course, had no such aspirations.