You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

England hardly ever lose competitive games apart from when they had the inept McClaren in charge.

Since the start of the WC qualifiers for South Africa they have lost only twice, once away to Ukraine after they already had won the group and against Germany in the WC.

We always bottle it in the big tournament games fella. It's as sure a thing as Tottenham collapsing late in the season (i.e. there may be the odd exception, but the trend is well established).

Just as predicted then and now Italy waits in the quarter final.

A tough game that can go either way the way I see it, but I would not be surprised if England win it.

I'm going to cheer on Italy though obviously.

I think they should be learning the nice stuff from a young age, so that it's second nature when they play at this level, drives me mad watching us but respect to them for managing it so far. I just think it's a very limited style and always gets shown up for what it is in the later stages. I think we can hit the semi's but it's the lack of decent skill as a team and tactics that'll probably make sure we don't go any further.

Would like to be wrong but I just can't see it. If we face Germany they'll probably take us apart again. Might stick a bet on Germany anyway, I think they're due for a win.

England might of beaten last time had Lampards goal been given

Its footie, anyone can beat anyone, thats why its so good

I know, would just prefer us using a different style. Not that I'll be moaning much about it if we carry on winning of course.

A very good result,a great performance from Gerrard and Johnson, and Roy is as relaxed as a clubber after downing a fistful of "e"s. Football..............

Judging by his post match interviews he couldnt believe he'd got that far. Hope he's packed enough underpants for his extended trip

In fairness, he got the team wrong again, with Welbeck being awful, and Rooney also not being fit, Milner anonymous as well.

He's getting away with it though because of Gerrard and Parker primarily.

Italy will be different, De Rossi is in great form and will relish that midfield battle.

In fairness, he got the team wrong again, with Welbeck being awful, and Rooney also not being fit, Milner anonymous as well.

He's getting away with it though because of Gerrard and Parker primarily.

Italy will be different, De Rossi is in great form and will relish that midfield battle.

Parker didn't look fit, either. He was wasteful in possession and slow. A few heroic blocks with his face in the second half doesn't mask a very average display.

Welbeck was abysmal.

Parker didn't look fit, either. He was wasteful in possession and slow. A few heroic blocks with his face in the second half doesn't mask a very average display.

Welbeck was abysmal.

And this is different from a fully fit Parker how?

Having witnessed the very best player in that role in the game today Mascherano, each time I see Parker I think "fuck me you're fucking dogshit."

Only in this country would e celebrate a player as limited as this beaut.

'Perfect tournament football'

No it isnt.

Agreed. If it was then why have Spain have won the last two international tournaments?

And this is different from a fully fit Parker how?

Having witnessed the very best player in that role in the game today Mascherano, each time I see Parker I think "fuck me you're fucking dogshit."

Only in this country would e celebrate a player as limited as this beaut.

He's a shit version of Sissoko, who wasn't good or consistent enough at the top level himself.