You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Complain about Carra all you want, but who should we have played instead ?

I know i trust Carra a hell of alot more than Skrtel, for every one mistake Carra makes Skrtel will have made at least two.Coates has only been part of the team for about 3 sessions, should he show himself to be better, he will be played. Kenny will do what is best for this club.

Bullshit

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what I was referring to there though - the invitation Shankly gave to the pressmen when Yeats signed ' come and take a walk around my new centre-half', and the referral to Yeats as a 'colossus'. That was great stuff from Shankly, and it paints a strong picture of him, and while Yeats did a fantastic job for the club in dragging them from second division into a team to be reckoned with, imo he wasn't as good as Carragher. He was less mobile and not as good on the ball for a start.

I'm slightly older than you,

I seen Yeats play (admittedly past his best) and never saw the best of Yeats,

how can you say Carragher was better than Yeats?

Tend to ignore most of this type of stuff as the players getting stick don't get anywhere near as much respect when they have a decent game, there's just a huge debate if they happen to make a mistake. Plenty of defenders do insane things from time to time, Ferdinand, Terry, etc, could've done the same thing as Carra did to give away the pen, doesn't mean they're past it.

Exactly right. Our CBs under Houllier and Rafa had very little space to cover. Under Houllier, we basically played a flat back 4 with CBs across the back line. Under Rafa, we played with two dedicated DMs who rarely played in the oppositions third.

IMHO our CBs have always been slightly overrated because of this. That is why Man U have always picked CBs with mobility and ability on the ball, same as Tottenham.

Same as Tottenham? You fucking bellend.

Tend to ignore most of this type of stuff as the players getting stick don't get anywhere near as much respect when they have a decent game, there's just a huge debate if they happen to make a mistake. Plenty of defenders do insane things from time to time, Ferdinand, Terry, etc, could've done the same thing as Carra did to give away the pen, doesn't mean they're past it.

Sorry, that is not so. It is one thing to miss time a tackle, it is another thing to rugby tackle someone around the waist because you don't have the agility to make a proper football challenge. He has done that before and it is getting worse. As you get older it is your quickness that goes. I'm a year older than Carra and in decent shape. My straight line speed is a little slower but my ability to turn and accelerate is not even close to my best.

This is 34 year old Carra. It is not a blip. He has been doing this more frequently. Watch him with the ball in the air. He either does not make a leap at all or jumps 2 or 3 inches off the ground. Look at the Berbatov hat trick game. For Berbatov's last goal, Carra is outeaped by nearly a foot on a 50-50 ball.

Exactly. Questioning the position of someone in the team is not disrespecting them. It's what any manager worth their salt does every single bloody week.

THis whole bullshit discussion has all come about because a certain subset of posters here are unable to divorce discussion about how the club is run from supporting the club itself.

The fact that where Carra ranks in the all-time greats is being used as an excuse to shut down discussion about whether he deserves a starting place right here right now is simply proof that some people simply aren't able to rationally discuss footballing matters when it comes to Liverpool, and thus probably shouldn't be frequenting a forum where discussion of footballing matters happens quite a bit.

?

I feel you're getting a little over excited here. The discussion went that way because people wanted to discuss the relative merits of past and present Liverpool defenders, not because people are unable to discuss the Carragher issue rationally.

For what it's worth, I think Carragher should be dropped if he continues to make mistakes such as the one on Saturday. I want Kenny to play the players who give us the best chance of beating the opposition. I love Jamie Carragher, but I'd have no issue with him being dropped if he doesn't improve. The question is about who to replace him with. Is Coates ready? I guess the League Cup will give us some clue about that. Is Skrtel ready? Probably, but will he benefit the team more than Carragher? Only if Carragher proves to be a liability.

?

Is Coates ready? I guess the League Cup will give us some clue about that. Is Skrtel ready? Probably, but will he benefit the team more than Carragher? Only if Carragher proves to be a liability.

Why are posters obsessed with Coates or Skrtel replacing Carragher?

Isn't Kelly a strong candidate to replace Carragher?

Sorry, that is not so. It is one thing to miss time a tackle, it is another thing to rugby tackle someone around the waist because you don't have the agility to make a proper football challenge.

He had his arm around him which stopped him getting to the ball, surely Ferdinand and Terry have done the same thing several times before. If it was Ferdinand at Old Trafford there'd probably not have been a penalty anyway. If you want to see a proper rugby tackle think back to the Sporting Player against our reserves, that was a rugby tackle.

I just think it's overblown because a lot of defenders do stupid things like that. I know he's not at his peak and some of his challenges/fouls seem desperate, but other defenders do it too, he's still got plenty of good games left in him.

Agreed that over the next couple of years Coates should maybe be eased in to replace him, but he's not finished just because the daft challenges he makes are becoming slightly more frequent. If anything Henderson and Suarez should shoulder some of the responsibility for the result with the great chances they missed.

Isn't Kelly a strong candidate to replace Carragher?

Maybe because Coates can be good enough to get into the team and Kelly can still play at right back instead. It's hard to see both Agger and Carra being replaced by Coates and Kelly, or Coates just sat on the bench all the time. Would love to see Kelly make one of those CB spots his own as quickly as possible but can't see it happening so fast now that we have Coates.

Rugby tackle.

And people say they're not poisoned...

How would you describe it? He had his arm around his waist. And, how is it poisoned? Should we pretend that it was a great tackle, or nothing happened at all?

Get your head out of the sand. If you can't recognise the absolute obvious, even just regarding that event, then your opinion cannot be taken seriously.

And this is relevant.....how?

Jamie Carragher is a professional footballer and you're just a massive fucking Australian cunt.

The relevance relates to the natural aging process we all go through. What is the relevance of your calling me a cunt? And, how did you know I was massive?:yes::yes:;)

Some people think Carra is essential to our defence, some people think he´s not.

I think that his organizational skills are the only aspect of the game in which he is better than Agger or Skrtel. And this skills are questionable. Of course, Jamie is great organizer of the defence, but I think that Martin and Daniel can not be much worse.

That said, I would make Jamie 3rd choice since tomorrow. I think he is not one of the 2 best centrebacks at the club anymore if everyone is fit.

But, I am shocked that people speak only about " if Coates and Agger will be better, then be it" without counting on Martin Skrtel, our best and most consistent defender in 3 out of 4 last seasons.

Before you start to laugh or piss on my head, remember how immense he was when he came in January 08 after his bad debut. Was our outstanding defender until the end of 07/08 season. In season 08/09 he was best defender by a mile helping in our run for 2nd place and CL run, didn´t let Agger get a sniff when Martin was fit. He didn´t have good form in 09/10 but last season, especially since January he was immense again. People seem to have short memory in his case.

Yes, he has a mare of a month last December under Woy, yes he had 2 month bad spell in 09/10 after he has broken his jaw and then lost his place to Agger. But that´s all. Other than that he was always very good.

Some people think Carra is essential to our defence, some people think he´s not.

I think that his organizational skills are the only aspect of the game in which he is better than Agger or Skrtel. And this skills are questionable. Of course, Jamie is great organizer of the defence, but I think that Martin and Daniel can not be much worse.

That said, I would make Jamie 3rd choice since tomorrow. I think he is not one of the 2 best centrebacks at the club anymore if everyone is fit.

But, I am shocked that people speak only about " if Coates and Agger will be better, then be it" without counting on Martin Skrtel, our best and most consistent defender in 3 out of 4 last seasons.

Before you start to laugh or piss on my head, remember how immense he was when he came in January 08 after his bad debut. Was our outstanding defender until the end of 07/08 season. In season 08/09 he was best defender by a mile helping in our run for 2nd place and CL run, didn´t let Agger get a sniff when Martin was fit. He didn´t have good form in 09/10 but last season, especially since January he was immense again. People seem to have short memory in his case.

Yes, he has a mare of a month last December under Woy, yes he had 2 month bad spell in 09/10 after he has broken his jaw and then lost his place to Agger. But that´s all. Other than that he was always very good.

I think you're too biased. In fact I think you might even be related to him and he's making you do these posts. Is he paying you? Or has he threatened to flying kick you if you don't make X posts in favour of him every month?