You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy completely bullied by baconface

Nathanzx

Alan Hansen will tell you Paisley was the hardest manager that ever lived.

Remember Fairclough getting a hatrick in a 5-3 win at Norwich and being dropped for the next game because paisley thought the team would be better without him in the team.

Paisley was inspiring as a manager otherwise he wouldnt have one all those trophies.

Loved his remarks in 1977 last time I was in Rome was on a tank this time were taking the European cup home

That's nice Nick but it has absolutely nothing to do with the points being made in this thread!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelsea look totally uninspired at the moment don't they?

All of this stuff is absolute bullshit.

As for the bit in bold, you do that on the training pitch, not in press conferences, in my opinion.

What are you burbling about - Ancelotti can be as amiable as he likes as he has the record and medals to show for the success in his career - Hodgeson can be as amiable as he likes when he wins the prem.

I have to agree with Brownie here. Not all football managers are unsophisticated, nor supporters. Benitez was the exception to the norm over the last 50 years. His modus operandi inevitably meant that he would be stupid enough to play to the neanderthals in the fanbase in stoking the antipathy against Ferguson with a load of ill-timed and bizarre outbursts, which worked so well that Ferguson had to console himself by winning more stuff.

Our managers have a history of showing a lot more class in conducting themselves with other managers and with the media.

I want Hodgson to provide an example in behaving in a dignified fashion - it would be nice to recapture at least some aspect of the Liverpool Way, at least while winning anything would appear to be beyond us. This does not equate to subservience, except to some agenda-driven whoppers on here.

Sophistication and standing your ground are not mutually exclusive. I'm not saying he should have called him a whiskey-nosed cunt, but something along the lines of "I made it clear before the game that I regarded Sir Alex as a friend. Having heard some of the remarks he's made, which I found quite disrespectful, I'll be reconsidering that".

It's not about Benitez vs. Hodgson - I've deliberately avoided referring to Rafa. I don't think that standing up for yourself is inherently mindless, nor is it classless. I think it's very important in a team game which has a great deal to do with confidence and pride. You might see Hodgson's silence as dignifying - I see it as diffident. I think that it is very hard to be both diffident and self-confident because we're hierarchical creatures and you are setting yourself below a theoretical rival in that hierarchy.

If Roy hadn't made those comments before the match, I would be entirely agreeing with you. But the fact that he was at pains to illustrate the respect he had for Ferguson before the game, and that that was completely thrown back in his face in a manner clearly intended to humiliate, suggests that a response would have been appropriate. Again, only my take on it.

As regards Ancellotti, no doubt a great manager. But if you have a look at this... Jose Mourinho vs Carlo Ancelotti - Mirror Football Blog - MirrorFootball.co.uk

...he doesn't take any shit.

It isn't about going looking for spats, but I think it's about fighting your corner if somebody else does.

Sophistication and standing your ground are not mutually exclusive. I'm not saying he should have called him a whiskey-nosed cunt, but something along the lines of "I made it clear before the game that I regarded Sir Alex as a friend. Having heard some of the remarks he's made, which I found quite disrespectful, I'll be reconsidering that". It's not about Benitez vs. Hodgson - I've deliberately avoided referring to Rafa. I don't think that standing up for yourself is inherently mindless, nor is it classless. I think it's very important in a team game which has a great deal to do with confidence and pride. You might see Hodgson's silence as dignifying - I see it as diffident. I think that it is very hard to be both diffident and self-confident because we're hierarchical creatures and you are setting yourself below a theoretical rival in that hierarchy.

If Roy hadn't made those comments before the match, I would be entirely agreeing with you. But the fact that he was at pains to illustrate the respect he had for Ferguson before the game, and that that was completely thrown back in his face in a manner clearly intended to humiliate, suggests that a response would have been appropriate. Again, only my take on it.

As regards Ancellotti, no doubt a great manager. But if you have a look at this... Jose Mourinho vs Carlo Ancelotti - Mirror Football Blog - MirrorFootball.co.uk

...he doesn't take any shit.

It isn't about going looking for spats, but I think it's about fighting your corner if somebody else does.

Haha!

Do you not think that most of these managers are friends anyway?

They sometimes attend coaching courses and seminars together and form friendships or at least a respect for each other.

You'd be surprised at who is a friend of who.

Heard a radio interview with King Kenny saying he supported Purple Nose being given more time just before he was on the verge of being sacked,which obviously never happened,worst luck.

Is King Kenny a kiss arse now then?

Benitez was the exception to the norm over the last 50 years. His modus operandi inevitably meant that he would be stupid enough to play to the neanderthals in the fanbase in stoking the antipathy against Ferguson with a load of ill-timed and bizarre outbursts, which worked so well that Ferguson had to console himself by winning more stuff.

I thought Rafa was deluded until reading this.

That's the whooshing sound above your head.

For instance - if you're offering the "nice guys win" with Ancelotti and Paisley - I'll offer you Ferguson and Mourinho.

Now tell me - where's the whooshing sound coming from?

Haha you're totally just re-inforcing the point that i'm making!

Yeah but is that why he was a great manager and won titles? No, it was his ability to coach, buy players, man-manage etc...

That's the point.

I'm not saying it does, it has very little effect on the way they manage.

I just find it peculiar that stringvest is saying Benitez is our only manager in 50 years who doesn't respect other managers in the press.

I'm not saying it does, it has very little effect on the way they manage.

I just find it peculiar that stringvest is saying Benitez is our only manager in 50 years who doesn't respect other managers in the press.

Oh right, well i'll let you get on with that debate then. The only point i'm making is that all this macho stuff has nothing to do with a managers ability to win games.

Sophistication and standing your ground are not mutually exclusive. I'm not saying he should have called him a whiskey-nosed cunt, but something along the lines of "I made it clear before the game that I regarded Sir Alex as a friend. Having heard some of the remarks he's made, which I found quite disrespectful, I'll be reconsidering that".

Keegan did "fight his corner" when fighting for the title, lost, and still is a laughing stock because of it. Wenger and Mourinho had limited success against him, but lost their fair number of battles. Rafa fought his corner more recently, and lost.

The best way of dealing with Saddam's wumming, is to ignore him. I'm not interested in what he has to say.

Oh right, well i'll let you get on with that debate then. The only point i'm making is that all this macho stuff has nothing to do with a managers ability to win games.

Ahhhh so you did completely miss the point he was making - his point was that it's alright to be amiable if you have a winning record or team. Being amiable to another winning manager doesn't serve the purpose of firing up your team to try and beat the other managers team.

Don't thank me.

Ahhhh so you did completely miss the point he was making - his point was that it's alright to be amiable if you have a winning record or team. Being amiable to another winning manager doesn't serve the purpose of firing up your team to try and beat the other managers team.

Don't thank me.

And again, haha!