You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Lawwell strong favourite to become the next CEO of LFC

StevieH

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Genuine question - would you expect to be aware of someone who is good for the job? I know David Deane has been mentioned because of how well he did with arsenal, but that's about it. He's also nearly 70 and so understandable if FSG haven't considered him. I don't people are going to be aware of how good or bad a CEO could be. We brought in someone from the FA with a great record there in the past and he turned out to be fucking useless.

If, as seems to be the case, he boosted Celtics revenues and was known to have done a good job as CEO there, then what else are you expecting?

It's a good question. I'll answer the first part, as I should, first. Yeah, I think I'd have a good handle on whether or not somebody was good for the job, if only judging by record, experience and reputation. For example, if somebody has increased revenues, expanded the club with view to future revenues, done so for a big club and comes with a good reputation, I'd say they'd have a fair crack at it. If, on the other hand, the reports are mixed, has done average for a big side and has a reputation that some thing isn't so great, then I'd steer clear.

The second part, as to what I'm expecting, I want somebody with a proven record of propelling a club forward

I mean, the reason why I question Lewwel is two fold: Some of his own fans say 'get rid' and, more importantly, the financial results are nothing to make you shit your undies about.

Financial Highlights

• Group turnover reduced by 15.0% to £61.72m.

• Operating expenses reduced by 6.7% to £57.25m.

• Profit from trading before asset transactions and exceptional items of £4.46m (2009: £11.23m).

• Investment in football personnel of £13.64m (2009: £8.53m).

• Gain on sale of intangible assets of £5.71m (2009: £1.55m).

• Exceptional operating expenses of £3.14m (2009:£2.78m).

• Loss before taxation of £2.13m (2009: £2.00m profit).

• Year-end net bank debt of £5.85m (2009: £1.51m).

I'm looking for somebody take control, but also be part of the team. Nobody coming in and taking control of transfers or whatever. Quietly but consistently acting for the good of the football club. Somebody with experience of stadia might be good, too.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just asked my Rangers mad mate about him and was told "he's thrown good money after bad and epitomises everything thats bad about the human race, a total bigot"

his words not mine.

Good job you went to a completely impartial source for that piece of wisdom.

As has been said before I wouldn't be able to identify a good MD from a line up. I should think we can trust the guys at FSG to identify the right man.

Asked my Glasgow mate about the biggot comment and he responded with....

well he hates Rangers...I think supporting celtic does not make you a bigot. Never, ever, believe anything one of them tells you.

They absolutely hate him, cos he insisted that the season should not be extended in 2008, when the gers had their UEFA cup run - 5 years earlier, they refused celtic any extra time, so Lawwell, used the word "Integrity" - the gers fans went bonkers - they call him Liewell

when your main rivals despise your chief exec, you know he is doing a good job.

Footy's mad these days isn't it? Wonder if previous generations gave a toss who was in their boardroom? People arguing accounts and figures and stuff, mad.

What next? Headlines stating Liverpool have 'won the race' to appoint a new marketing director from 'under the noses' of Chelsea?

I want football back. Bollocks to scouts and ad men and owners, I want player signings and a manager who isn't turd - so far I see only one of these things.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Footy's mad these days isn't it? Wonder if previous generations gave a toss who was in their boardroom? People arguing accounts and figures and stuff, mad.

What next? Headlines stating Liverpool have 'won the race' to appoint a new marketing director from 'under the noses' of Chelsea?

I want football back. Bollocks to scouts and ad men and owners, I want player signings and a manager who isn't turd - so far I see only one of these things.

Me and you both, Brother. Unfortunately, it's gone. Dead. It dead with the premier league. It's what your first paragraph is all about, isn't it; to win on the pitch you have to win off the pitch. We've sold our soul, more than once, and they're not giving it back.

• 2 months later...

Ian Ayre Front Runner for Liverpool CEO Job | Kopsource

Ian Ayre is the front runner for the vacant CEO’s job at Liverpool FC as owners Fenway Sports Group near the end of their recruitment search. Several high-profile candidates have been considered for the role, including former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein who has reportedly ruled himself out of the running.

Ayre has previously operated as commercial director at Anfield, meaning he already knows the club inside out. This makes him a favourable candidate for the position of CEO and it is thought that he could be handed the job before John Henry & co. head back to the USA following several high-powered meetings between senior figures at Liverpool.

Also on the agenda in these meetings is a permanent deal for Kenny Dalglish and Steve Clarke, as well as the redevelopment of Anfield. FSG are expected to make several major announcements before heading back to home soil, so stay tuned for the latest.