You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football is a simple game

StevieH

Fssss can believe you guys are questioning Roy's 35 year experience

There's no questioning his experience, or his success. In fact it's comparable to the likes of graham taylor, jimmy hill, dave bassett etc. And I wouldn't want them cunts as manager either. No excuses oggy, kick and chase is not acceptable here, success that can be described as moderate or relative- is not acceptable here. What is acceptable is complete domination in the league and europe. It is not unrealistic or unreasonable- it is what we strive for. Don't tell me to lower my expectations, my eyes have seen the glory.

'Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.'

Bill Shankly.

Wise words from a wise man!!! I am sick and tired of pundits and experts and journalists tieing themselves into knots with tactics.Yes you need defenders and they must be disciplined and not go charging forward looking for goals and midfielders that must combine attack with defence(although post the world cup attacking as a midfielder seems to have been outlawed)and strikers who should link with the midfield and hopefully put the ball between the sticks once in a while!

The problem is,and our game last week with City was an example of this,at the start of each game you have a point and it seems the ghost of Don Howe has returned to haunt football and so the players enter each game with too many instructions and not only have they become too afraid to lose(no win bonus an extra pressure)but they just become fucking robots and that must effect their natural ability to play football.Too tense as a result of coaches and managers goin mental with instructions on the touchline and i would love to see what they write on those scruffy bits of paper they show each sub before they come on! Like shankly said,football is a simple game.I don't entertain newspaper punditry and football focus as a rule.I go to the game or watch the match on tv and discuss what i have seen.I think also it's better to talk about what you'd like to happen than listen to others talk about how it will happen and why and run through all possibilities with a fine comb! I wanna pie and a pint and an honest game of football...just glad i am old enough to remember what that feels like!

Once again,great site lads ...take care!

Wise words from a wise man!!! I am sick and tired of pundits and experts and journalists tieing themselves into knots with tactics.

I actually think its the exact opposite with us at the moment. None of the pundits are daring to bring up Roys tactical flaws because the vast majority of them are delighted hes here.

They all know damn right well he doesnt have a fucking clue what hes doing. When Benitez was here the amount of complaints about his tactics from pundits was fucking deafening. There was times I more than agreed with them.

Right now though the double standards are appalling.

Football is a simple game. Just sign the biggest ugliest roid-munching bastards out there, and train six hours a day on pumping the ball into the opposition box and exploit your advantage in size and strenght. On average it's bound to get you enough goals to finish mid-table or thereabouts in the Premier League.

If the fans get too restless about the boring shite they get served up week in week out, sign a wee turkish flair player as a signal of intent that the side is developing. Don't worry, you can keep him on the bench, just make sure to get your point across that he's unable to play to instructions.

Once the criticism of Rafa has he loved tactics and formations.

Not a criticism of Roy, since Roy's style is as simple as they come. 4-4-2, let the players play. Why complain if you got what you wanted?

His tactics might be simple....but the let the players play isnt part of his ethos.

His tactics might be simple....but the let the players play isnt part of his ethos.

Really? Looks like the players are clueless with no instruction or direction. If that isn't letting the players just play, what is?

They don't play to strict formation. They stand haphazardly with their man marking, they are playing school team football.

Roy's tactics are to sit deep and let teams try and break you down.

Then, if you win the ball back, get it up front as soon as possible.

Sadly, counterattack cannot work against teams like Stoke who rely on being able to just punt the ball into your box.

Stoke pressed us all the way up the pitch and we had no answer. There were no options, our passing was awful and we leave Torres ridiculously isolated. Sadly, its not Sunday football where you can stick a shit-hot player upfront and just give them the ball everytime and expect them to do it all themselves.

Its testament to Gerrard and Torres that they are able to carry so many of the other players. They are our attacking threat in every game. Its just crap.