You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Opta Sports team of the decade

Evil_Ways

So opta sports have decided their Premier League team of the decade based on statistics, i presume.

Goalkeeper: Petr Cech

Defenders: Gary Neville, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole

Midfielders: Cristiano Ronaldo, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs

Forwards: Thierry Henry, Michael Owen

Agree, disagree ?

Apart from Gary Neville i have a hard time coming up with what i'd change...

I'd obviously want Carra and Hyypia in there, but considering what the Utd and Chelsea players have won, it's difficult to motivate that...

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 = 10 No?

Just to be on the geeky side.........

Decades, centuries and millenium should always start with the year 1 as in 2011 for the new decade. The millenium should have started with 2001, but unlike with the turn of the last century being celebrated on Jan 1, 1901, people are too impatient now.

The reason for this is that never was a year 0AD. It went 1BC.... 1AD.

ive noticed a lot of 'player/team/goal of the decade' recently, i thought the decade ended in 9 i.e 2000-2009 or 1990-99?, this is a new decade

That would only be 9 years wouldn't it and as a decade is 10 years....

No that would be ten years, 2000, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9

The mids and the forwards look like it's 99% based on number of goals scored in the Premiership.

Yawn.

no, its ten years unless 2001 was a the new decade, not 2000

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 = 10 No?

Just to be on the geeky side.........

Decades, centuries and millenium should always start with the year 1 as in 2011 for the new decade. The millenium should have started with 2001, but unlike with the turn of the last century being celebrated on Jan 1, 1901, people are too impatient now.

The reason for this is that never was a year 0AD. It went 1BC.... 1AD.

Doesn't matter when you think a decade should/shouldn't start. What is an absolute truth is that there is no fucking way the ratboy should be anywhere near the best XI.

Reina comfortably better than Cech.

Neville lucky to be in there.

The midfield has four great individuals, but it is not balanced enough - who will do the defending? Or will they not bother because they will score so many?

Henry definitely, but not Owen. Owen had half a decade under his belt, and I'm not sure his style would work with Henry anyway. Rooney and Henry, or Bergkamp and Henry would be better.