You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Centre Backs

Deepz

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Agger out until possibly November, Johnson out until mid-October, our back four between now and the Mancs at home is likely to be:

Flanagan - Carra - Skrtel/Coates - Enrique

Maybe we'll see Kelly back, but I don't know how long we can keep him off the physio table.

If Agger is out for 4 weeks + and only after that will be resuming training then we will see him at Christmas if lucky.

Skrtel was a disgrace on Sunday, but he was played out of position, against one of the paciest wingers around.. I hate people screaming once again that he is not good enough although he didn´t play single league game at CB in this season. He was excellent at RB against Bolton and ok against Stoke. Now he had a mare at RB and he is again shitty central half

Short memory works again for Martin, as people again seem to ignore how immense he was at CB since January until the end of season under Kenny and Clarke.

HE. IS. FUCKING. SHITE.

That is what I think.

Of course, you may have a different opinion, but though it may come as a shock to you, I have not, in fact, been diagnosed with memory problems.

I think he is a terrible CB and has been for the past 2-3 years, I think he gives Koscielny and Djurou a fight for the most clueless CB in the league.

That is my opinion. Can you accept without questioning my memory, you tit?

HE. IS. FUCKING. SHITE.

That is what I think.

Of course, you may have a different opinion, but though it may come as a shock to you, I have not, in fact, been diagnosed with memory problems.

I think he is a terrible CB and has been for the past 2-3 years, I think he gives Koscielny and Djurou a fight for the most clueless CB in the league.

That is my opinion. Can you accept without questioning my memory, you tit?

He is not shite. He is average and should be sub, at best, but he is not shite. He is not the granite hard man we thought he would be but he's decent cover when Agger is injured (ie half of the season).

He is not shite. He is average and should be sub, at best, but he is not shite. He is not the granite hard man we thought he would be but he's decent cover when Agger is injured (ie half of the season).

He is only a backup player on paper, because, as you say, Agger is injured for roughly half of every season. For that reason we need a better CB for his place in the rotation. He will likely have some 25-30 league appearances this season and that will hurt us.

He is only a backup player on paper, because, as you say, Agger is injured for roughly half of every season. For that reason we need a better CB for his place in the rotation. He will likely have some 25-30 league appearances this season and that will hurt us.

If the current season is anything to go by, he won't hurt us half as much as playing Carra will. Like Dracco, I'm astonished Martin gets so much grief. And Carra's staunchest supporters saying Skrtel is slow is beyond ludicrous. He's perhaps not the quickest CB in the league, but he's a lot quicker than the other three. Our defenders being outmuscled has been a recurring theme the last 20 or so seasons, so nothing new there either. I'll put my head on the block and say that Coates will function very well for us pretty quickly. Not as slow as I feared, and pretty aggressive when ball was played towards him.

Unfortunately I think (as someone said in another thread) the decision to eventually drop Carra will be just as much a political as sporting, and that it therefore will take half a dozen or so shocking performances from him before he's eventually phased out.

Now that Agger is injured (inevitably - always preceeded by an interview claiming he's nearing peak form and is feeling great), I think we should play Skrtel alongside Coates, and if Kelly isn't fit, Flanagan at RB. That way we will have two quick(ish) players in Enrique and Skrtel, and all four at will be fairly comfortable with the ball. I think the latter is imperative for us to regain our confidence and possession style of play...

Unfortunately I think (as someone said in another thread) the decision to eventually drop Carra will be just as much a political as sporting, and that it therefore will take half a dozen or so shocking performances from him before he's eventually phased out.

Absolutely, and this was why I loved Rafa, he would have dropped Carra by now. Instead, we gave him a contract extension.

By the time we get round to doing it, it'll be 18 months too late.

Never again can we afford to have a player like Carragher at the back. No nice way of saying that.

Absolutely, and this was why I loved Rafa, he would have dropped Carra by now. Instead, we gave him a contract extension.

By the time we get round to doing it, it'll be 18 months too late.

Never again can we afford to have a player like Carragher at the back. No nice way of saying that.

Fucking hell.

I don't think Gerrard starts this game. The club have not rushed him and want him back filly fit so he will be on the bench at best.I don't see Sterling getting a game either, personally I dint think he is physically up to first team football yet.

I can see Maxi,Kuyt,Spearing all getting game though.

The Wisdom one is an interesting one, would like to see him tested at a higher level before I get too excited. However he does look very composed and seems to have a good awareness of what is going on around him.

I guess with lots of young players we don't even know which position they will end up making their own, it tends to be what injuries happen in the first team squad and where there is a dearth of talent. Would love to see him get a game tonight.

I don't think Wisdom is ready for the first team yet.

These Next Gen games will do him good and he's been our best player over the three games so far.

Maybe a loan spell towards the end of the season at a Championship club and then give him games next pre-season and see where he is after that.

I'll be hugely disappointed if Kenny doesn't see the merit in using Sterling or Suso tonight at some point.

Doni

Flanno

Wilson

Coates

Robinson

Sterling

Gerrard

Spearing

Maxi

Bellamy

Carroll

Subs: Jones, Wisdom, Carragher, Shelvey, Adorjan, Amoo, Kuyt

The youngsters are in Wolfsburg tonight for the Next Gen so they won't be involved.

Amoo and Suso are a million miles away from a first-team call up anyway. Amoo's playing out time till his contract's up.