You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Book Club - Book 2

Guido

Right, i've gone through my 'to be read' pile of about 100 frickin books and tried to pick out a shorter novel this time to help more people to get involved with the discussion and/or finish it within the month. I've settled on Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar', which looks ace.

Under £4 on Amazon and only 234 pages long, meaning those of us reading other stuff should be better able to fit this in. Discussion starting weekend of 23rd/24th October if that's good for everyone.

Someone inside the matrix sticky this for us please.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, thought it might be a bit different for a few people, but i chose it anyway as it's supposedly very accessible and engaging, despite any 'high-brow' notions people may have about it.

Cool. I am really looking forward to it. i hope to be able to get it at lunch time, as i work round the corner from a massive bookshop.

Read it about 20 years ago and its still on the shelf so it has survived numerous clear outs. Very good choice.

If you dont know anything about the author it will be worth at least reading her wiki profile as well because a discussion of The Bell Jar really needs that context.

Read it about 20 years ago and its still on the shelf so it has survived numerous clear outs. Very good choice.

If you dont know anything about the author it will be worth at least reading her wiki profile as well because a discussion of The Bell Jar really needs that context.

Good call. Especially true in this case as it's her only novel and is semi-autobiographical. Would always recommend at least a brief look at biography/context with any author though. Even a 5-minute read of Wiki adds so much more to any text.

Can I now nominate Guido as the GF's resident literary/high brow dude? This shit's my job but I'm nowhere near his league.

Nah. The likes of Camus and Kafka got me into reading novels when i was about 17 and as such mean quite a lot to me, but the Gormenghast trilogy affected me more than their entire works combined.

Nah. The likes of Camus and Kafka got me into reading novels when i was about 17 and as such mean quite a lot to me, but the Gormenghast trilogy affected me more than their entire works combined.

Am I the only one picturing Camus and Kafka round at Guido's house telling him to put down his gameboy and read a book.

Has everyone finished Transition?

It took me ages to get a copy, then when I was about 100 pages into it I had to start again as I was confused.

I have nearly finished it now. I haven't opened the Book 1 thread in case of spoilers. I'm really enjoying it.

I will read The Bell Jar as soon as I have finished. And nothing by Ted Hughes ever...