You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think he was amazing - did he score a goal at all? - but he certainly looked promising and like he could improve. Very quick, took on responsibility, tried things. Judging by those stats it looks similar, not enough end product at the moment, but if that improved then he could be brilliant.

You basing you opinion on a few world cup games?

You basing you opinion on a few world cup games?

Yeah.

Someone said he was amazing in the world cup, so I was responding to that. I thought he looked promising, but not amazing, he got into good positions and showed good bits of pace and skill but didn't quite finish it off.

I haven't seen him play for Udinese at all.

Judging by those stats someone else put up that show he's averaged 3 goals a season for them, it looks like he doesn't yet get enough goals for a top class wide player.

So I sort of extrapolated and figured he was promising, but not quite the finished article for Udinese as well.

If you have seen more of him then happy to hear your impressions.

Luis Suarez signing tomorrow according to a few people:

Liverpool are set to sign Luis Suarez, subject to a medical, tomorrow morning. #lfc less than a minute ago via Echofon

Michael da Silva (mjdasilva) on Twitter

He's a journalist from London, according to someone on RAWK.

More info from TIA:

"Whisper making it's round on the Italian based tweeters I follow is that a fee has been agreed with Suarez and that he'll have a medical tomorrow. No idea how much truth there is in it or even which Suarez it is or why the Italian people have picked it up but thought I may as well post it here."

Also a poster on RAWK reckons we are close to signing Ashley Young and Alexis Sanchez (whoever the fuck he is).

High chances it could be bollocks.

They would be 3 excellent additions, but would they join a club that probably won't be in the Champions League next season and hasn't got a permanent manager in place?

They would be 3 excellent additions, but would they join a club that probably won't be in the Champions League next season and hasn't got a permanent manager in place?

Yeah not sure about the other 2 but I reckon Ashley Young would jump at the chance of coming here the way things are going with Villa.

Whether we'd want him or not is another thing.

Luis Suarez tops Spurs transfer wish list as David Beckham move stalls | Metro.co.uk

The Uruguay star has been linked with a move to the Premier League since his impressive performance during the World Cup in the summer.

Liverpool are also said to be keen on signing the 23-year-old, who, after insisting he did not want to leave Holland, is considering a move away from Ajax.

MORE: Spurs transfer news

Suarez has continued to attract attention from teams around Europe due to his superb form in the Dutch league, with 110 goals in 156 appearances for Ajax.

After being reluctant to let go of their star striker, Ajax now appear determined to sell him off to the highest bidder, with Manchester United and Real Madrid also linked to the forward.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp is believed to be keen on strengthening his squad in the January transfer window but recently admitted attempts to sign LA Galaxy star David Beckham on loan may have failed.

Read more: Luis Suarez tops Spurs transfer wish list as David Beckham move stalls | Metro.co.uk

What type of wages would Young be on at the moment?......reason I ask is I get the impression the immediate priority from an operational point of view is the reduction of the clubs wage bill by a significant margin. Young would probably command high wages. I'd assume that Sanchez and Suarez would be on a significant lower wage structure so might fit the policy.

That's a bit low given he's Blackpool's playmaker.

I have to say, as for as Ashley Young's concerned, I'm not convinced.

His career seems to have stalled at Villa in the past 18 months. Looked a top player a couple of seasons ago and perhaps needs a move and to work with the right sort of manager to kick start his career.

He has pace and a very good delivery. If the fee was £10-12m then I think he would be worth the gamble.

His career seems to have stalled at Villa in the past 18 months. Looked a top player a couple of seasons ago and perhaps needs a move and to work with the right sort of manager to kick start his career.

He has pace and a very good delivery. If the fee was £10-12m then I think he would be worth the gamble.

It's not unexpected as he spent that time under O'Neill, a coach that demands intensity from his players, but doesn't actually improve them. They can play to a certain level by showing energy and commitment, but on a technical level they plateau. The same happened with Leicester City and Celtic, and you can also point to the stagnation of players like Agbonlahor and Davies to bear this out. Milner didn't improve technically as he's always had the level of ability we've seen from him, but he just had a spell of form that got him noticed and earned him a move. Same with Barry. Basically, players under O'Neill don't get better, but they often find good form.

Agreed. Ashley Young is a terrific player IMO - and you're right in that he has stagnated there, which is probably the time to test the waters.

He has pace, dribbling ability, can score goals, and a very rare attribute for a modern day English winger - the ability to deliver a cross right on a teammates head. Also excellent over the dead ball.

Would love him here.

That's a bit low given he's Blackpool's playmaker.

I have to say, as for as Ashley Young's concerned, I'm not convinced.

Gives us width and has pace, exactly then kind of player we need.

If we could buy two of Young, N'zogbia, Elia, Hazard we would become a very hard team to contain.

In addition we need a forward, and Lukaku would be a great signing...