You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Cole - did he get real chance?

Dracco

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still rate him higher than Maxi. Maxi has scored quite a few goals, but those were lucky goal from positions that even I would have scored.

But other than that he was awful, anonymous in 95 % of the time on the pitch.

Your Skrtel worship is making more sense now.

Started off half-decent, then there was the whole sending-off/penalty miss thing and since then he's been about as good as Andy Reid at his worst.

I always thought he was going to be a superstar, but too many games as a kid and a few serious injuries have ruined him. A real shame because he seems a sound bloke as well.

At the same time though G, he looked off the pace and was blowing after half an hour. Sad to say, I think his body has gone.

Didn't ATK hint that the LFC medical staff thought he was physically fit, but that Cole himself had a lack of belief in his own fitness.

I honestly don't know how he went from having one decent game against Rabotnicki then shite every other game.

He absolutely has to be good - cannot consider any other consideration. Skilled but with no spirit at all. He is talented though surely

Most footballers in the modern game, by the time they get to Joe Cole's age, are fucked. Ask yourself this question: would you pick up Stevie G on a free transfer (assuming he'd never played for Liverpool before, and wasn't an Anfield Legend) at his age now, and expect anything but moderate form, and limited playing time?

I remember Fowler's return. Wonderful sentiment, but nothing more than a Talisman effect.

Football (especially Premier League football) chews up players and spits them out before they turn 30, generally speaking. There will be exceptions to the rule, but Joe Cole was/is never gonna be one of them.

You put Steven Gerrard on a free transfer and there's not a team in Europe bar barcelona that won't offer him a deal

Dracco. Tut tut. You were the one bigging up Skrtel when he was an absolute liability week after week. I'd trust Stevie Wonder's opinion on a new shirt before I'd rely on your opinion on anything related to football.

It´s different with Skrtel. I have soft spot for him, but not for Joe Cole. And by the way, Skrtel was never an "absolute liabilty week after week".

And Maxi is really awful, he has had 5 or 6 good games at the club. And the rest were not average, they were absolutely disasterous. I can live with players who have 2-3 excellent games, few average ones, and 1 or 2 bad games out of 10. But Maxi has one brilliant and then 9 terrible ones.

It´s different with Skrtel. I have soft spot for him, but not for Joe Cole. And by the way, Skrtel was never an "absolute liabilty week after week".

And Maxi is really awful, he has had 5 or 6 good games at the club. And the rest were not average, they were absolutely disasterous. I can live with players who have 2-3 excellent games, few average ones, and 1 or 2 bad games out of 10. But Maxi has one brilliant and then 9 terrible ones.

No he didn't. He had some ineffectual games, but then so did everyone else. The rest of the time (and let's not forgot he didn't play all season) he was tidy in possession, was happy to receive the ball even when not in space, and had good distribution. When some players actually have a negative impact on the team in some games, it's important to retain some perspective. I'm glad to see Kenny recognises his qualities and what he can contribute to a fluid attacking team.