You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he Fuck have an excellent debut. DID HE FUCK AS LIKE.

He was steady - that's all, steady. Throughout the 90 minutes I remember him doing one thing which I thought was good. Everything else was designed NOT to make a mistake.

Steady is not Liverpool FC.

Excellent debut my arse.

Go have a wank lad. May calm you down a bit.

It's funny how the media's (not just SKY's) line of questioning differs with Roy from Rafa:

Compare this opening gambit:

"Roy, not many teams win at St. Andrew's..."

with:

"Rafa, another frustrating afternoon..."

Geoff Shreeves was treating Uncle Roy with kid gloves n'all.

Guest Pistonbroke

Pretty mediocre performance that with the odd bit of football thrown in. Torres, Maxi, Jovanovic, Johson and Lucas were shite, looked like they couldn't be arsed. Birmingham were quick to close down the space and those players i mentioned were having a competition to see who could give the ball back the most. Reina, Carra, Skrytel and Konchesky had good games, especially Reina. Can't wait until we ditch the Poulsen Lucas combo in midfield, like watching the chuckle brothers.

Still, it's a point away at a ground were not many teams will take all 3. But we need to start playing more positively or the players heads are going to start dropping after a few defeats. Has a uncanny resemblance to last season already.

I honestly thought Rafa was the only man who could sit there and watch his bad team selection for 70 mins without contemplating bringing an attacking player on. Now Roy has proved he is willing to do the same and it's massively depressing. How can he sit there and watch 60 yard punt after 60 yard punt, most hitting the centre halves and not try to change it. Gerrard and Torres again struggling to get in the game throughout the first 60-70 minutes. How many times do we have to play them there before someone realises it just doesn't work anymore. Someone tell me the last game the two played well together in them roles?

Unfortunately the one game we pulled Gerrard back into midfield and played 442 was away to city. We hadn't started that way for ages and it showed. It doesn't mean it won't work against average teams like this. We need to change the whole system and stick to it. It's the only we are going to dig ourselves out of this shocking rut we are in. We haven't put a good attacking performance in for so long.

I am really starting to dislike Glen Johnson. Complete luxury full-back and pointless signing. He is okay when you are winning 3-0 at home v Stoke or somebody but lacks the fight and character to be part of a top side when you need to dig in (I still blame him for the beach ball goal). Why were Chelsea so keen to get rid? He was okay at Portsmouth, big fish in a small pond there.

So you're saying we should improve with Cole in the side, who Chelsea were keen to get rid of?

Well we did ok and Konchesky,Poulsen and Meireles were among our better players.

Its usually up to the home team to try to win rather than the opposition.

I become less and less impressed with Glen Johnson every game I watch,he really is an awful defender.

I'm less than impressed with Jovanovic but he has only played a couple of games so far.

I'm not unduly worried so far,I think Cole will give us a few more options in the league.

We still lack width though,very like last year.

This is fucking unbelievable - we didn't "Do ok" our man of the match was Pepe Reina - AGAINST BIRMINGHAM. Johnson, Gerrard, Maxi were shite. Poulson made Lucas look brilliant in the first half and the only reason people can say he looked better in the second is because it would have been impossible for him to get worse!!!!!

I am really starting to dislike Glen Johnson. Complete luxury full-back and pointless signing. He is okay when you are winning 3-0 at home v Stoke or somebody but lacks the fight and character to be part of a top side when you need to dig in (I still blame him for the beach ball goal). Why were Chelsea so keen to get rid? He was okay at Portsmouth, big fish in a small pond there.

It wasn't great today but the criticism of the manager is already getting way over the top in some parts. It is a little early to suggest this will be the norm under Roy away from home just because of his Fulham days but I just hope for the time being he is just sticking to the basics and trying not to change too much too quickly from the previous regime and gradually change things over time. If he is still playing Poulsen and Lucas together in a couple of months then of course questions will be asked then and rightly so but maybe he is just trying to make us hard to beat then when we get the likes of Cole back in the team consistently things will hopefully improve.

I predicted we would get off to a sluggish poor start this season and that things will improve come October, November once we start seeing a settled side as Roy isn't the type of manager to make wholesale changes game after game.

He has come into farcical circumstances, players coming and going, a World Cup year, one of our main players undermining things and being sold and that isn't even taking into account the ownership situation but Roy wouldn't use that as an excuse anyway.

Konchesky was easily our best outfield player, a solid debut for him, he got forward to good effect when he could and used the ball intelligently apart from one mistake in the second half when Jerome missed a header at the back post.

Cameron Jerome has a fraction of Torres' ability but still seen fit to work had and work the channels for his team and close things down. Bar a couple of instances I hardly seen that from Torres today and if Babel had produced that kind of performance he would be getting crucified for it.

I think most of the criticism against the manager has been deserved. You are not seriously suggesting that it will be acceptable to see the CM pairing of Lucas and Poulsen for another couple of months? I never want to see it again, everyone can see that it is totally hopeless.

Yes, we have problems up to our neck at this club. It makes it even more important that the manager doesn`t fuck up and make things worse than necessary. I am totally underwhelmed so far.

I'm not asking for a round of applause, it's just that this manager out syndrome that seems to have affected us saddens me. We are better, yes, demand more but let's not sink to the depths of others. The only thing we have that currently distinguishes us from the rest is the fans and the history. Let's not rely on the history. Shankly lost his second home game 0-4, glad some of you weren't around then.

I was around - and one of the things about that is that he was brought in specifically to get us into the first division and his building programme started immediately. He went on from that ignominious start to get us out of the second division and made us into a team that dominated Europe.

Do you think Hodgson will make us into a team that the rest of Europe will fear?

I miss those Asian ESPN streams.

We tend to get better actual analysis for the most part than the Sky Audience. Less storyline driven wanking and a bit more reality. Macca is the best of ESPN/STAR SPORTS football panel, and he's so passionate about us that it makes for really compelling viewing. He was furious in the studio today, face all red, neck vein bulging, it was fantastic.

We get McAteer on as well on ocassion, and while his analysis is piss poor, his involvement in our games is great, he always seems happy when we win and pissed off when we lose.

Much prefer the Asian coverage to Sky.

Am posting here once, because mainly am just sick of the hysteria that surrounds every fucking game that we don't win.

To get straight to the point : we didn't have Cole, and Meireles only came on towards the end of the game. We lacked one main thing and that was any type of creativity. Might've been Andy Gray that said we had no 'craft', well blueshite or not he was spot on, and with Cole back in the team things might get better.

The only thing that bothers me is depth, if we're without Cole we could be fucked, but saying that Roy might have to start trusting in Pacheco more anyway and just let the kid go for it.

That's me done, fuck all the drama.

Edited by Red Phoenix

So you're saying we should improve with Cole in the side, who Chelsea were keen to get rid of?

We didn't pay 17m for Joe Cole though did we? For a 17m full back in our current financial climate I expected much more if I am honest. He isn't exactly an all-rounder is he? He is a technically gifted footballer and comfortable with either foot but his last two predecessors were much more reliable players.

We didn't pay 17m for Joe Cole though did we? For a 17m full back in our current financial climate I expected much more if I am honest. He isn't exactly an all-rounder is he? He is a technically gifted footballer and comfortable with either foot but his last two predecessors were much more reliable players.

We paid 17m for an 8m player John. I said so at the time and I've seen nothing since that makes me think he was/is worth anything more, even including English tax in the fee.

Carra and Skrtel should NEVER be a partnership again.

Soto is better than Skrtel, much much better. Skrtel aerially is one of the worst players I've ever seen.

Personally I'd like to see Agger and Soto as I think they would compliment each other.

Poulson and Lucas are too limited to play together. Poulson is a holding player and so is Lucas, neither are technically gifted and they allowed Brum to close us down far too easily today. Poulson and Gerrard with Meireles works.

Jovanovic and Maxi don't look in the right place mentally to me. Both are talented players but neither was anything but average at best today. Cole is more talented than both and it will help when he returns but we really need a Turan type player who is a bit special and can help us run the ball better.

We will improve and we already have under Roy when you consider that we clearly arn't fit and ready all over the pitch and while it isn't near good enough now, we will get there if we give it time.

He paid £17m for him because he thought he had more money, I'm sure if he knew he wasn't going to get funds for every player he wanted he would've spent less on a Right Back.

This is fucking unbelievable - we didn't "Do ok" our man of the match was Pepe Reina - AGAINST BIRMINGHAM. Johnson, Gerrard, Maxi were shite. Poulson made Lucas look brilliant in the first half and the only reason people can say he looked better in the second is because it would have been impossible for him to get worse!!!!!

Hardly ever agree with you but today, I have to. We were poor

Do you think Hodgson will make us into a team that the rest of Europe will fear?

No, not on what I've seen so far and I never for one minute thought we could attract a manager that could do that with the club in the state its in. Ironically we might be better in Europe and the english manager looks to be struggling on home turf.

8 games, 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat but no good performances as yet. I would give the man some time though, I'm not sure Pellegrini and the like would have even understood what Birmingham away would be like early on, remember how Rafa was baffled when we went to Burnley 5 months in like it would be a practice game for his reserves.

The only saving grace I've seen as yet is that the second halves have almost always been better than the first which is at least a sign of something. Last year you knew from the first half what you were going to get in the second.

Carra Skrtl with Poulsen and Lucas as an anti football spine is begging for a point or a 1-0 defeat. Play it safe by not playing at all. That lack of guile and movement is going to effect the rest of the team, Maxi doesn't have the pace, Jova seems to lack the ability to pass well so they all become isolated and ineffectual in the end, moves break down etc.

No, not on what I've seen so far and I never for one minute thought we could attract a manager that could do that with the club in the state its in. Ironically we might be better in Europe and the english manager looks to be struggling on home turf.

8 games, 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat but no good performances as yet. I would give the man some time though, I'm not sure Pellegrini and the like would have even understood what Birmingham away would be like early on, remember how Rafa was baffled when we went to Burnley 5 months in like it would be a practice game for his reserves.

The only saving grace I've seen as yet is that the second halves have almost always been better than the first which is at least a sign of something. Last year you knew from the first half what you were going to get in the second.

Kenneth?

We seem to be relying an awful lot on Cole not being the player he was at Chelsea.

For what it's worth I'd scrap the whole Cole in the hole business and move him out on to the wing, play Gerrard behind Torres, and Raul and Lucas/Poulsen in the Center.

Joe Cole as trequarista does not convince me at all.