You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Škrtel

Dracco

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can call it a one off game but yesterday showed why Cahill should not be signed. he was so bad it was unreal. My cousin turned to me at one point and said " he needs to put that shovel away before he needs a ladder to climb out of the hole he's digging". We need players who can sustain performance levels and raise them for this type of game and he was terrible. I've never rated him and yesterday was the confirmation of all of my views of him as a very average player.

Agree completely Einch, not a bad player but I have never seen this brilliant player I am supposed to see, and my eyebrows go ever more Ancellotti-like with a couple of million pounds added to his price every other week.

With reference to Skrtel, I think he has been excellent in the main since Xmas & along with Carra, has been amongst the best Premiership central defenders in that period. I think it has helped that the defence isn't changing every week & the confidence that comes from keeping clean sheets.

While Kenny & Clarke obviously deserve some credit, it is Skrtel who is putting in the performances on the pitch & I think he is often damned with faint praise.

Fair play, he's been playing well for the last couple of months. Still very limited player in my book, but if he can keep improving I'll happily change my point of view.

And before anyone ask, by limited I mean: Poor passing, not dominant in the air, poor header of the ball and a bit too slow.

He ?

He is one of the fastest players in our squad, his passing has never been in doubt and he has vastly improved his aerial ability in recent months.

Couple of minor things today but good again. Last week him and Djorou were 50/50 on the shirt pulling once but today he was back at it at least twice. He's a big guy and should not be doing this. Still better than the long list of better players that has been touted around before.

He ?

He is one of the fastest players in our squad, his passing has never been in doubt and he has vastly improved his aerial ability in recent months.

As far as passing goes I think his limitations are mostly mental. When he has the ball at the back he very rarely shows Agger's confidence in surging forward. When he gets it in an unexpected position (like in Birmingham's box today) he lacks composure.

That being said he is not the most technically gifted player either.

However his defending has improved massively over the past few months and I'm glad. Still think we need a new long term CB this summer as Carra won't last more than 2-3 years.

Big improvement since Kenny took over, but do tink a lot of thank is down to the more ball playing defence we now have, rather than the lump balls forward attitude under Hodgson. Met him once or twice in the city, nice fella. Young & wudn't want to mess with him, to be honest think he is the perfect no fuss customer to have next to a ball playing centre half like Agger... if ever we can keep him fit!!

Fair play, he's been playing well for the last couple of months. Still very limited player in my book, but if he can keep improving I'll happily change my point of view.

And before anyone ask, by limited I mean: Poor passing, not dominant in the air, poor header of the ball and a bit too slow.

I disagree completely. I think he is one of the fastest, delivers the ball quite well and even try to break into the midfield, aerial abilities was his biggest weakness but now he is a completely different, its like its becoming his strength

top player for me

I think Kenny and Clarke has worked wonders with him. He has looked better and better the last couple of months and he is now performing at a high level.

I was amazed to see him actually attack the ball on the corner where he gave away a freekick for flattening someone. I reckon there has been serious work done to improve his heading and I think the benefits are showing. He now looks like a player that we should definitely keep.

He has been very good of late, I've been one of his biggest critics. He needs to cut out the WWF stuff when we are defending set-pieces, though. He hasn't been doing it as much lately, but got away with it at Arsenal last week.

He looks a threat at from our attacking set-pieces recently too. Hope he keeps it up.

He has been very good of late, I've been one of his biggest critics. He needs to cut out the WWF stuff when we are defending set-pieces, though. He hasn't been doing it as much lately, but got away with it at Arsenal last week.

He looks a threat at from our attacking set-pieces recently too. Hope he keeps it up.

This

He's been superb as of late. He and carra look really solid together. Regarding the shirt tugging ALL defenders do it and never get pulled on it so whats the big deal. Terry and vidic must do it at least 5 times a game. Referees very rarely blow you up on it anyway so keep on doing it i say.

• 4 weeks later...

So he completed that rcord every minute of every fucking league game throughout the whole season.

Is it great achievement? Is it only because of the injury troubles?

Or is it the reason why we finished sixth ??:eek:

Skrtel is one of the main problems with our present squad, in that I mean he's good but just not quite good enough to breach the top four or challenge for the title.

He's one very small part of the reason we finished sixth.

Just my opinion of course.

I was arguing with a Manc the other day that Skrtel was better than Vidic, admittdly tongue in cheek. But i started thinking, why is Vidic considered the best defender in the country yet Skrtel is in the most part derided?

Skrtel has less red cards, gives away less fouls/penalties, both decent in the air and decent with the ball at their feet.

Do I have my red tinted glaasses on or do I have a point?

Take away Roy's time here and Rafa's last season and I can't remember a bad performance... He was ahead of Agger in the pecking order for a year and a half (possibly still is) i know injuries played a part but Agger couldn't get a game when he ws fit.

I was arguing with a Manc the other day that Skrtel was better than Vidic, admittdly tongue in cheek. But i started thinking, why is Vidic considered the best defender in the country yet Skrtel is in the most part derided?

Skrtel has less red cards, gives away less fouls/penalties, both decent in the air and decent with the ball at their feet.

Do I have my red tinted glaasses on or do I have a point?

Take away Roy's time here and Rafa's last season and I can't remember a bad performance... He was ahead of Agger in the pecking order for a year and a half (possibly still is) i know injuries played a part but Agger couldn't get a game when he ws fit.

Vidic probably is better than Skrtel, but the main reasons for him beeing considered one of the best around are:

1. he plays for the cunts.

2. he plays for Red Debils

3. he plays for the cunts

4. he plays for more succesful side, and deffo is more succesfull player

5. he plays for the cunts

.....and he scores more goals so ´finds himself more often in the headlines.

Skrtl is as good as vidic deffo,can't say if he's better but easily as good.

Have seen very few players we've been linked with who are better, we should keep him and Agger as I've been saying all season, add to our centre backs don't sell any except maybe Kyriagos as they are hard to come by and we would only get shafted on the fee anyway as he doesn't get the recognition nationally, like Hyppia didn't either and neither did Carra at his peak or even further back Henchoz.(As a partnership him and Hyppia did get some recognition but not individually, Henchoz was a great signing by Houllier and we let him go a bit early I thought although there were rumours about why he left...)