You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Stevie off?

I'm serious. I've not seen a performance like that in the middle of the park from Gerrard for about 3, maybe four years, maybe back to the Istanbul run.

I've been a bit sick of people saying Spearing isn't good enough for a while now, completely unfounded belief that the lad isn't good enough, based on fuck all apart from him being small and not being a big money signing.

He's always had a brilliant eye for a pass, and he's always given 100%, and he's always been a pain in the ass for anyone he's played against.

And it's the same argument with Pacheco, you cannot just stick the lad in with duffers like Cole, Ngog, Soto and Poulson in a European game and then expect to have convinced me that he's been given a fair crack at being a first teamer.

Sometimes things just click, and yesterday that was Lucas and Spearing. I think they share similar work ethics, they buzz off each other, trust each other, back each other up.

Tell you what, Capello turned up for Carroll but he'll be leaving with Spearing in the back of his mind. Imagine Spearing and Wilshire in the centre of the park, fucking watch out, like a couple of midges on coke.

While Spearing (and lots of others) did play well, you have to remember we were playing against a disinterested City team. Their heads were not in the game, and while I'd like to think it was because we were unstoppable, they were more bad than we were good. We were good though - and when we play well we'll win more than we'll lose. Things are looking good.

I'd love to know how much wedge Jay was on compared to the likes of Jovanovic, Cole, Aquillani, Maxi, etc. His attitude is first class and even if he is not first choice in every match he is a keeper. Give him a few years and he will mature in to a top class busy destroyer like Samy Lee.

He's on less than what we have to contribute to Philip Degens wages

Or maybe people are just bigging him up because he's a local lad?

If he was called Jurado Spacheco, you'd be sucking his cock. No question about that. You'd be going on and on and on about his technical ability and about that's what they are taught over there in Spain. And that all they are taught in the UK is tough tackling.

Nobody is saying that Speo is in the same league as Mascherano or Alonso. They are saying that he displays similar traits to the two of them.

He harasses the opposition like Mascherano used to. Not quite as effective, but he is in the oppositions faces and is always on the move. In terms of similarities to Alonso, he drops deep to collect the ball off Pepe or our centre backs. He is also always looking to quickly move the ball forward. When the play needs slowed down, he is capable of doing that too. Obviously his range of passing is nowhere near as good as Alonso (but very few people are). This confidence in a player to continuously look for the ball is essential if we want to do well next season. It was the single biggest factor of why we did so well in the 08/09 season.

Speo is a quality little player who is still learning his trade in the Premier League. He seems to be learning very quickly, and it's just a crying shame he was never given the proper chance when he was younger. And before any of you obsessed pricks try and turn this into me having a go at Benitez, it has fuck all to do with that.

Speo was easily man of the match for me. I thought he completely bossed the midfield for the entire first half and then played a more circumspect but no less impressive role in the second. The most impressive things about him are his intelligence, his aggression, his desire to ping passes to feet on the floor, his work rate and the fact that he constantly keeps checking the space around him like Xabi does, both on and off the ball. Added to that, he talks all the time and last night played some wonderful one touch football. In short, I think he's class. There, I said it. No provisos; class.

He had a good game, no doubt about it. I want him to succeed, definitely. But I'm not sure whether he can deliver regularly at that level - whether he would be allowed to by opposition more committed than City. If he can, and he does, then that's fantastic. Right now though,for me he is as likely to be another Mike Marsh as another Mascherano/Alonso etc.

If he was called Jurado Spacheco, you'd be sucking his cock. No question about that. You'd be going on and on and on about his technical ability and about that's what they are taught over there in Spain. And that all they are taught in the UK is tough tackling.

Nobody is saying that Speo is in the same league as Mascherano or Alonso. They are saying that he displays similar traits to the two of them.

He harasses the opposition like Mascherano used to. Not quite as effective, but he is in the oppositions faces and is always on the move. In terms of similarities to Alonso, he drops deep to collect the ball off Pepe or our centre backs. He is also always looking to quickly move the ball forward. When the play needs slowed down, he is capable of doing that too. Obviously his range of passing is nowhere near as good as Alonso (but very few people are). This confidence in a player to continuously look for the ball is essential if we want to do well next season. It was the single biggest factor of why we did so well in the 08/09 season.

Speo is a quality little player who is still learning his trade in the Premier League. He seems to be learning very quickly, and it's just a crying shame he was never given the proper chance when he was younger. And before any of you obsessed pricks try and turn this into me having a go at Benitez, it has fuck all to do with that.

Sammy Lee was shite without Souness next to him but a really good foil for him.

With a dominant, physicla midfielder next to him Spearing could be exceptional for us. Only if he changes his name to Jay 'Truck'/ 'Tookie' Spearing, or wears some 'colors' though.

Truth, I believe he suffered a broken leg at one point which held him back and made him miss one of the youth cup finals he would have been available for.

Not sure I agree on that, although he deffo should've been loaned out a lot fuckin' earlier.

I would agree with that, the problem being when he was younger he was up against two of the best in the world, hard to give chances there.

He should have been loaned out and made progress whereas he seemed to stand still for a bit but thankfully he is getting chances now and seems to be stepping up to the mark.

What, so the comparisons with Mascherano arent bigging him up? Along with 'he checks the space, its Xabi-esque'? He's a solid player, and done well the other night but he's not good enough to be part of a successful squad. Id love to be wrong, as like us all, Id like to see as many homegrown lads in the team, but he's a mid-table midfielder at very best. One or two swallows dont make a summer.

Watch him - he does check the space around him all the time. Exactly the same as Xabi does. That is patently not the same thing as saying he's as good as Xabi. Bad case of FF-itis you've got here: selective reading, chippy tone. Get back to the MF and discuss the issue properly, young man.

Also, you've only got to listen to the podcast he did for this very site to see how determined he is to make it here. He wants it so much. It is also clear from the podcast how down to earth he is and that his feet are very much on the ground.

That's one of the things I like about him. He seems determined to improve, and he has improved. He doesn't want to sit on his arse collecting his money, he is committed to the club and actually wants to earn his place. I give him full credit for that and would love to see him stay.

Robbie Or making some decent points in this thread and being unfairly treated.

Ask yourself if you see him breaking into the teams above us or doing a job for them as a squad player.

The answer is no, so we need to replace him eventually. It is okay to say he is shows traits of some quality midfielders we have had, but if we want to push on we need to recruiting players of the standard of Mascherano and Alonso, not accommodating a 'lite' version of them.

Can't see why this thread is still rumbling on.

Robbie Or making some decent points in this thread and being unfairly treated.

Ask yourself if you see him breaking into the teams above us or doing a job for them as a squad player.

The answer is no, so we need to replace him eventually. It is okay to say he is shows traits of some quality midfielders we have had, but if we want to push on we need to recruiting players of the standard of Mascherano and Alonso, not accommodating a 'lite' version of them.

Can't see why this thread is still rumbling on.

I think Spearing is better than Mikel for sure... and Anderson... and Denilson....

We need the 'lite' versions in our squad, because we can't just have 11 good players.

Spearing looks like a player that will keep improving, and he's already improved a lot.... very quickly.

Most players improve with experience. It was the same with Lucas. People claiming he was rubbish and would never be any good when he was 20. Sometimes it`s too black or white with youngsters. They are either overhyped or ridiculed.

Spearing has proved over the last few mathes that he can be a vital member of the squad. If he continues to improve, he may even hold down a regular place. He has showed that he can be trusted upon whenever he is needed, and that`s much more than can be said of the experienced international Christian Poulsen.

Out of curiousity, how is he better than them, what does he bring to the team that the above mentioned don't? 21 appearances, 13 as sub, at his age suggests otherwise.

I under the need for us to have a squad, that has been our downfall for too long, not enough strength in depth. In a team chasing for honours, he isn't going to cut the mustard even as a squad player.

Out of curiousity, how is he better than them, what does he bring to the team that the above mentioned don't? 21 appearances, 13 as sub, at his age suggests otherwise.

I under the need for us to have a squad, that has been our downfall for too long, not enough strength in depth. In a team chasing for honours, he isn't going to cut the mustard even as a squad player.

More workrate than the three of them, more bite than Denilson and Anderson, more technical ability than Mikel.

He's got more football intelligence than all fucking three of them.