You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TalkSport - MOTD

ElScouser13

I was listening to TalkSport yesterday, and they were discussing MOTD. They were slating it, saying how bad the punditry was. They pointed out Shearer having no idea who Ben Arfa was.

It got me thinking....am i the only one that watches MOTD just for the goals and actually doesn't give two shiney ones what the pundits say (with Hansen the exception)?

Thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to TalkSport yesterday, and they were discussing MOTD. They were slating it, saying how bad the punditry was. They pointed out Shearer having no idea who Ben Arfa was.

It got me thinking....am i the only one that watches MOTD just for the goals and actually doesn't give two shiney ones what the pundits say (with Hansen the exception)?

Thoughts?

I think it shows a stunning lack of self awareness from talksport.

TalkSport aren't exactly impartial about media rivals. But MOTD has a challenge these days. I'm one of the few people left who, if we aren't playing on a Saturday, prefers to avoid the results and wait for MOTD, and that's so difficult a task that you may as well give up. When the programme finally arrives, it does need freshening up. Lineker is a poor presenter, because (unlike Des Lynam) he lacks basic journalistic skills and doesn't ask what the audiience might ask because he's an ex-pro. He's also ludicrously eager to lord it over Hansen, so even when Hansen comes out with a controversial criticism, such as on Walcott, Lineker sneers at him as if he's some mad punter off the street. Bizarre. You wouldn't know that Hansen had such an illustrious career from watching Lineker mock him week after week. But the pundits just need a better presenter to push them - I agree with Collymore that, at present, it's too much like a golf clique. The worse problem is the editing of the actual games themselves - they need to improve the pacing of the highlights, and have a bit more flexibility about the ordering of the matches (it used to be us almost always on second from last, now it's another team, but it seems a season-long bias whoever it is). But for TalkSport to moan about MOTD is a bit like Simon Cowell tut-tutting about Wittgenstein, and I still much prefer MOTD to anything on Sky.

They pointed out Shearer having no idea who Ben Arfa was

Collymore claimed that. What Shearer actually said was he wasn't aware of clubs being interested in the player prior to his move. But as Collymore tipped Al Ahly of Egypt to win the 2008 World Club Championship, unaware they had been knocked out of the tournament at the preliminary stage 24 hours earlier, he should perhaps realise that everyone is capable of the odd mistake and learn a bit of humility.

I need MOTD to be there, because I've reached the stage where I don't want to give up more than hour or so to thinking about other clubs, so Jeff Stelling's interminable 1970s comedy club is a no-no, and Sky's later mancwankathon is similarly unappealing (and I don't have their red button options), so it has to be on the Beeb.

I need MOTD to be there, because I've reached the stage where I don't want to give up more than hour or so to thinking about other clubs, so Jeff Stelling's interminable 1970s comedy club is a no-no, and Sky's later mancwankathon is similarly unappealing (and I don't have their red button options), so it has to be on the Beeb.

Oh, nobody watches Sky's analysis or Goals on Sunday. It's wrong. And while I do quite like Stelling, and Thommo, I *really* hate LeTissier and Charlie fucking Nicholas and the gurning halfwit Merson.

And to be honest, I'm not sure I even enjoy the (naturally truncated) post-match analysis on MOTD either. The bit where the match is over, they discuss a few possibly contentious points, then they show the bits to highlight their possibly contentious points, with a little logo like "Liverpool wastefulness" and lots of players frozen with red rings around them "circled here".

Fuck OFF.

Lineker is a smug jugg eared tit. I can't wait for the day this arrogant bastard is off my screen.

I met him and King Kenny at a charity golf day over here and it was chalk and cheese. The King was an absolute pleasure to chat with whilst Jughead came across as a smug bastard. I guess I didn't help things when I asked him to sign my sons programme despite that fact that he was an ex bluenose.

TalkSport aren't exactly impartial about media rivals. But MOTD has a challenge these days. I'm one of the few people left who, if we aren't playing on a Saturday, prefers to avoid the results and wait for MOTD, and that's so difficult a task that you may as well give up. When the programme finally arrives, it does need freshening up. Lineker is a poor presenter, because (unlike Des Lynam) he lacks basic journalistic skills and doesn't ask what the audiience might ask because he's an ex-pro. He's also ludicrously eager to lord it over Hansen, so even when Hansen comes out with a controversial criticism, such as on Walcott, Lineker sneers at him as if he's some mad punter off the street. Bizarre. You wouldn't know that Hansen had such an illustrious career from watching Lineker mock him week after week. But the pundits just need a better presenter to push them - I agree with Collymore that, at present, it's too much like a golf clique. The worse problem is the editing of the actual games themselves - they need to improve the pacing of the highlights, and have a bit more flexibility about the ordering of the matches (it used to be us almost always on second from last, now it's another team, but it seems a season-long bias whoever it is). But for TalkSport to moan about MOTD is a bit like Simon Cowell tut-tutting about Wittgenstein, and I still much prefer MOTD to anything on Sky.

Look away now...

Yeah, i agree on the TalkSport thing, they are a bit contradictory.

My main point though was, does anyone actually tune into MOTD and get excited about what the likes of Alan Shearer has to say?

I only want to see the goals, and so take everything they say with a pinch of salt. Also agree on the actual highlights they show, a caller yesterday pointed out the Gary Neville dive v Sunderland that they didnt show.

Last time I tried that - I found myself running a bit late so had to Sky+ MOTD, and when did the recording of the programme start? Yep you guessed it - just as BBC News were showing the results on-screen :wallbutt:

I met him and King Kenny at a charity golf day over here and it was chalk and cheese. The King was an absolute pleasure to chat with whilst Jughead came across as a smug bastard. I guess I didn't help things when I asked him to sign my sons programme despite that fact that he was an ex bluenose.

My hatred stems from the fact I met him twice as a kid and the tosser refused a polite request for an autograph. Once at the Open in Royal Lytham ("No, I'm watching the golf") another at the Tranmere WC Final (blanked me and carried on walking). Fuckin hate the prick.

Im amazed its not been said yet but Stan Collymore is a quite massive bellend. And by quite massive i mean - absolutely gigantic.

He's just a bitter, self absorbent cunt. He watches match of the day and see's Hansen, Shearer and Lineker and see's 3 guys who are absolutely loved by Liverpool, Newcastle, Spurs/Leicester/BlueShite fans and England supporters (not Hansen obviously) as icons of the game, as well as their respective clubs and wonders where he went wrong. Stan has absolutely no affiliation to any of the clubs he's ever played at, as he fucked up every chance he was ever given, and never made the step up to international superstardom - which those 3 did - and just attempt's to muddy the names of them in a sad attempt to promote himself. Its pathetic, as is he. It would be nice if he disappeared from broadcasting altogether. The massive cunt.

MOTD has its flaws, maybe its a bit outdated, but its the only rival out there to SlySports so it gets my support.

What I find a bit ironic is that Collymore was such a loner as a player, but as a broadcaster he's suddenly become this obsessive team man. Apparently he heard Alan Green at the World Cup make some throwaway remark about staying with 5 Live and not accepting 'cheap imitations,' and, while the rest of TalkSport ignored it, Collymore went ballistic and spent the next month trying to seek Green out to chin him. Maybe Parry, Brazil & Co join him for dogging sessions.

Guest PurpleNose
Linekar and Hansen have just been taking the piss out of the comments by dropping sly jokes on whether their analysis is good enough.

Whilst in the process offering really fucking shit analysis.