You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Well El twat only had Gazza out of that list. Anyway this England squad has a very strong spine of players and a better manager could have got a lot more out of them. A better manager would have been able to put together a plan to at least compete with that poor Italy side. They'd still get beat by the Germans mind.

He came up with a plan to compete with them, only a world class save from Buffon stopped Johnson from making it 1-0 to England and it went to penalties, how is that not competing?

Reading some of the posts about this game you would think England lost 4-1.

England have one of the strongest leagues in the world, a squad full of players who play at the top clubs in that league, a number of winners from that league and the Champions League, and players who are recognised (legitimately in some cases) as world stars.

I don't think England are Spain or Germany. But I do think they should aspire to compete with them. Or to beat a mediocre Italy team.

The PL is not among the best leagues in Europe because of the English players, its one of the better ones because of all the foreigners playing there.

This is one of the reasons England struggle, the star players in the league is usually foreigners and no English players play abroad in other leagues to get new experiences and learn from other football cultures.

I give up, if you can't see england hung on for dear life then you must be stupid.

Did Italy score? No they did not.

I love how the Rafa crew now suddenly think defending its way to something is wrong, hilarious.

Guest davelfc
Did Italy score? No they did not.

I love how the Rafa crew now suddenly think defending its way to something is wrong, hilarious.

Ha, I don't consider myself 'Rafa crew' but I do laugh at the way you try to justify yourself when anyone with half a brain could see you're wrong. Maybe it's the reliance on stats, something OCD about that but that's for another thread.

I've always found you reasonably amusing at times, often insightful and mostly a bit mad, in a good way. But you've shown a strange obsessed at times paranoid behaviour recently that's going to make me have to place you on ignore because quite frankly I've grown tired of it all.

People do realize that no matter how much crap you talk about Hodgson Rafa will stille be useless and jobless dont they?

Is right Code.

It's everyone else that is obsessed with Rafa and you never bring him up when the conversation is about something completely different.

Nope.

Never.

Ever.

England by numbers

In extra time, England's possession was 25%. Their best passing combination throughout the entire match was Hart to Andy Carroll, a 60th-minute substitute.

That long punt came off 15 times in total, which is more times than James Milner, with 13, passed it to anyone. Italy had 815 passes compared with England's 320. The shot count was 35-9. Italy had 20 on target, one more than England managed in their four games. Andrea Pirlo put together more passes, 117, than England's entire midfield quartet of Gerrard, Milner, Scott Parker and Ashley Young.

The PL is not among the best leagues in Europe because of the English players, its one of the better ones because of all the foreigners playing there.

This is one of the reasons England struggle, the star players in the league is usually foreigners and no English players play abroad in other leagues to get new experiences and learn from other football cultures.

I didn't say that England were as good as Spain. I said that they're better than Hodgson would have you believe. Just as Liverpool are better than he had people believe - even if we weren't as good as, say, Man City. But we're capable of competing with and beating Man City on our day, as has been proven under another coach. I suggest that much the same is true of England.

Ha, I don't consider myself 'Rafa crew' but I do laugh at the way you try to justify yourself when anyone with half a brain could see you're wrong. Maybe it's the reliance on stats, something OCD about that but that's for another thread.

I've always found you reasonably amusing at times, often insightful and mostly a bit mad, in a good way. But you've shown a strange obsessed at times paranoid behaviour recently that's going to make me have to place you on ignore because quite frankly I've grown tired of it all.

Wrong about what?

The English players are inferior thechnically to their Italien counterparts, England also have had big injury problems ahead of the tournament and almost every one of them is made out to be a lot better than what they really are.

Its a knock out competition, the only thing that matters is to make it through to the next round, Hodgson picked the right tactics to do exactly this and only the lottery that is penalties stopped them, I then find it amusing that another manager is hailed by the same people as some kind of tactical genius for achieving the same stuff with his tactics, reaching penaltu shoot outs, some consistency would be good.

Some might disagree with some of the players he picked in certain positions, on here A.Young and Wellbeck have got a lot of criticism as have Rooney, our own players obviously all had a great tournament, go to a manc forum and look who they will criticise, I'm sure its not the same players.

I think Hodgson is a crap manager, I think England are crap as hard work and tackling means fuck all to me but the hypocrisy on show from some people is so laughable it has to be addressed.

Wrong about what?

The English players are inferior thechnically to their Italien counterparts, England also have had big injury problems ahead of the tournament and almost every one of them is made out to be a lot better than what they really are.

Its a knock out competition, the only thing that matters is to make it through to the next round, Hodgson picked the right tactics to do exactly this and only the lottery that is penalties stopped them, I then find it amusing that another manager is hailed by the same people as some kind of tactical genius for achieving the same stuff with his tactics, reaching penaltu shoot outs, some consistency would be good.

Some might disagree with some of the players he picked in certain positions, on here A.Young and Wellbeck have got a lot of criticism as have Rooney, our own players obviously all had a great tournament, go to a manc forum and look who they will criticise, I'm sure its not the same players.

I think Hodgson is a crap manager, I think England are crap as hard work and tackling means fuck all to me but the hypocrisy on show from some people is so laughable it has to be addressed.

I genuinely can't believe you are comparing Rafa with Hodgson. I don't even know where to start with that, so I'm just going to leave it.

Rafa for England! He'd sort them out.

European football. No transfer funds to moan about. And even Rafa might last three weeks without falling out with the FA.

Hodgson has done as well in six weeks as most other managers have done with years of preparation.

He played for penalties whilst winning La Liga twice too. In every league game.

That's not strictly true; I believe it's actually been established that neither of those league titles count though as, although finishing top, they didn't achieve the requisite amount of points for it to be impressive.

He played for penalties whilst winning La Liga twice too. In every league game.

He also played for pelanties each match when Liverpool came in 2nd a few years ago. That was the also the time, when a team that was basically Houlliers stepped up to some great performances with an overachieving squad, mainly due to the remnants of Houlliers spirited pep talk in the dressing room.

Roy and Rafa's styles being compared now simply because people have criticised Hodgson's woeful two banks of four? A new low. I don't see why this always has to come back to Rafa, it's fucking retarded and one of the reasons I barely post on here any more. It's the same as when Rashid used to turn every thread into a Crouch clusterfuck.

Let's not analyse or debate Hodgson's style of play because at the end of the day Rafa was just as shit apparently. Sorted.